Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:08:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mandalorian

Started by Malcy, November 12, 2019, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Quote from: Thursday on November 23, 2019, 07:18:44 PM
Haha look Werner Herzog is in a Star Wars thing.

He has a short interview on this week's Star Wars show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNw6ASa3VE

"Has Werner Herzog even seen Star Wars?"
"No I have not, but it doesn't matter.  I know that there's a new mythology emerging, a whole universe has been created in fantasy.  So this is very big."

He should have said - 'They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house! I'm not made of stone!'.

SteveDave

Quote from: bgmnts on November 26, 2019, 02:09:16 PM
Aw man you're missing out:

City of God
Hard Boiled
Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
Amelie
Spirited Away
The Battle of Algiers.

Oof

At least one of those is an "anime" so I can't speak to you anymore. Cartoons for perverts to jack off to. All of them.

Greedo would be an awful character to follow. His race are losers. One of them got blown up (I think) in "Rogue One", one is frozen in carbonite in the first episode of "The Mandalorian" and the main one got shot first.

Jim Bob

Quote from: SteveDave on November 27, 2019, 10:11:21 AM
At least one of those is an "anime" so I can't speak to you anymore. Cartoons for perverts to jack off to. All of them.

Spirited Away is a fantastic film, you tit.  That it's also thoroughly enjoyable to jerk off to is neither here nor there.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: bgmnts on November 26, 2019, 02:09:16 PM
Aw man you're missing out:

City of God
Hard Boiled
Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
Amelie
Spirited Away
The Battle of Algiers.

Oof

Didnt realize greedo was in Battle of Algiers

Swoz_MK

Quote from: bgmnts on November 26, 2019, 01:41:03 PM
Does anyone want a Greedo show as much as me?

My favourite SW character. All Rodians really, best faces (well, until THE CHILD came along).
Maybe a Man Bites Dog style Greedo film is what we need. That or Irreversible with his head Deepfaked on La Tenia

Dex Sawash

Looks like Mando probably goes full sjw in this one (from reading episode blurb)

Neomod

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 29, 2019, 12:01:05 PM
Looks like Mando probably goes full sjw in this one (from reading episode blurb)

It's basically another 'western' trope.

momatt

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 29, 2019, 12:01:05 PM

If SJW is code for 'someone that cunts disagree with', I'm fine with that.
[not aimed at you Dex - you're not a cunt]

Thursday

Not killing a baby is a total SJW move. Can't believe Mando is a cuck!

Sherman Krank

"Sales of Mandalorian brand underwear are down in Mexico."

"Maybe we can have Baby Yoda's pants fall down on planet Tijuana."

Dex Sawash

Shane innit.

Unexplained at-st with switch set to 'bad'

Malcy

I don't get all this tracker stuff. He knew they were being tracked last episode but in this reckons he can just find a place to stay thinking no one will find them.

Then gets tracked and seems a bit surprised. Directed by Bryce Dallas Howard which I wasn't expecting.

Dex Sawash

I can see myself not powering through a binge watch if all eps dropped at once. Don't mind that each episode represents about 6 comic book pages but it only works at 1/week pace I reckon. Carano wasn't great, liked her a lot in Haywire. Didn't know she was a fighter crossing over when I saw that and I my by more cynical toward her now.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Malcy on November 30, 2019, 12:20:12 PM
I don't get all this tracker stuff. He knew they were being tracked last episode but in this reckons he can just find a place to stay thinking no one will find them.

I don't understand how the tracker functions.  What is it honing in on?  Aside from the bounty themselves.  I mean, there has to be a chip or something inside the person, right?  How do these chips get inserted in the first place?  If the person who wants a given bounty captured has the means to surgically insert a chip, then they already have access to that person and therefore there would be no need to hire a bounty hunter to track them down, surely?  Also, why don't the people being tracked have whatever the tracker is honing in on removed?

Piggyoioi

trying to find internal logic in the SW universe is like trying to draw rationale in a schizophrenic.

Alberon

The weakest of the four episodes. This season is eight episodes long so after this filler episode I presume we're back to the central mystery of why Baby Yoda is being hunted.

The series is looking increasingly like style over substance. Seeing western tropes playing out in a Star Wars setting doesn't have that long a shelf life, this one was a version of the Magnificent Seven which was itself a remake of the Kurosawa classic. This isn't the first time since then that the Seven Samurai has been remade. Hell, it isn't even the first time it's been remade in space.

The lead character (I refuse point blank to call him 'Mando') has more dialogue here than in the first three episodes. We still know virtually nothing about him, and it's getting increasingly hard to care.

Pranet

I think if he takes the helmet off he will look like Michael Fassbender at the end of Frank.

I'm enjoying it. It may not amount to much in the end, but moment by moment, episode by episode I find it entertaining. But then I liked Solo so perhaps I just have bad taste in Star Wars.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Now, that was unexpected casting...

Neomod

Dex Sawash

Piggyoioi

those were speedy things from return of the jedi right? wow. awesome.

these episodes need to be twice the length for me to give a shit, they seem like indulgent adverts.

Mobius

Just a big budget Xena/Hercules. Dead boring, uninspired.

SteveDave

I've been highly enjoying these. Episode 4 felt like it could've been stretched over two episodes though. He tries to help the village by himself and gets battered. Then he trains the villagers and the lady bounty hunter saves them. Or sutin.

Does the panel think that it was Boba Fett at the end of episode 5? Out of the Sarlacc pit somehow?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

We've been catching up on this over the last few days. I'm finding it pleasant enough generally - baby Yoda is every bit as adorable as I'd heard and the sight of Werner Herzog in something like this is wonderfully bizarre. For all it's high budget though, I can't shake the feeling of it being like one of those fan fiction things. I cant place my finger on why exactly, other than the cinematography having that overly sterile video look to it.

Alberon

Turns out that when you thought you were watching Pedro Pascal a lot of the time you were actually watching John Wayne's grandson.

QuoteAsk Bryce Dallas Howard about working with Pedro Pascal on the set of The Mandalorian and she can't say much. Because it didn't happen.

"He was in rehearsals for King Lear on Broadway. And so, while we were doing my episode, I wasn't working with Pedro," she told Vulture about the making of "Sanctuary," her TV directing debut.

Instead, beneath the Mandalorian armor during production were stunt doubles and stand-ins. The episode credits list two men — Brendan Wayne and Lateef Crowder — as "Double - The Mandalorian." Howard says she predominantly worked with Wayne. "He absolutely just brought everything to that character, and we were able to find the moments and figure them out together," she said.

Wayne told Vulture that he worked on every episode of The Mandalorian's first season and, as of last week, was also going to work on season two. Brought in under a shroud of mystery, Wayne said that he saw Pascal on set "frequently," and the two of them worked together to develop the character's onscreen movements.

"[Pascal] would ask me, and I would ask him the same question, which is, 'Why did you move like this during that moment?' We would go back and forth," Wayne said. "The great thing about him is he's not impressed with himself. He's just an actor. And I mean that in the good way, not the bad way. He likes to learn and he likes to collaborate and he's very good at it."

Howard compared the situation to her experience playing theme-park exec turned dino advocate Claire Dearing in the stunt-heavy Jurassic World films. "When I play Claire, there's the Claire who's a great driver, and then there's the Claire who's a really great runner, and then there's the Claire who can, you know, get dropped off something."

You do, however, see Howard's face onscreen during those Jurassic films. Meanwhile, in The Mandalorian, Howard noted that the voice performance is 100 percent Pascal, recorded after the fact. The character we see onscreen, from her perspective, is "a real collaboration."

"Everyone is really figuring out together, Who is this character? What are these moments? What's the movement like? What's the energy like and the rhythm like? So that there was that consistency," she explained.

The end result: a character so mysterious, you can't even be sure who's playing him.

I'm not that surprised Pascal isn't playing a guy with a bucket permanently on his head all of the time, but it does sound that at least some of the time his involvement is as little as voiceover work.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/the-mandalorian-pedro-pascal-double-stunt-performer.html

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Next you'll be telling me it wasn't James Earl Jones in the Vader costume.

Blumf

Remember when The Green Cross Code man came to school, and some kids said he played Vader. Did he fuck! Sounded nothing like him!

Neomod

Ugh. Moss in Space.

Slightly more interesting than usual though.