Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:34:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

McDonalds strike - solidarity!

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 12, 2019, 09:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Nope, absolutely true. He said he had to give up uni because he couldn't afford it. I suggested OU because my wife just did one. We bonded over talking about The Walking Dead and techno. Think he's now left Maccies but I haven't been for the months. My kind of people to be honest, reminds me of my mates when I was a kid.

Cuellar

OU is just as pricey as others isn't it?

imitationleather

Quote from: Cuellar on November 12, 2019, 07:41:05 PM

It comes to about £18k for a degree, so it is cheaper. But I don't think you can get a chekky loan for it.

Cuellar

Pijlstaart

In these troubled times, I look back fondly on the #fbpe zenith of Englishness, the 2012 olympic james and how it truly brought us together. Blind gong woman at the beginning, dubstep songs, big rubber voldemort, and what better sponsor than mcdonalds, the largest mcdonalds you ever saw, now in stratford, this mighty pork bastion, not for a privileged few, for the many. I can tell you, those lovely smiling staff, ours rocks, who epitomized who we were, they weren't making £15 an hour, they were on workfare, and on that special workfare day not a thing could go wrong, so it is with a heavy heart that the Lib Dems condemn this strike in the strongest possible terms.

Cloud

15 quid an hour, are they having a giraffe... that'd be a £28k salary for me (37 hour weeks).  Maybe I should quit IT and get a better paid job flipping burgers.

king_tubby

Have you maybe thought of joining a union and agitating for better wages?

imitationleather

Quote from: king_tubby on November 12, 2019, 08:26:07 PM

Nah bellyaching on the internet about burger flippers wanting better pay is a lot easier.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Cuellar on November 12, 2019, 07:41:05 PM

Have to go to fucking Oklahoma though

Twed

Quote from: Cloud on November 12, 2019, 08:22:13 PM
15 quid an hour, are they having a giraffe... that'd be a £28k salary for me (37 hour weeks).  Maybe I should quit IT and get a better paid job flipping burgers.
Maybe you're not better than them.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Twed on November 12, 2019, 12:47:16 PM
Honestly I think that would be best for everybody. More money for you, less of you writing, and maybe you'll fall into one of the fryers.

Have I pushed your buttons? Lighten up you bellend.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Twed on November 12, 2019, 03:48:36 PM
Well, fast food workers are not as good as us, you see. It would be abhorrent for them to be compensated for their labour in a way that approaches what I, an important person who works in an office, might make.

Oh I see. You're 14. Sorry to harsh your mellow 'dude'. Fight the power!

Twed

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 12, 2019, 10:44:10 PM
Have I pushed your buttons?
Sounds like you'd crack under the pressure of a job in the button-pushing field.

Twed

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 12, 2019, 10:45:39 PM
Oh I see. You're 14. Sorry to harsh your mellow 'dude'. Fight the power!
Most 14-year-olds do indeed talk like stereotypes of 1960s hippies from movies.

Chollis

£15 an hour is mental though isn't it

marquis_de_sad

Ideally living costs would be reduced by doing something about house prices and regulating the rental market. Unfortunately that's not going to happen any time soon, and so plugging the hole by raising wages is the only option for a lot of people.

Twed

Quote from: Chollis on November 12, 2019, 10:48:18 PM
£15 an hour is mental though isn't it
I am going to keep shouting at you DUMBEST OF FUCKS until you realise that you have been conditioned to fight against your best interests.

BUH IT WOULD BE GOOD IF PEOPLE WEREN'T LIVING IN POVERTY
"Let's organise to fight for a living wage."
BUH NO NOT FOR THEM, THEY WILL MAKE ME REMEMBER THAT BEING A LOGISTICS MANAGER FOR BURTONS MENSWEAR ISN'T IMPORTANT OR GOOD. I NEED TO BE BETTER THAN THE MCDONALD'S PEOPLE

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Twed on November 12, 2019, 10:47:15 PM
Most 14-year-olds do indeed talk like stereotypes of 1960s hippies from movies.

Era-adjustment applied to reflect emotional maturity of views stated.

Twed

he says, displaying the exact opinions that somebody who was 14 in 1960 would have today

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Do we really have to explain why people in professions (who generally have to invest in college, internships, university, etc) get paid more than those in unskilled roles? Is that the point we're actually at now? Do the maths mate. It's nothing to do with social superiority.

bgmnts

Its a choice though innit? You usually have to be rather privileged to even get that opportunity.

Twed

Quote from: Cloud on November 12, 2019, 08:22:13 PM
How the fuck are you making less than £28K in IT and instead of thinking about demanding a proper wage you are complaining about McDonald's workers demanding theirs? Can you not see how you are fighting for the people who are taking advantage of you? Weak as hell.

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 12, 2019, 11:01:07 PM
Do we really have to explain why people in professions (who generally have to invest in college, internships, university, etc) get paid more than those in unskilled roles? Is that the point we're actually at now? Do the maths mate. It's nothing to do with social superiority.
Read the above. Slow, thick brain. Thick. Brain doesn't work.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Twed on November 12, 2019, 10:54:49 PM
I am going to keep shouting at you DUMBEST OF FUCKS until you realise that you have been conditioned to fight against your best interests.

Instead of assuming that everyone who disagrees with must be thick, have you considered the idea that you yourself might have been conditioned to 'show solidarity with the workers' regardless of the precise nature of the grievence, in more or less complete hostility to any suggestion of nuance or context? Because, you know, that's generally what people who've been conditioned do...

bgmnts

Nah a good living wage should be standard.

Twit 2

RACE TO THE GUTTER, LET'S ALL WALLOW IN FILTH

kittens

it would be absolutely terrible if they got paid 15 pounds an hour. just imagine it. everyone would get jobs at the mac donald shop and there'd be no one doing anything else. all of uk just one big mac donald shop with no one to fix the computer or to come up with a new marketing strategy.

Mister Six

Quote from: king_tubby on November 12, 2019, 08:26:07 PM

Aye, this. Very disappointed in some of the replies here. Proper "crabs in a bucket" responses. I want you all to go to your rooms and think about what you've written.

kittens

if i find out anyone is getting paid more than me i'm going to be furious

imitationleather

Burger King is about a third as good as McDonald's so yeah £5/hour for Burger King workers sounds reasonable.