Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mandalorian

Started by Malcy, November 12, 2019, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Episode 7 bringing back previous characters already, thought this may have been an adventure of the week style show, although any excuse to look at Gina Carano is fine by me.

Quite decent, feel this has what Star Wars has needed for a long while. Baby Yoda is the best thing ever.

Its a show laden with "hey its that guy/girl" actors; Apollo Creed, Nick Nolte, Taika Waititi, Bill Burr, Richard Ayoade, Werner Herzog.
I wonder when telly will replace cinema.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They didn't have a Baby Yoda ready for the holidays in shops because it would have meant starting mass production a few months ago, then putting the toys on a catalog, with wholesalers receiving copies. It would have resulted in spoilers, and for that reason, they decided not to make anything.

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2019/11/22/20977794/baby-yoda-toys-the-mandalorian-star-wars

rasta-spouse

Baby Yoda isn't just cute, he's hilarious when he's walking around all smol in the back of the shot. Funniest when his head is poking out of that floating sphere he's got.

Lastest episode proper lolz. Carl Weathers: "It's trying to eat me!". It clearly isn't Carl.

Werner Herzog: "I would like to see the baby....we all will be quiet"

Malcy

Were the stormtroopers that shot up the bar wearing armour made from the Beskar or whatever that the Mandalorian has. Dunno how they'll get out of that one. The rest of the Mandalorians to turn up for the fight maybe?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Malcy on December 19, 2019, 01:13:29 PM
The rest of the Mandalorians to turn up for the fight maybe?

From an earlier episode it seems that the other Mandalorians basically live down the street from Werner. So maybe. But one of them did mention they would probably have to move their secret hideout after what happened in that one.

Neomod

The timescale for the montage of the droid re-learning it's shit seemed a bit off. Hasn't Mando only been away for a week or something.

Pranet

Were the stormtroopers that shot up the bar wearing armour made from the Beskar or whatever that the Mandalorian has. Dunno how they'll get out of that one. The rest of the Mandalorians to turn up for the fight maybe?

I'm assuming the IG unit will have something to do with it, now they have gone to the trouble of bringing him back. They did take him on the planet didn't they? Also all that "I hate droids" foreshadowing.

Malcy

Quote from: Pranet on December 19, 2019, 04:38:20 PM
I'm assuming the IG unit will have something to do with it, now they have gone to the trouble of bringing him back. They did take him on the planet didn't they? Also all that "I hate droids" foreshadowing.

He's still in the ship I think. Shame he never helped Quill.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Neomod on December 19, 2019, 03:54:54 PM
The timescale for the montage of the droid re-learning it's shit seemed a bit off. Hasn't Mando only been away for a week or something.

And speaking of timescale.....how can it be Baby Yoda? Or have I missed something. Isn't Mandalorian set 5 years after Return Of The Jedi ?

Apologies if I'm an idiot and this has already been answered......

Alberon

He's only been called Baby Yoda as Yoda's species has never been named, it's not (probably) Yoda.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Alberon on December 20, 2019, 09:26:12 AM
He's only been called Baby Yoda as Yoda's species has never been named, it's not (probably) Yoda.

Ah. Righto. Thanks for that.
I bloody love it, anyway.
I know it's right on the nose, but it's still great.
The last 2 episodes, particularly.

rasta-spouse

Is the Baby Yoda (or The Child) completely CGI?

As it was mentioned that the makers wanted to keep it top secret, so I'm wondering whether the cast are just acting with a little sack with green dots on it, and even they don't know it's a BY (Baby Yoda). Mainly wondering this because Carl Weather's line, "It's trying to eat me!" seemed so weird.

RFT

They looked to me like the "deathtroopers" from Rogue One.

Quote from: rasta-spouse on December 20, 2019, 09:56:59 AM
Is the Baby Yoda (or The Child) completely CGI?

As it was mentioned that the makers wanted to keep it top secret, so I'm wondering whether the cast are just acting with a little sack with green dots on it, and even they don't know it's a BY (Baby Yoda). Mainly wondering this because Carl Weather's line, "It's trying to eat me!" seemed so weird.

It's a puppet, not CGI.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on December 20, 2019, 09:26:12 AM

There is a bit of a theory on who\what the child is. I won't post it incase it's a big spoiler but it's based on the scientist from the first episode and an insignia on his clothing if anyone wants to look it up.

I did take a break from watching this halfway through because I felt it was in danger of turning into the baby Yoda show. More so outside the show than in it though it seems.

Neomod

Quote from: Malcy on December 20, 2019, 11:00:56 AM
I felt it was in danger of turning into the baby Yoda show. More so outside the show than in it though it seems.

"I want a Baby Yoda toy so badly that I'd consider selling a kidney," jokes Star Wars fan and Instagram influencer Jessica Allsop, 26.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50656178

Jim Bob

Quote from: Malcy on December 20, 2019, 11:00:56 AM
There is a bit of a theory on who\what the child is. I won't post it incase it's a big spoiler but it's based on the scientist from the first episode and an insignia on his clothing if anyone wants to look it up.

Oh, of course!  I was already aware of the insignia but I never put two and two together and realised the significance of it.  Now that I think about it, yeah, it's pretty obvious what/who Baba Yoda is.

bgmnts

The idea of a male yoda and a female yoda shagging is quite funny.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"When nine hundred years old you reach, shag as good you will not. Hmm?"

Dex Sawash

Did everyone forget or just don't care anymore?

This one was a bit too long. Would be an ok place to just stop.

Fuck my hat, the Mandalorian is Javier Peña off Narcos (or I am #CANCELLED)

Jim Bob

I stopped watching after episode 6.  It's all a bit samey.  It didn't seem to be going anywhere.  I'll get around to finishing it eventually though, I'm sure.

Alberon

It's okay. Utterly predictable but fine to watch. There's not much else to say about it really.

Apart from Rogue One it is still the best bit of Star Wars since Disney took it over though.

Season 2 will start in the autumn of 2020.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on December 28, 2019, 09:51:59 AM
It's okay. Utterly predictable but fine to watch. There's not much else to say about it really.

Apart from Rogue One it is still the best bit of Star Wars since Disney took it over though.

Season 2 will start in the autumn of 2020.

Agreed. It and Rogue One feel more Star Wars than anything else we've had over the last few years.

Watched it first thing yesterday morning and came in here to leave a comment but couldn't think of anything more than it looked and sounded great so didn't bother.

Although that scene with the 2 stormtroopers on the speeders was a bit strange. Felt like some spoof and seemed like it didn't fit in with the rest of the episode.

The dialogue was a bit American and I didn't know what to make of the stormtroopers can't shoot properly bit.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Malcy on December 28, 2019, 11:01:21 AM
...I didn't know what to make of the stormtroopers can't shoot properly bit.

I haven't seen the episode in question but I'm already groaning at this.

Malcy

Apparently Moff Gideon's weapon he used to get out the Tie Fighter is the Darksaber from the Clone Wars TV series.

Dex Sawash

The dialogue was a bit American and I didn't know what to make of the stormtroopers can't shoot properly bit.

I thought The Child had force-fucked their blasters.

Malcy

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 28, 2019, 12:21:35 PM
I thought The Child had force-fucked their blasters.

Could have been but I thought it was just a comedy scene of how stormtroopers miss 99% of the time.

Neomod

Although that scene with the 2 stormtroopers on the speeders was a bit strange. Felt like some spoof and seemed like it didn't fit in with the rest of the episode.

Adam Paly and Jason Sudakis so I guess they were going for a comedy 'bit'. 

phantom_power

I thought that was the best bit of the series, and possibly the best bit of "new Star Wars". It is just the sort of thing I want to see from the expanded universe stuff. No portentous stuff, no prophecies, no chosen ones, no fate of the world stuff. Just a slice of life of some where in the Empire (or ex-Empire). The dialogue with the person on the other end of the comm link was hilarious as well ("he's just killed his second in command for interrupting him"), putting a hat on how OTT brutal villains are in this sort of thing. I liked the bad shooting practice as well. It didn't make a big thing of it. It was just two grunts passing time waiting for orders

Dropshadow

Re. Baby Yoda - if the evil Emperor-guy could manipulate the Midichlorians or whatever they're called to create Anakin Skywalker then surely someone could do the same to end up with a Force-powerful clone of Yoda. Then suck the power out of him using some sci-fi machine and use it for bad stuff. That's what I think was the plan until the new Boba Fett whisked him away. My real theory, though, is that Baby Yoda is actually a "chrysalis" form who will one day emerge as a Gungan or even Jar-Jar himself. That's what I want to see.

madhair60

Really liked this overall