Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mandalorian

Started by Malcy, November 12, 2019, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Malcy on October 30, 2020, 07:13:13 PM
That was really good. The show looks brilliant.

Spoiler alert
Hard to take Tusken Raiders seriously when they make the same noise as the Concrete Donkey from the Worms games!

Anyone else notice the guy in the bar who looked like Tim Healey?

Dunno what that sphere thing was that they found in the dragon's flesh.

Suppose that means Boba Fett isn't coming back after all.

Guy at the end looked familiar.
[close]
I also thought about
Spoiler alert
Tim Healey
[close]
!
I loved that. Really good episode.

kalowski

Spoiler alert
[close]
My son reckoned he looked like a clone trooper. I need to watch it again.

bgmnts

Decent start.

Called the resolution to the threat obviously. Mostly because its been done before, in the first KOTOR game.

Spoiler alert
Liked the Boba reveal at the end.
[close]

lazarou

QuoteMy son reckoned he looked like a clone trooper. I need to watch it again.

Spoiler alert
The mysterious stranger is almost certainly Boba Fett. The sheriff's armour was heavily implied to be his old kit. He looks like a clone trooper as he himself was a clone of Jango Fett and yep, that's the same actor.
[close]

Yeah, really enjoyed that. I'm glad they kicked things off with a self-contained episode, you really couldn't have asked for a better guest star
Spoiler alert
as the sheriff
[close]
and of course they were fantastic in it. One or two minor gripes but for the most part it was hugely entertaining, taking the usual Mandalorian route of starting with a well-worn story and just executing it really bloody well.
Spoiler alert
The final showdown was absolutely spectacular in places and honestly more exciting than most fussy blockbuster finales I've seen lately.
[close]

kalowski

Quote from: lazarou on October 30, 2020, 09:35:07 PM
Spoiler alert
The mysterious stranger is almost certainly Boba Fett. The sheriff's armour was heavily implied to be his old kit. He looks like a clone trooper as he himself was a clone of Jango Fett and yep, that's the same actor.
[close]
Yes,
Spoiler alert
the armour in the Jawa transporter was definitely Boba Fett's. My son and I both looked at each other and gasped.
[close]

Dex Sawash

Wife felt like pure shit, just wanted to watch Bakeoff reruns.

El Unicornio, mang

Thoroughly enjoyed The Marshal's "mine's bigger than yours" moment

surreal

Quote from: kalowski on October 31, 2020, 09:59:54 AM
Yes,
Spoiler alert
the armour in the Jawa transporter was definitely Boba Fett's. My son and I both looked at each other and gasped.
[close]

Spoiler alert
The guy at the end was him wasn't it?  Temura Morrison, played Jango Fett and presumably makes sense for them to use him as Boba Fett too.  Also the mention that the worm thing had eaten the sarlacc I guess gives a way out.  He'll be after his armour no doubt.  I hate Boba Fett, most overrated character ever... maybe this show will actually give him something cool to do to earn it
[close]

Ant Farm Keyboard

Spoiler alert
The bartender was actually played by W. Earl Brown, who was the bartender in Deadwood, opposite Olyphant.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Temuera Morrison had already overdubbed Jeremy Bulloch's voice on the latest versions of the original trilogy, so it's a given he would also play Boba Fett in the show.
[close]

lazarou

Any other Star Wars thing and I'd be irritated at that level of fan-pandering, but I do feel like this is the one series that could actually make a decent fist of it. Cautiously optimistic on that one.

Malcy

Quote from: lazarou on October 31, 2020, 11:21:37 PM
Any other Star Wars thing and I'd be irritated at that level of fan-pandering, but I do feel like this is the one series that could actually make a decent fist of it. Cautiously optimistic on that one.

I seemed to miss a fair bit of the fan service stuff and still enjoyed it loads so think they have nailed the adding in of stuff for hardcore fans without it making no sense to the non-die hard fans.

Wish there was a Trek version of John Favreau running things over at CBS.

VelourSpirit

Mando s2e1 spoilers
Spoiler alert
Even the Boba Fett armour, which is pretty surface level, accessible pandering, works on a thematic level for the show. "Oh he's wearing armour like the main character's, uh oh he took the helmet off, there's obviously gonna be an ideological struggle here!" You wouldn't need to even know who Boba Fett is. I mean, I don't, really. He's not really a character is he? Just a man in cool armour, and we've got our own man in similar cool armour as the protagonist of this show anyway
[close]

evilcommiedictator

The
Spoiler alert
Krayt Dragon pearl
[close]
is from the novels, in Tales of The Bounty Hunters one of them also
Spoiler alert
kills one
[close]
It's really fucking easy to do fan service to Star Wars fans, and little things like that are exactly it, like seeing the sheriff ride an engine from a podracer, simple stuff

bgmnts

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on November 01, 2020, 11:09:07 AM
The
Spoiler alert
Krayt Dragon pearl
[close]
is from the novels, in Tales of The Bounty Hunters one of them also
Spoiler alert
kills one
[close]

As well as a KOTOR game.

Dex Sawash

I wasn't sure it was
Spoiler alert
Olyphant
[close]
until the credits, he's turning in to
Spoiler alert
BB Thornton
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I have vague memories of being on the fence about the first series (baby Yoda's adorability aside) but I thought this episode was cracking stuff. My only complaint would be that
Spoiler alert
the dragon's death method
[close]
was blindingly obvious. I even chuckled when I first saw
Spoiler alert
the Bantha covered in bombs, because I assumed that was the plan all along and thought it was humourously cold-hearted.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Olyphant
[close]
could probably play that role in his sleep by now, but he didn't phone it in. I almost wish he were the lead.

I didn't quite recognise
Spoiler alert
Temuera Morrison
[close]
at first, but then his popped up in the credits. I'm guessing he'll be a recurring villain this series, possibly dovetailing with the Gus Fring plotline.

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on November 01, 2020, 11:09:07 AM
an engine from a podracer
Not just any podracer. Wasn't it Anakin's?

madhair60

I don't recall the CGI effects being so weak in the first season.

sirhenry

Quote from: madhair60 on November 02, 2020, 11:27:10 PM
I don't recall the CGI effects being so weak in the first season.
Yes, I spent far too much of this episode wondering why their fancy new LED wall looked so bad/obvious. When I wasn't lamenting my ignorance of classic and spaghetti westerns, so not being able to name which Ford/Leone film the long shots were referencing/stolen from.

And isn't there a saying along the lines of 'Never bring a kid to a sandworm fight'?

phantom_power

I thought the CGI was fine. Great even.

You could just tell that was Olyphant from the way he stood in the doorway couldn't you

El Unicornio, mang

I thought the CGI looked great throughout, in fact was amazed at the quality for a TV show, although they did switch from Unreal Engine to their own system for this season so there could be a discernible difference.

famethrowa

I always had a set against Jon Favreau, back when he was acting in movies he seemed to always be playing a douchey asshole, as the Yanks would say. But on the interviews here he seems a decent chap, and his show is well made and good-hearted. So which is he?

I found him more annoying when he wrote, directed and starred in the film Chef, as a creative genius with a slew of beautiful women throwing themselves at him.

Spoiler alert
Suppose that means Boba Fett isn't coming back after all.

[close]
I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Malcy

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 03, 2020, 12:25:16 PM
I found him more annoying when he wrote, directed and starred in the film Chef, as a creative genius with a slew of beautiful women throwing themselves at him.
I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Didn't recognise the actor so no it wasn't.

Neomod

Quote from: phantom_power on November 03, 2020, 10:37:16 AM
I thought the CGI was fine. Great even.

You could just tell that was Olyphant from the way he stood in the doorway couldn't you

I thought it was a Favs nod to Hud via Swingers.

I enjoyed this kick off to the new series. It has a low bar to beat with all the other recent Star Wars properties and I don't think it will ever be great but it was enjoyable enough fluff.

Otherwise Olyphant put Pascal in the shade charisma wise. More Deadwood alumni please.

Art direction is superb as always but having watched one of those virtual set youtube vids I can't unsee it in nearly every scene now. A shame.

Quote from: Neomod on November 03, 2020, 12:45:35 PM
Otherwise Olyphant put Pascal in the shade charisma wise. More Deadwood alumni please.
Space Swedgin! Make it happen, Favreau.

I agree about Olyphant and Pascal (if that was even him onscreen) but it's not an entirely fair comparison. Pascal was charismatic as hell on Game of Thrones. He (or his stunt double) is just saddled with a bit of a flat character here, while Olyphant got to play a more dynamic role. Ironically, people said similar things about Olyphant and Walton Goggins on Justified. Even so, Pascal still makes an effective leading man. I liked the little moment in the opening fight scene, when he gets punched in the head twice, then deliberately headbutts the bloke's fist the third time.

Quote from: Neomod on November 03, 2020, 12:45:35 PM
having watched one of those virtual set youtube vids I can't unsee it in nearly every scene now. A shame.
I was actively looking for it and couldn't tell.

sirhenry

Looks like I'll have to go for a larger file size next week, see if that fixes the CGI problems.

I am regretting exploring the new technology quite so deeply - it definitely changes the way you watch it and makes the suspension of disbelief that much harder.

kalowski

Think I'll have nightmares about those
Spoiler alert
spiders
[close]
for weeks.
Didn't think it was as good this week, but a few nice moments.

bgmnts

Quote from: kalowski on November 06, 2020, 08:56:11 PM
Spoiler alert
spiders
[close]
for weeks.

Unsure if the same but in the KOTOR games creatures quite like them are called
Spoiler alert
kinrath
[close]
. Would be a nice little nod to the EU.

And yeah not as Western-y as the others but a nice little cutesie heart warming episode.

jobotic

Quote from: kalowski on November 06, 2020, 08:56:11 PM
Spoiler alert
spiders
[close]
for weeks.

I don't really watch this, my son does but yeah saw
Spoiler alert
the spider attack
[close]
. Eeuuurrgh

Can't wait for The Mandalorian to catch Escobar.

lazarou

Really loved that one, was even slighter than the last one but some top-notch sci-fantasy nonsense going on. I like that they're not afraid to show flashes of mando's more ruthless streak still, like
Spoiler alert
how fatally hard that poor little fucker hit the ground off the jetpack
[close]
. Was a little worried I was suffering serious baby Yoda fatigue but he was aggressively adorable in that one, the little prick. Yeah not a lot really happened in the grand scheme of things but I had a smile on my face the whole time.