Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

McDonalds strike - solidarity!

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 12, 2019, 09:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteWorkers from 6 South London McDonald's stores (Balham, Catford, Crayford, Deptford, Downham, Wandsworth Town) are going on strike on Tuesday November 12, in the biggest McStrike to date.

Come and join the Striking workers at this community picket!

The McDonald's workers are calling for a New Deal for McDonald's workers that would include: £15 an hour, an end to youth rates, the choice of guaranteed hours of up to 40 hours a week; notice of shifts 4 weeks in advance, recognition of the Bakers Food and Allied Workers' Union, and to be treated with respect and dignity at work.

https://www.facebook.com/events/550420442426582/

https://twitter.com/FastfoodRights/status/1194051055501352960

Interview with Melissa Evans, one of the striking workers: https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/11/im-joining-the-mcdonalds-strike-to-show-my-son-we-deserve-better-than-poverty-11071395/

Big Mclargehuge

NJ Uncut

New Jack its also in London, where the living expenses are higher.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on November 12, 2019, 10:08:28 AM
New Jack its also in London, where the living expenses are higher.

Suppose it is..

Fifteen squid an hour??

That's shite!

bgmnts

Imagine how many people would be lining up to work at McDos if it was 15 squiddles an hour.

Flouncer

NJ Uncut

Sony Walkman Prophecies

If they manage to get £15 an hour then I may well jack in my bullshit media job and start flipping burgers instead,

Twed

Honestly I think that would be best for everybody. More money for you, less of you writing, and maybe you'll fall into one of the fryers.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: bgmnts on November 12, 2019, 12:09:41 PM
Imagine how many people would be lining up to work at McDos if it was 15 squiddles an hour.

It's still a very stressful job, I know most jobs are but I think working in McDonalds must be very difficult.

Also it's not just higher pay they are calling for

QuoteIn the UK McDonald's workers want:
Wages of £15 an hour
An end to youth rates
The choice of guaranteed hours of up to 40 hours a week
Four weeks notice of shifts
Recognition of the Bakers, Food and Allied Workers' Union (BFAWU)

imitationleather

Quote from: Twed on November 12, 2019, 12:47:16 PM
Honestly I think that would be best for everybody. More money for you, less of you writing, and maybe you'll fall into one of the fryers.

lol

Butchers Blind

I know all their other gripes but £15 an hour?!  Come on, its working in a 'fast food' outlet.

chveik

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 12, 2019, 01:46:06 PM
I know all their other gripes but £15 an hour?!  Come on, its working in a 'fast food' outlet.

so what?

thenoise

Well McDonalds will want to negotiate some of their terms, I should imagine, so they may as well start high.

Also, I'd rather have £10 an hour and guaranteed working hours then £15 ph and a bullshit zero hours contract.

Twed

Quote from: chveik on November 12, 2019, 01:48:52 PM
so what?
Well, fast food workers are not as good as us, you see. It would be abhorrent for them to be compensated for their labour in a way that approaches what I, an important person who works in an office, might make.

madhair60

Fuck I don't even earn £10 an hour. Fuck these McJob chuckle fucks.

Cuellar

Then get a job at mcdonalds you god damned piece a shit

Cuellar

kittens

They should pay me for the privilege of feeding me burgers.
The day a Mac Donald Man earns more than me is the day I burn down The Mac Donald Shop.
Fifteen Pounds an hour to feed me illegal Burgers?
This is an outrage! These Mac Donald Men would do well to return to their pods and gestate until the next cycle. Fifteen Pounds British for an illegal American Burger? Where do they get the cheek. I earn 8.55 an hour and I thank my bosses every day for the opportunity to debase myself for their money. These Mac Donald Men want more money than me? This is an outrage.

Captain Z

I like McDonalds, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

imitationleather

Fair's fair and all that but I think McDonald's staff demanding that they become part of the 1% is a bit much.

Quote from: chveik on November 12, 2019, 01:48:52 PM
so what?

It's a lot of money which could be spent on making robots to cook the food, which is also good for the environment.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 12, 2019, 01:46:06 PM

Yes, a difficult and stressful job where you are always busy, responsible for serving food correctly and safely and having to deal with the public.

I wonder how many people on here could cope with the demands of working at McDonalds, especially having to deal with the late night pub crowd.

Here's another interview with a striking McDonalds worker:

QuoteLondon is one of the most expensive cities in world to live in, yet McDonald's pays barely more than the minimum wage. I get £8.80 an hour, and by the time I've paid rent and bills, I don't have enough to live on. I had to work full time while I was studying at university just to be able to support myself. London rent is astronomical, yet our wages stay the same

...We're also demanding the option of guaranteed hours because it's stressful never knowing each week whether we'll be given just enough hours to survive on or none at all. I know people who have been working at McDonald's for 10 years or longer, yet still don't have any job security. It's not fair – they have given years of service and yet they've nothing to show for it...

We've had to fight every step of the way. Young workers were told they could be arrested for going on strike, or that they'd be given zero hours if they took part in any union activity. But being in a union means we know our rights. We haven't had any negotiations with our employers – they've refused to meet with the union. This is why we're demanding that McDonald's respects and recognises our union. Having recognition would mean that a lot more staff could join the union, and it would make organising a lot easier...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/12/mcdonalds-worker-strike-industrial-action-poverty-hours-respect

Dr Rock

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 12, 2019, 06:31:19 PM
Yes, a difficult and stressful job where you are always busy, responsible for serving food correctly and safely and having to deal with the public.

I wonder how many people on here could cope with the demands of working at McDonalds, especially having to deal with the late night pub crowd.

Not if you're working the fry station or something. I found the job a doddle as everything is so automated and timed for you. Crap wages though. And if you're working at the MacDonalds in Hampstead (might not be there now) there's not much post-pub rowdiness.

Dr Rock

I did my time in Maidstone, not Hampstead. And I never worked the tills because I felt ashamed of my spotty face.

My mate Karl works in one and he's a sound guy. He's my mate because I go to McDonald's to get a McMuffin sometimes and we got talking. I encouraged him to do an OU degree so he's started one. Really pleased for him.

Dr Rock

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 12, 2019, 06:48:38 PM
My mate Karl works in one and he's a sound guy. He's my mate because I go to McDonald's to get a McMuffin sometimes and we got talking. I encouraged him to do an OU degree so he's started one. Really pleased for him.

Another one of your tall tales no doubt!

Twed

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 12, 2019, 06:48:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVOtLnIVnFA