Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 29910 times)

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
Re: The Mandalorian
« Reply #270 on: November 15, 2020, 09:07:18 PM »
Just started watching the the other day, and now binged through to the most recent episode. I really like it, enjoyed every episode. I like it more than anything Disney have done with SW, and I prefer it to the prequels too, so I suppose I rate it as the best SW since Return Of The Jedi (never watched any of the animated stuff though).

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #271 on: November 15, 2020, 09:42:06 PM »
(never watched any of the animated stuff though).

Clone wars is mostly shit for cunts kids and not very entertaining but you can just let it play while you read CaB or whatever. Don't like the way they portray female characters,  all tits out and short skirts.

Rebels is grittier and better. Darth Maul is actually an interesting  character.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• Muscular and compact, like corned beef
« Reply #272 on: November 15, 2020, 11:05:33 PM »
Pah! That stuff is for noobs. This is the real shit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6BymAx38xg

« Reply #273 on: November 15, 2020, 11:16:16 PM »
Nah this is the real anime shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Norton Canes

• In today's room, with today's view
« Reply #274 on: November 16, 2020, 10:53:11 AM »
Finally caved and watched s01e01. Loved it.

Some context:

I love Star Wars. By which I mean, I love 'Star Wars', the first movie (no, I'm not calling it 'A New Hope'). Bits of The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi are bearable. But the prequels and the unending stream of turgid guff they pump out in cinemas these days can fuck right off. So thankfully this introductory episode was free of any heavy-handed continuity references (no scrolling text at the start, oh bliss). I mean I have no idea what a Mandalorian even is but it looks like that probably won't matter. I suppose knowing that a Yoda can do mind tricks and lift spaceships out of swamps helps.

Anyway. First thing I realised after a few minutes in (OK second thing, after 'Right, it's cod-Western') is that it's 75% Strontium Dog and 25% Judge Dredd, which makes for a pretty satisfying mix. In fact John Wagner wrote some Boba Fett comics, didn't he. Maybe the production team were consciously trying to capture the style of those. And the second (sorry, third) thing was: do they ever bother to create anything new in the Star Wars franchise? I get that this has to be familiar as a Star Wars story but the aliens, the robots, the tech... I swear almost everything is culled from somewhere in the original trilogy. Though I must say I was hugely disappointed that no-one had to deactivate a force field. Hopefully I won't have long to wait.

So yeah, great stuff. Deep it ain't, but TBH it's just fantastic to be able to enjoy something Star Wars again. Actually had a big grin by the end.

Not read any spoilers but why would they bring back Boba Fett? Isn't the whole point of this that the central character is to all intents and purposes supposed to be Boba Fett?

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #275 on: November 16, 2020, 03:45:04 PM »
This programme is basically a video game. Every episode:

Mando: "I need to X for baby Yoda."
Guest star: "OK, I can help you but first you must complete my quest."

Still loads of fun though. The action is brilliantly done and I love getting a bit of insight into what life is like in between the trilogies.

sirhenry

• That worked out well...
« Reply #276 on: November 16, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »
I've just been told that the reason Baby Yoda gets eaten in this week's episode is because it teaches him that eating other people's babies (see last week) is not a Good Thing.

I got none of that from the show itself and doubt it's true. But that won't stop the Baby Yoda fans using it as an excuse for his amoral behavior, I guess. And I thought that the Yoda species were supposed to be the ultimate Good Guys and Wise Old Ones, but considering how old Baby Yoda is in this (50), they are stunningly slow learners if this theory is true.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #277 on: November 16, 2020, 09:16:01 PM »
I've just been told that the reason Baby Yoda gets eaten in this week's episode is because it teaches him that eating other people's babies (see last week) is not a Good Thing.

I got none of that from the show itself and doubt it's true. But that won't stop the Baby Yoda fans using it as an excuse for his amoral behavior, I guess. And I thought that the Yoda species were supposed to be the ultimate Good Guys and Wise Old Ones, but considering how old Baby Yoda is in this (50), they are stunningly slow learners if this theory is true.

In Empire, Yoda was a cheeky little cunt, winding up Luke by eating his food etc.

I get the feeling that yodas are generally carnivorous little arseholes but powerful in the force or some shit.

Norton Canes

« Reply #278 on: November 17, 2020, 02:13:03 PM »
This programme is basically a video game. Every episode:

Mando: "I need to X for baby Yoda."
Guest star: "OK, I can help you but first you must complete my quest."

Well s01e02 certainly fits that template. Massively disappointed that after being zapped from their Sandcrawler, badass Mando decides to hunker down and trade with the Jawas rather than raiding the 'crawler in the middle of the night and blasting them all to cinders.

One episode in is a bit early for the plot to be put completely on pause.

Norton Canes

« Reply #279 on: November 17, 2020, 02:26:57 PM »
Also - I get why they went cute with the little Yoda. Given the fanbase it made complete sense. But I would've preferred something a bit more foetal, more grotesque. I remember an article in a Sci-fi magazine ages ago about the making of the baby dragons in the 1981 movie Dragonslayer - the FX guy said the initial models they made, like smaller versions of the adult dragon, looked too cute, so they ended up basing the final creatures on a banana fly slug or something equally gruesome. A slightly uglier, more repulsive little Yoda would have been a nice touch. Maybe than happens later?!

sirhenry

« Reply #280 on: November 17, 2020, 06:05:16 PM »
Baby Yoda is on the ISS! He’s being used, apparently, as a “microgravity indicator”.
That’s just NASA’s way of saying that he can feel a disturbance in the Force, isn’t it?
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/54971249

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• Muscular and compact, like corned beef
« Reply #281 on: November 17, 2020, 06:07:11 PM »
Also - I get why they went cute with the little Yoda. Given the fanbase it made complete sense. But I would've preferred something a bit more foetal, more grotesque. I remember an article in a Sci-fi magazine ages ago about the making of the baby dragons in the 1981 movie Dragonslayer - the FX guy said the initial models they made, like smaller versions of the adult dragon, looked too cute, so they ended up basing the final creatures on a banana fly slug or something equally gruesome. A slightly uglier, more repulsive little Yoda would have been a nice touch. Maybe than happens later?!
... Huh?

Norton Canes

« Reply #282 on: November 17, 2020, 09:55:50 PM »
I would just like to suggest a change to the end titles for this show. Instead of:

BASED ON
STAR WARS
BY GEORGE LUCAS

It should be

IMPROVES
STAR WARS
BY GEORGE LUCAS

Norton Canes

« Reply #283 on: November 17, 2020, 10:04:34 PM »
... Huh?

Just not keen that they went chibi style with little Yoda, is all. I mean babies are ugly little goblins really aren't they (and I should know, I had two) 

Norton Canes

« Reply #284 on: November 18, 2020, 11:10:27 PM »
Oh dear. 4 was poor.

There's a Scout Walker/Scott Walker joke there somewhere.

Norton Canes

« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2020, 10:20:01 AM »
I didn't get what the deal was with getting the AT-ST into the trench. Mando tells the farmers to dig a pit trap, so I assumed it would be camouflaged with leaves/branches etc. But it turns out to be full of water, which the walker crew can clearly see. It's not much of a 'trap'. And why does it even hesitate on the edge? Why not just go round? It stands there for ages.

Four episodes in and still no-one's had to deactivate a force field.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2020, 03:36:59 AM »
Oh dear. 4 was poor.

There's a Scout Walker/Scott Walker joke there somewhere.

Been waiting all day to watch the new one since seeing this and can't find it. Oh, you're on S1

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2020, 12:34:16 AM »
I see this show getting compared to the games a lot and this really felt like a Jedi Knight/Outcast level. I just want Kyle Kataran to turn up now. Have done for years.

Shadow Troopers at the end?

I like the way this show is done. No matter what you’re level of SW knowledge there’s something for everyone. Give me PC game spin off shit.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2020, 12:46:12 AM »
Also there’s a guy in the background of a shot who shouldn’t be there. Just hanging about in a t-shirt. I’m shite at posting pics but here’s a tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thecinemapunk/status/1329828707440201735

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2020, 01:21:17 AM »
I see this show getting compared to the games a lot and this really felt like a Jedi Knight/Outcast level. I just want Kyle Kataran to turn up now. Have done for years.

Definitely has that feel.

Wasn't really into today's episode. They seem to be much shorter and very little happens. Setting something up though which is good.

« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2020, 02:14:53 AM »
Oh dear. 4 was poor.

Is that the one with the training montage? I haven't watched the show since that episode, put me right off.

Norton Canes

« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2020, 06:26:33 PM »
Yeah. I'm prepared to accept it was a one-time lapse, though, and soldier on.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2020, 06:36:14 PM »
Was disappointed in the "might leave the child here to be protected by simpletons with pointed sticks and fuck off back to the guild bit in S1E4, even though that sentiment only lasted about 3 minutes.

Neomod

• .. and HEAVY EQUIPMENT
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2020, 07:13:18 PM »
That was mediocre even with the Brundle fly slaughter at the beginning.

Directed by Carl Weathers and no mention of getting a good stew going. Disappointing.

Mando lifting his helmet up to eat just looked silly and an answer to the how does he eat question no one was asking. Does he sleep with it on too?

the prick.

magval

• Magnum Valentino
« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2020, 07:43:05 PM »
That was mediocre even with the Brundle fly slaughter at the beginning.

Directed by Carl Weathers and no mention of getting a good stew going. Disappointing.

Mando lifting his helmet up to eat just looked silly and an answer to the how does he eat question no one was asking. Does he sleep with it on too?

the prick.

Aye like nearly every episode.

TwinPeaks

• didn't choose a very distinctive username did i
« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2020, 08:26:51 PM »
What's that swear word they keep saying? They've said it three times this series as if they want it to catch on but they say it so quietly I can't hear it. It's like flark nabbit or something

« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2020, 10:27:41 PM »
What's that swear word they keep saying? They've said it three times this series as if they want it to catch on but they say it so quietly I can't hear it. It's like flark nabbit or something

Fuck cunter.

sirhenry

« Reply #297 on: November 22, 2020, 07:45:12 AM »
Subs say "dank farrik".

Norton Canes

« Reply #298 on: November 22, 2020, 12:54:43 PM »
S01E05 'The Gunslinger' a.k.a. 'Return to Tatooine, the 'backwater' planet that's apparently the centre of the whole fucking Star Wars universe'

Oh dear (again). This really does look like an excerpt from a shonky modern-day sequel feature. The twist with the bounty hunter switching sides was nice, and I liked the way the Tusken Raiders appeared out of nowhere. But overall, it's thin stuff.

Someone said upthread that this series was 'style over substance'. But you know what? That's fine with me! A pre-eminence of style over substance is exactly what I want from throwaway sci-fi like this. I don't look to Star Wars for deep, complex drama. Mind you, I saw a bit of A Fistfull Of Dollars - the sort of thing The Mandolorian is trying to emulate - on telly the other night and it was pretty shonky too, so... maybe they're doing a better job than I thought.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #299 on: November 22, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
Subs say "dank farrik".

I thought that was a name

Tags: