Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:41:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mandalorian

Started by Malcy, November 12, 2019, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Good fun as usual - my only take away is that Richard Ayoade managed to be an even more annoying robot voice than Phoebe Waller-Bridge in Solo

Neomod

So do you reckon there's going to be a payoff with Baby Yoda
Spoiler alert
eating those eggs? The spawn bottle is destroyed and he sicks up some tiny frogs to carry on the line.
[close]
or is he just a selfish little shit.

What's the age range this is aimed at? Cutesy little baby Y with glockenspiels a-go-go and in the next moment horrendous killer spiders.

Mr_Simnock

Loved the last episode especially the bits in the cantina, that place could have a series of it's own, it's filled with enough scum with interesting tales for it. I liked how the alien was just a large hand operated model, I don't need CGI stuff all the time and I found it a nice nod to the original 3 films.

Dex Sawash

Was good. They've used up the Sedaris character, develop or move on.

bgmnts

Yeah apparently it's "comedy". I think they should stick to the baby yoda cuteness and bits of physical comedy though.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: sirhenry on November 03, 2020, 04:48:25 PM
Looks like I'll have to go for a larger file size next week, see if that fixes the CGI problems.

I am regretting exploring the new technology quite so deeply - it definitely changes the way you watch it and makes the suspension of disbelief that much harder.

I've found that too. Finding out about the technology used to make this show
Spoiler alert
(i.e. the circular room with the background projected on the walls realtime)
[close]
has affected my suspension of disbelief on this show more than it has on other shows/films, and I can't put my finger on why. Still enjoying it, though. Just need to stop my brain shouting "Set! Set! It's a set!" while I'm watching it.

It also happened to me when I was shocked to find out on the DVD commentaries that the Linton Travel Tavern in I'm Alan Partridge was not, as I thought, a real location they'd booked to film interior scenes with, but was in fact an enclosed set. Boggled my mind for a bit because they'd had me fooled since the original broadcast.

ZoyzaSorris

When you find out these are actually normal men and women just pretending to be space people you are going to shit brix mate!

Malcy

Thought it was alright. Thought Facehuggers were about to pop out of those eggs! The frog thing was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker who plays Francine in American Dad which made me laugh.

Spoiler alert
I think one of the X-Wing pilots is a previously known character but went over my head. You think they would have helped them rather than just fucking off without knowing how many more spiders were about. Or at least attached a tow rope thing to the big one and help move it off the roof.
[close]

beanheadmcginty

Was one of the X Wing pilots played by Hale out of Hale and Pace? Looked like him.

sirhenry

Bit miffed that the Hattifatteners turned out to be spiders. I was looking forward to Mando's suit going on the fritz from all their static and causing all sorts of comic shenanigans.

But at least it looks better at quadruple the file size. Was tempted to turn on the Georgian subs to get further into the mood but chickened out.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: sirhenry on November 09, 2020, 12:48:44 PM
Bit miffed that the Hattifatteners turned out to be spiders.
Yes! I thought this, too!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The spiders were excellently manky, but the second episode was rather light on story. The language barrier was a nice conceit, but it didn't really go anywhere dramatically. Also,
Spoiler alert
the rescue was a bit of a deus ex wing.
[close]

Quote from: Neomod on November 07, 2020, 09:52:36 AM
So do you reckon there's going to be a payoff with Baby Yoda
Spoiler alert
eating those eggs? The spawn bottle is destroyed and he sicks up some tiny frogs to carry on the line.
[close]
I hope that's the case. It seemed like a bizarre choice to play it for laughs after frog lady explained what the stakes are.

Does the killer robot/translation machine have a name. It should obviously be called IO-RD

I.D. Smith

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on November 08, 2020, 07:47:44 PM
When you find out these are actually normal men and women just pretending to be space people you are going to shit brix mate!

Whaaaaa? I thought this was all just documentary footage following on from us landing on the moon.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 12, 2020, 04:03:09 PMThe language barrier was a nice conceit, but it didn't really go anywhere dramatically.

Actually this bit I didn't understand, although it may have been explained in the show and I missed it:
Spoiler alert
the frog lady used the robot like a hifi speaker to translate her language to Mando's language so he could understand her. Fair enough. But when Mando was talking back to her, she could understand him as she was reacting to what he was saying, even though he wasn't using the robot translator. So could she speak Mando, and it was just him that couldn't understand her, or was that a plot hole?
[close]

I assume she wasn't physically capable of human speech (because she doesn't have a larynx or something) but was perfectly capable of understanding it.

I.D. Smith

Aaaah right, fair enough, that seems a decent explanation. Thanks!

Same deal with Chewbacca, but Man DeLorean didn't understand the language.

bgmnts

I suppose in reality a lot of people are able to understand a language without speaking it.

Has anyone here had a conversation with someone in both your native tongues and both understanding each other fully?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 12, 2020, 04:03:09 PMIt seemed like a bizarre choice to play it for laughs after frog lady explained what the stakes are.

The eggs aren't impregnated yet. They are just giant egg cells.

I haven't seen this week's episode, but I think that there will be some payoff at some point this season, when we'll see the brood that was made possible thanks to the Mandalorian.

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 13, 2020, 11:15:09 AM
The eggs aren't impregnated yet. They are just giant egg cells.
But they're her last eggs. She's gone through the amphibious menopause.

bgmnts

Unsure about today's episode. It went by quite fast but very little seemed to happen, feels like a setup to a bigger episode.

Doesnt seem to be a lot of through line here and more adventure of the week.

Dex Sawash

I think we've settled the issue of "will baby yoda do some magic with the frog eggs"
I like the setup that Mando is some fundamentalist nutjob.
One of the end credits  still arts of baby Y and tadpole is pretty great.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on November 13, 2020, 10:40:20 PM
Unsure about today's episode. It went by quite fast but very little seemed to happen, feels like a setup to a bigger episode.

Doesnt seem to be a lot of through line here and more adventure of the week.

I noticed the episodes are getting shorter. First one 50 mins, last week 40 mins, this week 30 mins. It did seem oddly rushed, like there were big chunks edited out. But, I enjoyed it.

Alberon

The episodes were often pretty short last season. I don't really mind and I don't expect a convoluted story. I do wonder if the appearance of the less-fundamentalist Mandalorians will lead to the bucket being taken off more often.

It's just nice to see a Star Wars story done properly. I'm not saying it always needs to be a space western like this, but it is a real step up from the confused mess of the sequel trilogy.

famethrowa

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 14, 2020, 03:36:09 AM.
One of the end credits still arts of baby Y and tadpole is pretty great.

I really appreciate those credits paintings, a nice throwback to all that hand-painted off-brand Star Wars "art" we got in the 70s and early 80s.

I thought this was a better episode than last week's. Maybe the action scenes weren't quite as thrilling as the space spiders, but the story was better, both as a standalone and a part of the series arc.

Did anyone else think Katey Sackhoff was the singer from Dee Lite?
Spoiler alert
The character could make for an interesting wildcard in the future, depending on how devout our hero is.
[close]

I'm mildly disappointed
Spoiler alert
there wasn't any payoff for the egg eating. Just to be clear, my complaint isn't that Baby Yoda is a baddie now, or that the show is endorsing abortion or something, it's that it was tonally inconsistent writing. Mando realising that the child is becoming increasingly sociopathic as a result of witnessing all the violence would be an interesting development, but I don't expect they'll go there.
[close]

phantom_power

Oh Shit, that was Sackhoff! I thought it was Dallas Howard as she directed it. Hat fucked

Ant Farm Keyboard

Katee Sackhoff actually reprises a character she had previously voiced on The Clone Wars and Rebels. And it looks like there's another major character from these animated shows who is supposed to make her first live action appearance next week.

Neomod

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 14, 2020, 11:19:02 PM
I'm mildly disappointed
Spoiler alert
there wasn't any payoff for the egg eating. Just to be clear, my complaint isn't that Baby Yoda is a baddie now, or that the show is endorsing abortion or something, it's that it was tonally inconsistent writing. Mando realising that the child is becoming increasingly sociopathic as a result of witnessing all the violence would be an interesting development, but I don't expect they'll go there.
[close]

I did think it was a bit off tonally hence wondering if it was a plot point.

An enjoyable enough episode and I thought the cgi was great. It's hard to convey weight and mass and they did it really well with that imperial freighter.

Why does thermal imaging not come as standard in an imperial trooper's helmet? Seems like a damning oversight if you want to control a galaxy with various atmospheres/visibility.

Another Deadwood alumni in the underused Titus Welliver. I do get the impression with all the recent Star Wars that a lot of actors are fulfilling childhood dreams by signing up for ANY part.

phantom_power

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 15, 2020, 10:41:54 AM
Katee Sackhoff actually reprises a character she had previously voiced on The Clone Wars and Rebels. And it looks like there's another major character from these animated shows who is supposed to make her first live action appearance next week.

I was surprised at how excited hearing that name made me

Alberon

Quote from: Neomod on November 15, 2020, 10:48:39 AM
Why does thermal imaging not come as standard in an imperial trooper's helmet? Seems like a damning oversight if you want to control a galaxy with various atmospheres/visibility.

Stormtroopers are just cannon fodder, not worth wasting credits equiping them. I mean, look at their armour - has it protected them from anything, ever?