Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mandalorian

Started by Malcy, November 12, 2019, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Willing to risk ridicule and say I like this so far and am counting days until next one. Somewhat invested in the fate of the first bounty who I'm calling Jimmy McGills because I am tedious and unimaginative. I like the idea that the Mandalorian may be a bit of a tyro instead of a speedrunning master.

VelourSpirit

I adore the baby Yoda. Genuinely one of the sweetest little creatures I've ever seen in film.

Jim Bob

Quote from: TwinPeaks on November 21, 2019, 02:10:34 PM
I adore the baby Yoda.

I bet you fucking do, you dirty old bollocks.

Blumf

Need to see Babby Yoda eat a Porg.

Dex Sawash

More of a mixed bag, ep 3
A couple cringey things.

Piggyoioi

i feel like i've watched the same episode 3 times now.

Neomod

It's a shame that this is really slow and boring.

Thursday

The MandaBOREian more like.

rasta-spouse

This is a kids' show right?

Also I didn't appreciate him slaughtering that space rhino and letting the snarfs destroy it's egg. Didn't look good.

Dex Sawash

I really want a creme egg now though

Alberon

There is a big vacuum where the central character's personality should be. So far all we know is his probable parents got blown up when he was a kid and he eventually decided he wasn't okay with Imperials butchering a kid.

To go back to the video game analogy he's the standard player character. No real personality of his own so the user can play how they want to.

Thursday

Quote from: Alberon on November 23, 2019, 06:32:53 PM
There is a big vacuum where the central character's personality should be. So far all we know is his probable parents got blown up when he was a kid and he eventually decided he wasn't okay with Imperials butchering a kid.

To go back to the video game analogy he's the standard player character. No real personality of his own so the user can play how they want to.

Said the same thing to someone on twitter earlier. So far the only really notable things about the show are.

1) Haha look Werner Herzog is in a Star Wars thing.
2 Cute Yoda Baby

I'm just not into the premise of "morally grey character, makes choice to do good thing" People seem really into it though saying "ahh but it's doing a cliched story with it's own style" and I'm not really seeing how.

The point we're at now is exactly where you knew it was going to go as soon as you saw the baby in episode 1. You could have skipped episode 2 and gone straight to this one.

Jim Bob

Quote from: rasta-spouse on November 23, 2019, 05:47:28 PM
This is a kids' show right?

Also I didn't appreciate him slaughtering that space rhino and letting the snarfs destroy it's egg. Didn't look good.

I thought the same thing.  Mando cares so much about children that he's willing to kill a fellow bounty hunter in order to save a child's life but he's a-okay with killing a mother and feeding her unborn child to some hooded creeps?  Consistency of character, writers, consistency of character.

rasta-spouse

I'm not even a nature kid but the space rhino thing just seemed not okay. Also, in ep1 when Manda and the robot bounty hunter raid the dusty town they're essentially red-blooded cowboys slaughtering a bunch of foreign-y mumbling aliens (ok I may be reading into that one as a US imperialism thing, but it rubbed me the wrong way) . The writing has a very backwards feel and I'm transported to 90s ITV Saturday/Sunday afternoon US imports. Is it deliberate?

I suppose if you asked Favreau he'd probably start talking about the same Saturday morning serials that influenced Spielberg on Raiders of the Lost Ark. But it's not like he couldn't tweak it for 2019. Must be a bonehead then. Remember that Dinner For Five where he was blatantly drooling over Mary Steenburgen? What a red-blooded bonehead.

Also hard to care about anyone wearing a mask who never takes it off. Need to see the face.

Thursday

I'm sure he will eventually.

I'm trying to work out why do it this way though... it's obviously going to be a barrier, you have a main character who can't emote facially, and you also write him to be a very stoic character. So he's just not very interesting all round. I guess for some people a "dark" story in the Star Wars universe is enough because it's got cool Star Wars stuff in it.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on November 23, 2019, 08:30:23 PM
I'm trying to work out why do it this way though... it's obviously going to be a barrier, you have a main character who can't emote facially, and you also write him to be a very stoic character. So he's just not very interesting all round.

Because they wanted to make a show about iconic character Boba Fett, but nicer? And that means trying to extend a shallow, stoic, masked character over multiple episodes, rather than a few short scenes.

I haven't seen the show, but that seems like the obvious answer.

Thursday

I suppose.

Boba Fett never stood out as memorable to me, I realise I'm very at odds with Star Wars fans here though.

Jim Bob

This series intends to emulate a western. Hot take there, I know!  You can't just take the template of every western cliché ever and recreate that within a sci-fi environment and expect it to work.  Star Wars has always drawn upon various genres for inspiration, but never has it been so on the nose and so boring.

Yawn.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 21, 2019, 12:27:13 PM
Willing to risk ridicule and say I like this so far and am counting days until next one.

Please, man, never apologise for enjoying something.  It's great that you're enjoying it.  I wish that I could too.  Anyone who would mock you for liking what you like isn't worth thinking about.

Jim Bob

Star Bores: The Snoozealorian.

momatt

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 21, 2019, 12:27:13 PM
Willing to risk ridicule and say I like this so far and am counting days until next one.

Me too, I love it!  I think it;s got a nice balance of re-hashing old scenarios and characters, with a little bit of new stuff in there too.
Anyone else spot the Darth Maul type alien in the bar?

I was sad when the space-rhino died though.  He should have slaughtered all those Jawa wankers instead.

Overall it's a bit cliched, but I'm really enjoying it.  It's fun.
Plus the new one had a fuck-load of Mandalorians flying about with jetpacks and big guns.  Exactly what 10-year old me would have done anything to see.

SteveDave

I rewatched the first two with my small Star Wars obsessed son this weekend. He kept asking where Luke was and then gasped "Lando!" when Carl Weathers appeared. The stupid racist.

momatt

Quote from: SteveDave on November 25, 2019, 09:02:53 AM
I rewatched the first two with my small Star Wars obsessed son this weekend. He kept asking where Luke was and then gasped "Lando!" when Carl Weathers appeared. The stupid racist.

He's 28 years old?

SteveDave

Quote from: momatt on November 25, 2019, 09:09:44 AM
He's 28 years old?

dehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Blumf

Quote from: SteveDave on November 25, 2019, 09:02:53 AM

I hope you set up a Twitter account for him and got him properly #CANCELLED!

bgmnts

QuoteTaika Waititi as the voice of IG-11, a naive bounty hunting droid, who processes conversations in a precise and literal manner

Reminds a little of HK47 from the yet to be topped in any Star Wars canon KOTOR.

I am kind of intrigued by this, shall give it a look when it becomes available. I suppose this Mandalorian will appear in the next Star Wars film and that Star Wars will go full Marvel extended universe bollocks within a year.

bgmnts

Quote from: momatt on November 25, 2019, 07:53:11 AM
Anyone else spot the Darth Maul type alien in the bar?

It's a Zabrak gawwwd

Blumf

Has it been confirmed if we'll get to see/hear a jizz-box in the show?

bgmnts

Does anyone want a Greedo show as much as me?

SteveDave

Quote from: bgmnts on November 26, 2019, 01:41:03 PM
Does anyone want a Greedo show as much as me?

If I want to read on my telly for 30 minutes I'll look at Ceefax.

bgmnts

Aw man you're missing out:

City of God
Hard Boiled
Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
Amelie
Spirited Away
The Battle of Algiers.

Oof