Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Nolan Batmen

Started by popcorn, November 10, 2019, 12:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 11, 2019, 03:12:13 PM
It is a silly film, but no one, anywhere, ever has thought there were other meanings to that particular conversation.

"It would be extremely painful... for you." It's so clear that people don't even bother to quote the middle line.

You have lost. Good day, sir!

It's a fucking meme opinion. Nobody actually thinks it.

Old Nehamkin

madhair60

Oh in that case I sincerely apologise and withdraw my objection

Chollis

popcorn why don't you scan my balls

popcorn

Christ Cab you lot really are a bunch of bore-os sometimes.

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on November 11, 2019, 02:42:45 PM
Look, sorry, everyone always singles this out and there's nothing wrong with it.

CIA Agent: If I pull that (mask) off, would you die?

Bane: It would be extremely painful.

CIA Agent: (Thinks he means the mask's removal) You're a big guy! (You can take it)

Bane: (Actually, I meant I would retaliate violently and it would ultimately be painful) For you.

It really doesn't seem that difficult to understand.

I genuinely thought he meant that he is only a big guy in comparison to him.

The delivery of the line is crap.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

popcorn

It's a running theme here. A few people point out that something is ambigious, vague, or otherwise open to misreading - even if they understood it. Then a few mensa members bluster about how clear it is, even though the thing could have been adjusted in such a tiny amount that it would have worked for everyone, to no disadvantage. See also that bloody Alan Partridge thread.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I would have to say, The Best of the Batman.

popcorn

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 11, 2019, 03:55:40 PM
I would have to say, The Best of the Batman.

That isn't even the one I was thinking of.

lipsink

Bane also revealing the truth to Gotham about Harvey Dent cos he read it on a piece of paper he found in Gordon's pocket was really shit as well. "Look it must be true! It's on this paper, see!" The Dark Knight Rises was a spectacular disappointment. There's some good stuff in there but it's just such a mess. And it's as if they're actually taking the piss with the amount of WTF moments:

Wayne getting back so quickly to Gotham after escaping the pit. How the fuck did he get back?
Wayne's broken back healing after standing up for one night
Batman asking Gordon where Miranda Tate was after he's just seen her in the previous scene
The nuclear bomb goes off over the water so the citizens of Gotham would die of radiation poisoning
the clean slate dialogue
Batman looking off into the distance as he sacrifices himself while we hear a choirboy voice sing

I always wonder what they could've done to make it better. It just feels like the film is pulling in about 100 different ways. The disaster movie trope of the ticking bomb is also just so damn silly. They should've done away with that. And maybe killed Gordon off half way through the film like the trailers seemed to be hinting at. I remember watching it thinking that Nolan had lost his fucking marbles.

Quote from: popcorn on November 11, 2019, 03:57:41 PM
That isn't even the one I was thinking of.

That's because The Best of the Batman was a Joel Schumacher film, not Nolan. It's just a clever play on words.

popcorn

The Best of the Batman by Joel Schumacher does actually sound quite good I must say.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: madhair60 on November 11, 2019, 03:11:10 PM
It's only unclear if you're thicker than no nut november pig cum, which all of you except me obviously are.

Catwoman: you've overestimated what's thick about what's in your pants

checkoutgirl

Quote from: popcorn on November 10, 2019, 12:00:15 PM
I haven't even finished the film yet.

I'm not going into scene by scene detail but I saw this in the cinema the week it came out and I remember a collective sigh from the audience as if to say "What the fuck was that all about?" Even die hard Batman nerds like fat Kevin Smith have expressed wonderment at certain choices even while praising it to the heavens. Like Batman's voice just seems ludicrous when he's punching Bane and shouting into his face. He didn't know who Cottilard was even after shagging her? He breaks his back and then climbs out of that prison place?

Just absolute shite, and I'm sure there are dozens of examples of Nolan losing the run of himself in this film. I enjoyed the sequence at the start with the aeroplane and stuff but the rest of it? Oooff!! This combined with Interstellar really made me wake up from the Nolan dream. Although having said that I did really enjoy Dunkirk and saw it as somewhat of a return to form. And Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are definitely a cut above your average comic book film.

Rises is probably a cut above too but is marred by poor dialogue, story and acting. The action is decent and Tom Hardy is nearly worth the ticket price on his own. It's weird because superfans like Kevin Smith will critique elements that don't work but they will queue up and pay for at least one ticket guaranteed. And afterwards they'll say they were thoroughly entertained.

Piggyoioi

Remember when cat women just comes up and shoots bane with a fucking gun at the end? lol

checkoutgirl

Quote from: popcorn on November 11, 2019, 03:40:51 PM
A few people point out that something is unambigious, vague, or otherwise open to misreading - even if they understood it. Then a few mensa members bluster about how clear it is

That might be the most succinct and accurate description of this website that I've ever seen.

Replies From View

BANE:  See how big I am?

OTHER MAN:  ....yep.

BANE:  In comparison to you, I meant.

OTHER MAN:  Yes you are substantially more large.

BANE:  Yep.

madhair60

People always think I'm serious and it makes me sad.

Well I am serious. Serious about loving Bane.

popcorn

I assume the pig cum bit isn't serious but the position that the script is problem-free, a far more troubling proposition, is not.

Mister Six

Quote from: Piggyoioi on November 11, 2019, 01:51:22 PM
Interesting video essay here about the visual mess of a particular scene in TDK i watched many years ago, stuck with me.

https://vimeo.com/28792404

Nolan is a very ambitious but consistently sloppy and pretentious filmmaker, i wonder if he's a little autistic given how flat every one of his character are. That being said I really enjoyed Dunkirk.

Great video. I heartily recommend watching the next part, which shows how Salt does s similar scene in a much more competent way.

New folder

CIA: You're a big guy.

BANE: For you ;-)

The only correct interpretation, as far as I'm concerned.

madhair60

I genuinely love DKR. I know it's bobbins but it just really makes me happy. I get really swept up in it. Love this trilogy in general. I'd trade the whole MCU for one of these.

edit: I got so excited when this trailer came out. Still love rewatching it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GokKUqLcvD8

Twed

"Mr. Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to provide an amusing death for you."

Why would somebody find their own death amusing, and why would they reject the enjoyment of amusement if that were actually the case

I simply do not understand, this does not SCAN, there are a lot of problems with this script "The James Bond Movie"

Replies From View

Quote from: Twed on November 11, 2019, 06:09:16 PM
"Mr. Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to provide an amusing death for you."

"Hello, large for you that is, yes.  I am Bond James Bond, and I like to have one off the wrist rather than a stirrer down my urethra."

James Bond is a weird programme.

popcorn

Quote from: Twed on November 11, 2019, 06:09:16 PM

Why would somebody find their own death amusing, and why would they reject the enjoyment of amusement if that were actually the case

I simply do not understand, this does not SCAN, there are a lot of problems with this script "The James Bond Movie"

oh come on.

grassbath

Really very shit films. Even at the prime age for enjoying The Dark Knight With Heath Ledger As The Joker In His Final Epic Performance Before He Went Mad and Died, I saw right through it. Shit, shit, shit.

PlanktonSideburns

We can all agree the first ones hillari-balls though, can't we?

Piggyoioi

WHERZ TH TRIGGA!!!! WHERS TA TRIGGHA!!!!!!