Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:54:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Christmas Adverts 2019

Started by BritishHobo, November 10, 2019, 09:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

The time has come once again. Bit of discussion in the CaB Men thread already:

Quote from: icehaven on November 05, 2019, 10:02:08 PM
Oh here come the Christmas ads, and I'm already ambivalent about the Argos one. I'm usually hugely averse to ads using existing music, particularly music I actually like, however by using Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About Me" they've at least made one more inevitably hideously repeated Xmas ad slightly more bearable by not inflicting Christmas music or any other mawkish pop crap on us 199 times a day, but a bearable and pleasingly unseasonable soft rock classic instead. Also I like the slightly self deprecating implication, "don't you forget about Argos, with all your online options, don't don't don't don't." etc.

Quote from: Cerys on November 05, 2019, 10:10:52 PM
Christmas ads?  Famous Grouse the way they used to be or GTFO.

Quote from: Phil_A on November 06, 2019, 08:45:08 AM
Argos have now started referring to their catalogue as The Book Of Dreams, presumably in reference to that Bill Bailey bit from years back. Odd.

"And why is it laminated? To catch the tears of joy!"

Quote from: icehaven on November 09, 2019, 02:59:23 PM
M&S's jumpers one is like a horror film where everyone gets possessed, I'm not convinced it wasn't pitched as a Halloween ad until they remembered basic middle aged people don't really do Halloween so switched it to Christmas. And what is "Go jumpers for Christmas" supposed to mean? It's not even a play on anything, it's just nonsense.

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 10, 2019, 09:08:48 AM
That kind of ad makes me feel really claustrophobic, like being bullied into forced fun. Remember the Tesco one from a few years back where the family all bully the goth kid into wearing his cracker hat? Wankers.

BritishHobo

Very.co.uk are getting in on the John Lewis game with a sugary animation set to slow, emotional music: https://youtu.be/s_4-VsJnUXE But it all feels a bit by-numbers. Sad old man (although he just looks like a fine old man), spirit of giving.

BlodwynPig

Have JL shut down business? No advert this year i hope

BritishHobo

There'll be some massive countdown thing about it.

Blue Jam

Whatever cloying high-budget shite John Lewis have got planned for Xmas 2019, Robert Dyas have TOTALLY outdone them:

https://youtu.be/_YS2dSa-Ud0

BlodwynPig

Bus services delayed because COCA COLA TOUR

i thought a bike race at first before it clicked and i rampaged

petril

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 10, 2019, 09:15:09 AM
Very.co.uk are getting in on the John Lewis game with a sugary animation set to slow, emotional music: https://youtu.be/s_4-VsJnUXE But it all feels a bit by-numbers. Sad old man (although he just looks like a fine old man), spirit of giving.

not a patch on 2013 when they had this piece on their advert. perfectly captured half waking up at twelve minutes past six on a dark November morning knowing it's going to be cold, shit and grim PLUS you have to think about Christmas shopping, but at least for the nine minutes of snooze you're cosy and warm in bed

imitationleather

Ikea mix it up a bit by opting for grime in their first Christmas ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0EKS2YfLc0

Everyone who was into grime said it jumped the shark ten years ago. But now even my mum will be telling me grime is no longer cool!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on November 11, 2019, 02:18:31 PM
Ikea mix it up a bit by opting for grime in their first Christmas ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0EKS2YfLc0

Everyone who was into grime said it jumped the shark ten years ago. But now even my mum will be telling me grime is no longer cool!

What should mothers be listening to now?

idunnosomename

THE JOHN LEWIS AD HAS DROPPED AND IM B A W L I N G BECAUSE I'M AN EASILY MANIPULATED SLAVE TO COMMERCE

poo

just watch numberblocks on iplayer on a loop - no ads for me pathetic suckers

Norton Canes

Haven't watched this year's JLP ad hope I never do but I did glean a quantum of amusement from the fact that they've named their CGI melancholy provoker 'Edgar the Dragon' (Enter the Dragon)

Icehaven

Why is Mariah Carey on the crisps?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 14, 2019, 11:07:11 AM
THE JOHN LEWIS AD HAS DROPPED AND IM B A W L I N G BECAUSE I'M AN EASILY MANIPULATED SLAVE TO COMMERCE

The Sun have a live feed for reactions to the Ad

Cuellar

Hate hate hate hate all the cutesie Amazon ads, as if ordering all your christmas tat on Amazon DOESN'T directly result in an overworked warehouse employee shitting in a nappy or pissing into a plastic bottle so they don't miss their targets.

Hate hate hate hate the Dunelm Christmas With The Fullers advert - hope their house burns down on christmas eve and they try and shelter in a dunelm megastore and get turned away. Perhaps this is what I get for watching no TV apart from Poirots on ITV3.

I wish the PC brigade WOULD ban christmas.

BlodwynPig

JL one is appalling, rubbish, crap song, cookie cutter plot, awful protagonist. GRAVE

jobotic

Quote from: icehaven on November 14, 2019, 11:32:38 AM
Why is Mariah Carey on the crisps?

loves crisps.

Famous for being a diva who demands that a packet of Wotsits is brought to her in her dressing room, each individual Wotsit placed on a gold leaf balanced on the heads of ever decreasingly sized small dogs. And a trough of Skips.

boki

beanheadmcginty

Walkers have completely missed a trick there. If they wanted a Christmas number one singer they should have hired Noddy Holder for much less money and teamed him up with Lineker to make Noddy and Big Ears.

Icehaven

I challenge even the most ardent holly jolly Christmasophile not to tear down their tree and move to Iran after hearing Paddy McGuinness say "Panettone".

JesusAndYourBush

I've still not seen the John Lewis ad yet but they played a bit of the song on the radio and it was very mediocre and autotuned, which is probably what I should have expected.

Jasha

Amazon are responsible for many ills in this world but ruining The Blues Brothers must be top of the list

Cuntbeaks

The Tesco ad is an absolute fucking abomination. A bullet in the head for every single cunt involved with it.

seepage

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 17, 2019, 01:59:44 PM
I've still not seen the John Lewis ad yet but they played a bit of the song on the radio and it was very mediocre and autotuned, which is probably what I should have expected.

it's that Bastille twerp's horrible voice

Blue Jam

Watch some ITV via the ITV Hub app on my Xbox today. Among the suggestions for recent and popular programmes to watch, I saw the homepage had an option to watch the John Lewis Christmas advert. Grave.