Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:43:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mandalorian

Started by Malcy, November 12, 2019, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

The problem is it is too predictable, you just work out which Western plot they're doing this week and watch it play out as expected. It doesn't help that the title character is still so thinly sketched.

Plus it wasted the floating daleks AND Richard Ayode.

Dex Sawash

Mando and his clown dance crew step up to a crew of krumpbots.

Blumf

Jim Bob

I thoroughly enjoyed episode 6.  Really good episode, I thought.

bgmnts

So is this a Firefly frontiers type thing or a cool lone cowboy kind of thing?

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on December 15, 2019, 07:34:23 PM
So is this a Firefly frontiers type thing or a cool lone cowboy kind of thing?

I was thinking that episode 6 had a very strong Firefly vibe to it.

Pranet

That's weird I was thinking of Firefly when I was watching it.

Still enjoying this.

Jim Bob

I really liked that the devil species is impervious to fire.  Nice touch, that.

Malcy

Just watched 5 and 6. The story is so so at times but the show looks really good. I spent the whole of episode 6 trying to figure out who voiced the droid. Wasn't till the credits that I realised it was Ayoade. Of course it was.

Is there just 2 left?

Jim Bob

Quote from: Malcy on December 15, 2019, 11:20:26 PM
Just watched 5 and 6. The story is so so at times but the show looks really good. I spent the whole of episode 6 trying to figure out who voiced the droid. Wasn't till the credits that I realised it was Ayoade. Of course it was.

I recognised Zero's voice as belonging to Richard Ayoade within 2 lines of dialog.  At first, I found it to be very distracting, but I soon became accustomed to it.

Quote from: Malcy on December 15, 2019, 11:20:26 PMIs there just 2 left?

Yep.  A second season is currently in production though.

SteveDave

Episode 6 was the first one that left me cold.

Dex Sawash

The entire breakout team was bad. The droid was passable, I reckon. Breathy knife lady unbearable nerd wank fantasy. The final outcome reveal for the team on prison ship was ok. Still don't mind the episodic structure.

Artie Fufkin

Episode 6 has been my favourite so far.
Great to see Clancy Brown in it.
And Ayoade - LOLZ. Thought his part in it was a bit wasted, tbf.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 16, 2019, 12:19:26 PM
Breathy knife lady unbearable nerd wank fantasy.

Aw, I really liked her character.  She reminded me of Boc from Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (more Boc goodness here).  I'm guessing since they were left imprisoned at the end of the episode, that we'll be seeing the team again.  I hope so anyway.

Malcy

This week's episode is being released tomorrow to stop it clashing with TROS.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Except that TROS is released tomorrow (well today) in my country.

Malcy

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on December 18, 2019, 12:06:06 AM
Except that TROS is released tomorrow (well today) in my country.

Yeah it's an odd thing to be doing. It's not as if people dont have time to watch both.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Malcy on December 18, 2019, 12:21:49 AM
Yeah it's an odd thing to be doing. It's not as if people dont have time to watch both want to watch the wretched thing.

Fixed that for you.

Ain't I a stinker?

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 16, 2019, 01:25:22 PM
Aw, I really liked her character.  She reminded me of Boc from Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (more Boc goodness here).  I'm guessing since they were left imprisoned at the end of the episode, that we'll be seeing the team again.  I hope so anyway.

It was Tonks from Harry Potter.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Camp Tramp on December 18, 2019, 11:29:44 AM
It was Tonks from Harry Potter.

Mate.  You're a Tonks from Harry Potter if anyone is.

bgmnts

Baby Yoda is the most cynical thing Disney have done.

I fucking love it.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on December 18, 2019, 04:28:36 PM
Baby Yoda is the most cynical thing Disney have done.

I fucking love it.

I don't actually think that Baba Yoda was a cynical move on the the part of the writers, but I do share your love for the baba.  Baba Yoda!

bgmnts

Maybe i'm the one cynical here but baby Yoda is going to be an absolute merch machine.

It's weird this series as I am somewhat familiar with Mandalorians having played some of the games and read the comics yadda yadda but they drop these random bits of lore and information and I have no idea. Plus I have no idea what is canon from the old stuff. Star Wars is weird.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on December 18, 2019, 04:59:07 PM
Maybe i'm the one cynical here but baby Yoda is going to be an absolute merch machine.

Yes, but Disney didn't have any relevant merch prepared for the key Christmas period, because they didn't foresee that Baba Yoda would become so popular with audiences, which in turn would tend to suggest that the character wasn't cynically conceived as a means to sell toys.  The popularity of the character and the inverse lack of merchandise literally made headlines.

Blumf

It's really weird. Surely the production team would see the merch opportunities, how could a production company, famed for it's toy lines, not get something into stores.

Either the show must have been right at the back of management's mind, basically forgotten, or they didn't want to compete with TRoS.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Blumf on December 18, 2019, 05:53:49 PM
It's really weird. Surely the production team would see the merch opportunities, how could a production company, famed for it's toy lines, not get something into stores.

Either the show must have been right at the back of management's mind, basically forgotten, or they didn't want to compete with TRoS.

I suspect that Disney feared a backlash against Baba Yoda; another ewok/Jar Jar type of situation.  They probably thought that any Baba Yoda toys would end up in the discount section of stores, next to the countless unsold Rose Tico dolls.

Blumf

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 18, 2019, 06:39:22 PM
I suspect that Disney feared a backlash against Baba Yoda; another ewok/Jar Jar type of situation.

I can't really see that, what with the Porgs and that new hair-dryer looking droid thing, it's obvious Disney/Lucasfilm are well up for it.

Jim Bob

You see a hair-dryer, I see a megaphone, Disney sees $$$.

bgmnts

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 16, 2019, 12:19:26 PM
The entire breakout team was bad. The droid was passable, I reckon. Breathy knife lady unbearable nerd wank fantasy.

Clancy Brown is fun in anything, breathy twi'lek lady was indeed irritating as fuck. Don't know why they played it like that. Didn't even cop Richard Ayoade until a few minutes in!

Probably the weakest of all 6 so far but i'm only 10 minutes in.

Neomod

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 18, 2019, 06:39:22 PM
They probably thought that any Baba Yoda toys would end up in the discount section of stores, next to the countless unsold Rose Tico dolls.

Yep. Fingers burnt and all that.

Better episode this week but I do think this series is a simplistic star wars for the kids with a bit of ultraviolence thrown in now and then.

What's been the reaction from the fanboys?