Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:42:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Professional Comedy

Started by confettiinmyhair, November 11, 2019, 06:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
There was an opinion piece article in the Guardian talking about how 'Mock The Week' got worse after Frankie Boyle left the show. For some reason it got me thinking about the panel show format in general and how some comics have made a living phoning it in on these formats. It made me think that there must come a point where you know you're not going to write a legendary stand-up show or star in a sitcom, or crossover into Hollywood. You simply turn up for a panel show recording, do your bit and make some money. I wonder, is this a bad thing? Professional Comic sure beats most 9-5 jobs.

Sin Agog

My only aim in life is to one day land a travel show with a posh and/or bossy member of my family.

thenoise

Better than travelling about playing Jongleurs to stag/hen parties. Although I presume there is quite a lot of overlap.

Yep. Put in the graft at the stag/hen nights until you hit panel-show paydirt.

thenoise

Everyone has to make a living.

dissolute ocelot

If it's a choice between getting easy money for panel shows and voiceovers, or spend years struggling for money begging your 1000 social media followers to support your latest GoFundMe, I know what I'd choose. And there's certainly no more artistic merit in touring the clubs with your hacky observations than ejaculating them all over the higher-numbered channels.

On the other hand there are a few people who have turned panel shows into art, like Frankie Boyle, or the previous version was those artists of the chat show, like Peter Cook.