Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mandalorian

Started by Malcy, November 12, 2019, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

I got a year of Disney+ free from my mobile service. Watched a few minutes.

Brian Posehn!

Small Man Big Horse

Does "Mandalorian" translate as "He who dies easily"? Because Boba Fett bought it pathetically in Return of the Jedi, and this fella would have died in both episodes if it wasn't for the actions of others.

Also: Jawa's seem to be essentially slightly less evil gremlins, but if I were Mandy I'd have killed all of them for fucking him about and making him waste a whole episode on that planet that wasn't Tatooine but sure did look like it.

And: Eh, it's okay I guess, the second episode had some fun enough action sequences, and if the little green bastard starts speaking soon it could become more interesting.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 15, 2019, 09:10:32 PM
Does "Mandalorian" translate as "He who dies easily"? Because Boba Fett bought it pathetically in Return of the Jedi, and this fella would have died in both episodes if it wasn't for the actions of others.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that should this series go to a second season and beyond, that we'll see Boba Fett make an appearance, having made a retcon escape from the sarlacc pit.

Kelvin

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 16, 2019, 05:14:17 AM
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that should this series go to a second season and beyond, that we'll see Boba Fett make an appearance, having made a retcon escape from the sarlacc pit.

I'm not watching the series, but isn't it set after Revenge of The Sith, way before Jedi?

I agree that they'll eventually bring Fett back in something, though.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Kelvin on November 16, 2019, 05:50:21 AM
I'm not watching the series, but isn't it set after Revenge of The Sith, way before Jedi?

It's set after Return of the Jedi, after the fall of the Empire.  Hence the why Imperial credits were no good to the Mandalorian in episode 1.

Alberon

They're making the second season right now, and yes, it has to happen.

The second episode was fun, mainly because of the Jawas, but yeah, they're just chaotic neutral gremlins. Still no budging of the bucket, I can't believe it'll be on all season. The run time of this episode was just 30 minutes. At this rate the whole season will clock in at only a little over four hours. Longer is not always better, but the shortness of these episodes is a little surprising.

This is already Expanded Universe canon. Dengar rescues him from the sarlaac.

Jim Bob

The second episode was incredibly light on dialogue.  It was just half an hour of things happening.  The narrative is very thin and seemingly only serves as an excuse to showcase a bunch of so-so action sequences.  Not sure why I should care really.  I'm not particularly invested in any of the characters.  The protagonist is a stoic bore.

Oh, and the sequence with the Mandalorian scaling the Jawa's sandcrawler played out like a platformer.  Proof.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 16, 2019, 11:09:51 PM
This is already Expanded Universe canon. Dengar rescues him from the sarlaac.

Disney has vetoed the prior expanded universe canon.

Alberon

Some things have been re-entered into the new expanded continuity like Admiral Thrawn. So I wouldn't be surprised if Boba Fett reappeared. Darth Maul survived being cut in half after all.

bgmnts

That actually happens in some extended universe stuff I think. He's that hard.

Edit - fucksake.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 17, 2019, 12:21:39 AM

Oh, and the sequence with the Mandalorian scaling the Jawa's sandcrawler played out like

Worst advent calendar ever

Neomod

Hmm. I like the music, production design and the nod to Ralph McQuarrie in the end titles. Rest of it, meh.

Dex Sawash

I watched Phantom Menace yesterday, The Mandalorian is a lot better.

Dex Sawash

Why in star wars universe are there levitating wagons that need animals to pull them?
Directional propulsion would be a trivial matter once you've mastered lifting a huge burden, right?

Thursday

It's a bit boring this. They should have made it exciting and interesting instead.

Alberon

Quote from: Thursday on November 17, 2019, 02:44:27 PM
It's a bit boring this. They should have made it exciting and interesting instead.

A couple of episodes will be good, but the rest will be a let down. This is Star Wars after all.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 17, 2019, 12:02:20 PM
Why in star wars universe are there levitating wagons that need animals to pull them?
Directional propulsion would be a trivial matter once you've mastered lifting a huge burden, right?

That's a good point.  Heck, in the very same episode, there's a floating crib for little Baba Yoda that has directional propulsion.  It's all part and parcel of this series being so damn on the nose with its Western stand-ins and cliches, even when it comes at the cost of its own internal logic.

Dex Sawash

Thursday

I don't know why Star Wars feels like it has to go to so many fucking desert sand and rock planets all the time. Let your imagination run wild you boring bastards.

Blumf

Quote from: Thursday on November 17, 2019, 06:44:14 PM
I don't know why Star Wars feels like it has to go to so many fucking desert sand and rock planets all the time. Let your imagination run wild you boring bastards.

We've had; desert, forest, frozen, ocean, gas, and city planets. All that's left is suburb.

Looking forward to the finial lightsaber battle on Richmond upon Outer-rim.

Thursday

We've had about 10 desert and 1 or 2 of all the others.

Alberon

This one is more of a muddy desert though. We've not had that before.

idunnosomename

thrawn trilogy and dark empire are still my canon

as far as I give a fuck about this

which I DONT

Jim Bob

Mobius

This show is a bit boring isn't it? Looks nice, but nothing's really happening and the Mandalorian is pretty dull. The show feels like a Ballad of Buster Scroggs sketch or something. The episodes seem short. I guess we'll meet some new characters at some point but at the moment it reminds me of a videogame how his vehicle breaks down then he meets an NPC in the middle of nowhere and has kill a monster for its loot.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Mobius on November 18, 2019, 04:06:10 AM
This show is a bit boring isn't it? Looks nice, but nothing's really happening and the Mandalorian is pretty dull. The show feels like a Ballad of Buster Scroggs sketch or something. The episodes seem short. I guess we'll meet some new characters at some point but at the moment it reminds me of a videogame how his vehicle breaks down then he meets an NPC in the middle of nowhere and has kill a monster for its loot.

Yes!  I thought the exact same thing when watching episode 2.  It reminds me of Fallout: New Vegas or some such.  Which is all very well and good when you've got the controller in your hands and you're in control of the main character.  However, watching this show is like watching someone else, someone who is a controller hog, playing an RPG and going on various fetch quests.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quest log updated: 'go to point A and retrieve gubbin'.

[FIGHTS BOSS AND RETRIEVES EGG]

[2000XP]

Quest log updated: 'Gubbin retrieved. Return to character X and deliver gubbin'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't exactly make for riveting and compelling viewing.

Alberon

The first episode was 38 minutes long and the second was just 30. Strip one set of opening and closing credits and you end up with something just over an hour long.

I got the video game vibe as well. He's upgraded the first part of his armour and at the end of the second episode it felt like he was leaving the introductory area and starting the game proper.

But I suppose the real problem is the main character is still such a blank slate. We know nothing about his personality or motivation. The bounty hunter droid showed more characterisation in five minutes than bucket head in an a whole hour.

The show looks but it really needs to address this in the next episode.

momatt

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 15, 2019, 09:10:32 PM
Also: Jawa's seem to be essentially slightly less evil gremlins, but if I were Mandy I'd have killed all of them for fucking him about and making him waste a whole episode on that planet that wasn't Tatooine but sure did look like it.

Yes!  I'd like to have seen him just slaughter the whole fucking lot of those thieving bastards.
But at least we did get to see him vapourise a fair few of them.

Is there an 'official' status on Boba Fett now?  I think one of the problems with the new universe is that you've got to read about 500 books and comics to fully understand what's going on.

SteveDave

I enjoyed it and applaud the short running time.

Goldentony

Liked this and liked the walking bin thing coming back and really hope for no particular reason Lak Sivrak is in it