Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,309
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mandalorian

Started by Malcy, November 12, 2019, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

"¡Dank Farrik!" Esta expresión se ha convertido en una de las interjecciones de moda esta temporada. Y lo es gracias, precisamente, a la nueva temporada de The Mandalorian. Todos los fans de las aventuras de Mando y Baby Yoda han oído ya esta expresión en varias ocasiones pero... ¿qué significa?

Cleared that right up

bakabaka

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 22, 2020, 01:04:07 PM
"¡Dank Farrik!" Esta expresión se ha convertido en una de las interjecciones de moda esta temporada. Y lo es gracias, precisamente, a la nueva temporada de The Mandalorian. Todos los fans de las aventuras de Mando y Baby Yoda han oído ya esta expresión en varias ocasiones pero... ¿qué significa?

Cleared that right up
Dang nabbit!, translating the original question into Spanish is not an answer.

Head Gardener

Pranet

I thought this thread was getting far too positive for this forum then I read the last page where you all went grumpy gus again.

I am loving this though, loved the big action sequence in s2e4.   

bgmnts

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Blumf

I've already seen some Jeans Guy cosplayers about, and you don't normally see cosplayers around here!

Dex Sawash

Jeans Guy disproves clone emperor plotline

bgmnts

Holy shit!! Baby Yoda has a name!

And good god the star Wars canon now its weird.

Norton Canes

S01E06 the prison break one, now that's more like it, yes. Loved that Ayoade played it straight down the line as Ayoade. When does he ever not just play it straight as Ayoade? Anthony Daniels would have been proud. Also loved the apathetic X-wing pilots at the end. "Looks like we got to blast it" "Yeah blast it" "Mate yeah". But best of all, Natalia Tena, sigh.

beanheadmcginty

Rosario Dawson looked like a cross between Sega Nights and the big lad from Farscape.

Alberon

I've never been into the
Spoiler alert
cartoons so seeing a a live action Ashoka was no big thing to me, but I did really enjoy hearing Grand Admiral Thrawn's name. I read some of the earlier spin-off novels now relegated to 'Legends', but the character has been reintroduced into the new continuity.
[close]

El Unicornio, mang

Nice to see Michael Biehn of Aliens and Terminator fame appearing in the latest one, didn't recognise him at first. Solid episode overall.

lazarou

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 28, 2020, 03:38:46 AM
Nice to see Michael Biehn of Aliens and Terminator fame appearing in the latest one, didn't recognise him at first. Solid episode overall.

Given the show's fondness for western styling Biehn is a bit of a twofer in that as well as being your legendary sci-fi bloke he was also Johnny Ringo in Tombstone.

I seem to just pop on here every week to say how much I enjoyed it and this was no exception, in fact it was probably my favourite of the season so far. Really liked the feel of this whole episode, that dirt-blasted backwater fortress and all the associated trimmings. Even the guards looked fantastic.

Feels like the show handles the lore stuff well. We're getting to the point where characters with expansive backstories are turning up and as much as there's all that potential business to dive into you can just get along fine without it.
Spoiler alert
I know Ahsoka Tano is a major character in the animated series but the episode did a fine job of showing what she's capable of. All I really know about her was she trained under Anakin and that felt like enough in the context of the show.
[close]

Neomod

Nice planet art direction. Straight out of a Ralph McQuarrie sketchbook.

Getting a bit bored of baby groot Grogu. Can't we just skip to the teenage years where he's a hoverboarding wise ass voiced by J. B. Smoove.

sirhenry

My focus on the backgrounds seems to be continuing; I'm curious if they used a real, Californian post-wildfire landscape for the 'forest' scenes or if that would have been too sooty and dirty to allow expensive equipment in. But overall, a very good looking episode and, with a lot more focus on the audio this week, a good sounding one, too.

And yes, Baby Yoda isn't as cute and loveable this season, which made Ahsoka's warning that he may be too tainted to be a Jedi more plausible. Though it would be a very, very brave move to have him end up as a Sith. I can hope, can't I?

Malcy

I liked the episode but I imagine it was more exciting for people that have seen the animated series. Hoping it isn't going to end up with Jedi vs Sith stuff being the main focus though. One of the big appeals of the series for me is that it was enjoyable Star Wars with recognisable elements without being about the usual Jedi stuff.

Supahsoka! Babygro!

Oh, Mando. You came and you shot up the baddies, but I sent you away.

Another good fun episode, but the series is starting to feel a bit shallow, even for me. Ahsoka's intro scene felt very unJedi and there seems to be unmined dramatic potential in the pairing of a lapsed Jedi and a zealous Mandalorian. Can be entrust Grogu to an oathbreaker? And what of the other hanging plot threads? Ahsoka would surely be of interest to Moff Fring and his super troopers. No further appearance from Robert A. Fett either. Maybe it's all going to dovetail at the end.

Nice to see Michael Biehn turn up. I didn't like
Spoiler alert
him going out like a sneaky weasel man though. I reckon it would have been good if he'd got the drop on Mando but then just walked away when his boss lost the fight.
[close]
Then again, is there even any point in anyone drawing a gun against our hero, in his apparently impenetrable armour?

Alberon

If Ahshoka doesn't show up again this season then it might be they were setting her up for her own show. You don't
Spoiler alert
drop Thrawn's name
[close]
and then do nothing about it.

VelourSpirit

Season 2 episode 5 spoilers
Spoiler alert
The atmosphere in this episode was great. That swampy green hue of the planet, the sparse soundtrack, very placid. Really lent some magic to the scenes with Ahsoka and Grogu. Grogu! Lovely name. Season 2 feels higher budget than the first, looks so cinematic. Now we're getting a new amazing looking planet every week. So many great ones, all feeling way more enticing than in eps 7-9. Especially loved the harbour with the jumper-wearing Mon Calamari. Would love to explore them in a game.
[close]

The show looks a million bucks. Some folk have complained about the big screen backgrounds, but I honestly can't tell when they're in use and they do away with that disconnected green screen look that affects so much genre telly and even films. I do still find the flat colour grading a bit bothersome though. I suppose I could tinker with my telly's settings and correct it, but it seems a shame for such high production values to be filtered through this off-the-shelf DSLR kind of look.

At the end there Grogu
Spoiler alert
was using mind powers to ask Ahsoka to leave him with Mando
[close]
, right?

sirhenry

Quote from: TwinPeaks on November 28, 2020, 05:26:12 PM
Would love to explore them in a game.
As all these backgrounds are already generated, so transferring them to a quest-based FPS game does seem a no-brainer. A modern version of KOTOR? Can't wait!

Not all that happy with the name; Grogu is the name of a kaiju; I'm sure Godzilla fought Grogu in the tv show.

I didn't know Ahsoka before today, but hopefully she's a one-off bit of fanservice rather than an ongoing character whose backstory matters. In this all we needed to know was quickly spelled out - she's a jedi who knows about Yoda and his species. But if she keeps popping up they won't resist peppering her dialog with things that only mean something to fans.
Quote from: Alberon on November 28, 2020, 04:49:30 PM
You don't
Spoiler alert
drop Thrawn's name
[close]
and then do nothing about it.
Like that.
If that's the way it's going, they can fuck off. The joy of this show is that it's a standalone space cowboy show, even if it is built on an already established universe.

Norton Canes

S)!E)& oops kept shift down S01E08 - at last, a cliffhanger! I mean a proper cliffhanger, not just the episode ending with some bounty hunter checking his directions. It's surprised me that the other other instalments so far have all been pretty much self-contained, it didn't really help ramp up the suspense. How many episodes are there in S)! anyway? Oh, the next one's the last. AH well never mind, straight on to season 2! Plus - damn, I love me a TIE fighter. And I never seen one land afore!

P.S. thanks for all the season 2 spoiler tags x

Spoiler alert
You're welcome.
[close]

Norton Canes

Spoiler alert
Made you look!
[close]

Mr_Simnock

Pranet

It has to be a homage on some level of some Japanese film or story I have not seen? Because I know nothing, it mainly reminded me of Tenchu: Stealth Assassins.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 28, 2020, 09:43:00 PMI love me a TIE fighter. And I never seen one land afore!

But, fantastic movie spaceship designs as they are, they do look like they should only ever be in space, and not flying around through planetary atmospheres. They look too graceful and fragile to have air tearing at them. Bit like the USS Enterprise in that respect - it looked totally wrong in whichever movie it was where it was hiding underwater. Space only please.