Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:14:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frasier possibly returning in 2020

Started by Rich Uncle Skeleton, November 12, 2019, 01:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Nicholas Lyndhurst must be an utter bastard to share a dressing room with as Kelsey Grammar is getting out of the theatre game and once again threatening a "reboot" of Frasier.

https://youtu.be/aSXBXw41C8g

Leaving aside the obvious issue of John Mahoney being dead, why does the show need restarting all over again? If it was just a one off episode or two, with the characters back together in Seattle for some reason (Marty's funeral or whatever) I could live with it but a whole new series just seems unnecessary.

I'm happy to be wrong but if this does actually happen I can't see how this could be that good and I'm surprised how keen Grammar is to get this up and running. Just got to hope for decent writers I guess.

BlodwynPig

a show only made possible by the neoliberal fake tan of the times

Bad Ambassador

This has been talked about for quite a while. I don't think it's actually going to happen.

Shaky

Literally everything and it's mother is getting a sequel/remake/reboot these days, so I'd put money on this happening eventually.

dissolute ocelot

They could follow the logic of original Frasier which bore no resemblance to Cheers, and do it like maybe our hero is a psychiatrist in Arkham Asylum ranting against the liberal consensus, and his father isn't actually dead but is now living as a woman and Maris is 18 feet tall and breathes toxic green vapor and played by Hillary Clinton, and it's on a submarine (which is actually a prison like in the film Escape Plan).

Malcy

It's been picking up steam all year now. I think it will happen but don't think it will be a long term thing. Maybe a series of 10 ish episodes.

I'd welcome it. He's said a few times that it will be the next chapter in his life which gives them plenty of ways to go in terms of story.

How successful have Will & Grace, Roseanne/The Connors etc been since returning? I reckon there's always an audience for these nostalgia returns.

olliebean

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on November 12, 2019, 01:10:27 PMLeaving aside the obvious issue of John Mahoney being dead

Not a problem, they can just replace him with an eccentric uncle who keeps boring everyone with stories about what he did "Back in 'nam..."

bgmnts

It would be interesting if Frasier was the crotchety old man having to live with his precious son Frederick, lecturing him on identity politics and online gaming

JamesTC

NJ Uncut

Twed

I find it difficult to watch original Frasier now just because Jane Leeves is such a charisma vacuum that it's distracting.

BritishHobo

The one thing that's keeping my interest about all this is the very fact that Kelsey is so wedded to the idea that this has to be a new chapter. I really really like that he has this view of Frasier that means a new series should be what Frasier was to Cheers, a completely fresh break in a new environment. It gives me faith that he treasures the character and his story too much to just do the continuing adventures of Frasier in his Seattle apartment on the radio. One of the things I love most about Frasier is the weight and time it gave to Frasier's consideration of his life, and whether he was happy in whatever stage of it. A new Frasier shouldn't just be 'lol look at what mad shit he's been up to!', it should be something that a lot of thought has gone into. And I trust him in that as an artist.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 12, 2019, 05:58:35 PM
The one thing that's keeping my interest about all this is the very fact that Kelsey is so wedded to the idea that this has to be a new chapter.

A Good Post, but I'm interested in why he's interested since he hated Frasier at the time and generally spent his time during the show fucking up on drugs to escape it (leading to a Niles replacing him episode at least once).

So he's probably just realised "oh it was actually good" far, far, far too late!

Maybe Frasier has graduated from radio to TV, making this a Larry Sanders-type thing with real celebrity guests. No wait, he could be a Dr Phil agony uncle. But it should have been made at least a decade ago.

Cuellar

I want one of these reboot shows to do it properly, have the character top themselves at the end of it.

Alpha Papa would have been better if Partridge HAD died at the end.

Icehaven

Is the dog that played Eddie still alive?

Edit; No he isn't. I hadn't actually realised Frasier finished as long ago as 2004, he'd have been the oldest dog in the world if he was still alive.

neveragain

He was 'played' by two dogs! The latter being the first dog's son.

True fact: The Eddie dog died during the show's run and he was recast with the original animal's son.

EDIT: DAMN YOU

Icehaven

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 13, 2019, 04:56:13 PM
True fact: The Eddie dog died during the show's run and he was recast with the original animal's son.

EDIT: DAMN YOU

Apparently the original Eddie (a dog called Moose) didn't die, he was just replaced by his son (called Enzo) for some reason. The original Eddie lived until 2006, and Eddie II died in 2010.

JamesTC

Quote from: icehaven on November 13, 2019, 05:07:00 PM
Apparently the original Eddie (a dog called Moose) didn't die, he was just replaced by his son (called Enzo) for some reason. The original Eddie lived until 2006, and Eddie II died in 2010.

Rehab.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 12, 2019, 05:58:35 PM
The one thing that's keeping my interest about all this is the very fact that Kelsey is so wedded to the idea that this has to be a new chapter. I really really like that he has this view of Frasier that means a new series should be what Frasier was to Cheers, a completely fresh break in a new environment. It gives me faith that he treasures the character and his story too much to just do the continuing adventures of Frasier in his Seattle apartment on the radio. One of the things I love most about Frasier is the weight and time it gave to Frasier's consideration of his life, and whether he was happy in whatever stage of it. A new Frasier shouldn't just be 'lol look at what mad shit he's been up to!', it should be something that a lot of thought has gone into. And I trust him in that as an artist.

Yeah there's a silver lining if anything. However determined he is to return to the character (whether or not its because he spent a lot of the original run in a drugged haze as NJ mentioned) I do semi admire that it's not just him summoning everyone back at his indulgence just to crank out more of the same. I'm not really getting my hopes up by any means but I guess it could be worse when you think of it like that.

I'm reminded of a parable that Seinfeld 9/11 script Billy Domineau wrote and wish someone with the chops would do something similar, that'd be fine.

Also, more importantly, having been shot on film but edited on tape, if all this does is lead to finally getting the earlier seasons in HD then it'll be worth it.

neveragain

What's the story behind that Seinfeld script? Gave me multiple chills. Was it actually sent to NBC?

Jim Bob

I look forward to this, should it ever happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that it'll be awful but nostalgia for the happier times in my life is all I have left these days.  Yay! Frasier's back!  I shall delay the final knot in the noose until seeing this inevitably appalling reboot.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 13, 2019, 11:12:34 AM
Maybe Frasier has graduated from radio to TV, making this a Larry Sanders-type thing with real celebrity guests. No wait, he could be a Dr Phil agony uncle. But it should have been made at least a decade ago.
Well he already had a rivalry with Dr Phil (playing himself) on the show already. The good thing is this coming after the return and failure of Murphy Brown so they'll think about this. Frasier as some right-wing talkback/podcast host arguing with his antifa son is too obvious and shit. Also concentrating the premise to where he works misrepresents the throughline of the series which is Frasier finding his place/woman in the world.   

Frasier as a lecturer of some mid-tier college, sort of slumming it in his personal life could work.

marquis_de_sad

Frazer, retired, writing his memoir. He gets injured somehow and has to be looked after by his uncouth son (who maybe wants to be/is a police officer). Hilarity ensues.

Hat FM

is his radio producer still gona be a mad shagger despite  her advancing years?

Urinal Cake

Hat FM

which led to frasier: the prison years.

I'd watch a Frasier/Cheers sequel special. Maybe based around a road trip from Seattle to Boston, with Dr Crane analysing his passenger Sam Malone, whose life of cheap womanising has left him an empty husk. Ted Danson is pretty popular right now, which could help get it made and they could constantly refer to popular moments in old episodes. Along the way they can visit Daphne, Niles, Woody etc. It just needs a title.

Crabwalk