Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,323
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:32:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Nolan Batmen

Started by popcorn, November 10, 2019, 12:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: rasta-spouse on November 10, 2019, 05:13:05 PM

How do you feel when watching anything by Aaron Sorkin?

I generally like him! I've certainly never watched anything by him and felt like I do about this Batman film where everyone second line feels like a character ought to respond with "what?"

rasta-spouse

When I saw Ridley Scott's The Counselor I had a wtf moment with the stilted dialogue. Then I looked at the credits and saw Cormac McCarthy wrote the screenplay.

beanheadmcginty

I took the "big guy" bit as a reference to Alfred actor Michael Caine having a word with that bloke from Coronation Street in Get Carter just before binning him off the multistorey car park.

Blumf

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on November 10, 2019, 12:16:10 PM
...or what the fuck Bane is playing at with that blood transfusion.

So that, when the wreckage is found, the bodies will be identified by blood samples, and it'll seem like Bane and his gang died in the crash. I think it's even explained in the scene (can't be arsed to check)

There's holes in that plan, naturally, but, whatever,

mjwilson

Quote from: Replies From View on November 10, 2019, 12:25:37 PM
I didn't mind that third film at the time; I haven't seen it since it was on at the cinemas but I do remember being unsatisfied by the ending.  Was it setting up a continuation of the franchise?  It felt like it.  There was a load of peculiar open-ended stuff about the character who - GASP! - had the nickname Robin somewhat randomly and then the film kind of stopped.  Yeah the music was telling us the film was wrapping everything up and ending, but the movie as a whole seemed to miss that particular memo.

After watching a trilogy I want to feel like a cycle has ended.  There needs to be a satisfying conclusion of an arc there.  If you're not going to do that, then don't pretend you've set out with a specific trilogy in mind and instead keep going with more films in the series.  I enjoyed the Nolan Batman films and I'd have been perfectly happy with the series continuing from that point, even under different directors and with different directors.

I don't much like Dark Knight Rises but I felt it did at least round off the trilogy pretty well: Bruce gets to retire, Batman 2.0 steps up.

Noodle Lizard

Has anyone mentioned the fact that Talia's long-gestating revenge plot against Batman, who killed her father, involved ... shagging Batman? And not even using that opportunity to merk him. All because she wanted to see some big bomb machine he had access to or something like that so she could destroy Gotham. You'd think a billionaire CEO could figure out another way to enact her dad's plans that didn't involve letting his killer shag her arse.

Mister Six

Quote from: Blumf on November 10, 2019, 05:30:02 PM
So that, when the wreckage is found, the bodies will be identified by blood samples, and it'll seem like Bane and his gang died in the crash. I think it's even explained in the scene (can't be arsed to check)

Tell you what, it must be piss easy to be an insurance investigator in the Nolanverse.

"Well as far as we can tell, the plane's wings fell off somewhere over the mountains, then the plane continued to fly for about 30 miles before falling almost vertically to the ground. Sorted. Who's for a pint?"

Blumf

Almost as laid back as the State and Federal government.

"It looks like somebody is holding one of our largest cities hostage. Should we, you know, do anything?"
"Naaah, have you seen the paperwork you need to do to mobilise the army? I'm sure their police force will sort it out eventually."

Dr Rock

Quote from: mjwilson on November 10, 2019, 06:39:37 PM
I don't much like Dark Knight Rises but I felt it did at least round off the trilogy pretty well: Bruce gets to retire

After about three adventures.

beanheadmcginty

When Batman confronts Bane in the street near the end the dialogue exchange and subsequent punch up is laughably low octane considering how much we've been waiting for it to happen.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Blumf on November 10, 2019, 05:30:02 PM

The transfusion into the corpse is so that it looks like the professor is dead. They don't want search parties while they get him to set up the bomb.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 10, 2019, 06:54:11 PM
Has anyone mentioned the fact that Talia's long-gestating revenge plot against Batman, who killed her father, involved ... shagging Batman? And not even using that opportunity to merk him. All because she wanted to see some big bomb machine he had access to or something like that so she could destroy Gotham. You'd think a billionaire CEO could figure out another way to enact her dad's plans that didn't involve letting his killer shag her arse.

I remember a video from College Humour of all places that sent this up quite well.

It was basically her revealing it was for revenge but Batman going "but you did ass to mouth?"

Replies From View

Quote from: A Hat Like That on November 10, 2019, 03:07:50 PM
I like that the ending was an extended riff on the 1960s film

I reckon they'd never heard of the 1960s Batman film and were actually referencing Wallace and Gromit.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 10, 2019, 08:45:13 PM
After about three adventures.

Exactly.  Batman hardly did anything and then he was popped in a bin, replaced with some dude we'd only just met and will presumably never see again.

It's the kind of plot development you'd include if you wanted to continue a franchise while your main actor was secretly ill and dying.

batwings

I liked the but where all of Gotham's policemen went down into the sewers.

Also:

SteveDave

After watching The Lego Batman film over and over recently it struck me how stupid Christopher Nolan's Batmen are.

Also Zack Galifinakis is the best on screen Joker.

popcorn

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 10, 2019, 09:17:39 PM
I remember a video from College Humour of all places that sent this up quite well.

It was basically her revealing it was for revenge but Batman going "but you did ass to mouth?"

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6849597/batman-cant-stop-thinking-about-sex

phantom_power

Quote from: batwings on November 11, 2019, 08:51:05 AM
I liked the but where all of Gotham's policemen went down into the sewers.

Also:

How does that bloke on the left get knocked over?

popcorn

Jim Bob

Quote from: phantom_power on November 11, 2019, 11:40:55 AM
How does that bloke on the left get knocked over?

He slipped on the ice, which is actually Mr. Freeze's frozen jizz.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

So Batman was set in the Star Wars galaxy all along.

Piggyoioi

Interesting video essay here about the visual mess of a particular scene in TDK i watched many years ago, stuck with me.

https://vimeo.com/28792404

Nolan is a very ambitious but consistently sloppy and pretentious filmmaker, i wonder if he's a little autistic given how flat every one of his character are. That being said I really enjoyed Dunkirk.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on November 10, 2019, 12:32:55 PMCIA Agent: If I pull that off, would you die?

Bane: It would be extremely painful.

CIA Agent: You're a big guy!

Bane: For you.

Look, sorry, everyone always singles this out and there's nothing wrong with it.

CIA Agent: If I pull that (mask) off, would you die?

Bane: It would be extremely painful.

CIA Agent: (Thinks he means the mask's removal) You're a big guy! (You can take it)

Bane: (Actually, I meant I would retaliate violently and it would ultimately be painful) For you.

It really doesn't seem that difficult to understand.

madhair60

Also hang on you thick cunt, he's asking why Bruce is dusting for prints when he clearly already knows who the culprit is.

madhair60

Christ this has made me angry. Fucking fed up with it.

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on November 11, 2019, 02:44:10 PM
Also hang on you thick cunt, he's asking why Bruce is dusting for prints when he clearly already knows who the culprit is.

Does he? And dusting for prints is still an obviously useful thing to do - as demonstrated in the next scene when Bruce is using her prints. It's not just that it's a slightly a weird question, it's the way that it's so transparently only in the script for Bruce to reply with his "I'm not, she was" line, which is supposed to Blow Our Minds.

It Just Doesn't Scan.

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on November 11, 2019, 02:42:45 PM
It really doesn't seem that difficult to understand.

MISSING THE POINT

It is extremely easy to understand, it is just clunky and shite.

popcorn

Have you all seen this brilliant thing kngen found?

Quote from: kngen on October 01, 2019, 02:56:23 PM
There's a bit in Deathwish IV (The Crackdown!) where Chuck Bronson is working undercover as a bartender for some druglord or other. The evil drug king shoots one of his men and orders one of his other flunkies and CB to carry the body out to a car outside. You see the two men carrying the body, but shot from behind. As both CB and the dead guy were wearing white shirts, the dead guy's hanging arms look like they are attached to Bronson's, giving the impression of him having long dangling orangutan arms as he waddles awkwardly out of the door. I was pretty baked when I watched it with my pals, so it caused uproarious fits of laughter to the point we had to stop the film and rewind it about 15 minutes because, being the stoned idiots that we were, we missed so much due to extended bouts of giggling.

EDIT: I found it on YouTube - still makes me laugh. https://youtu.be/kI9ObpC1XoY?t=45

It is obvious what has actually happened in this scene. It's obvious that the bloke's arms have not miraculously grown to extraordinary length. It's just a product of the wardrobe and cinematography. But the effect is unintentionally funny and distracting and a good director would probably have noticed it and fixed it.

That's what "a big guy / for you" is like. It's no good going "but IT'S CLEAR WHAT THIS DIALOGUE IS SAYING" - the point is that the script also creates other unintentional meanings that are weird and distracting. It's not in control of itself. It is a silly film.

madhair60

It's only unclear if you're thicker than no nut november pig cum, which all of you except me obviously are.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It is a silly film, but no one, anywhere, ever has thought there were other meanings to that particular conversation.

"It would be extremely painful... for you." It's so clear that people don't even bother to quote the middle line.

You have lost. Good day, sir!