Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:12:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad gateway

Started by Dex Sawash, November 12, 2019, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Looking into this again, as it doesn't seem to have gone away. Seems to be an unusually large number of guests - around 1000 to 1250 - so it's probably tied to the influx of spambots. Hopefully can get it sorted.

Fake edit: couldn't even post this. The host are mentioning connectivity problems so I'm looking into that too. it's not that.

Zetetic

I note that page generation times are still very reasonable, when it works at all.

It might be that the nginx config would benefit from some tweaking to make it play nicer with a larger number of simultaneous users. (Larger SSL connection pool, maybe? Shorter SSL connection lifetimes?)

But I'd guess that the 502 errors reflect something in the site/php-fpm breaking, possibly under load.

The config I setup does actually include some fairly aggressive per-IP throttling which I would have thought would help against bots and spammers. (I think this has also made Google etc. spidering less effective though; I've been meaning to offer to take a look at fixing this. Apologies.)

BlodwynPig

Dominic Cummings greasy fingers all over this

Barry Admin

This Linux shit is beyond me, I can't even get a console to open properly on my phone.

BlodwynPig

Tory Manifesto

Bad Gateway

No coincidence

Ambient Sheep

Sorry to have been a bother.  So it is the sinister side of things... :-( ...by which I mean random bots rather than the Tory party.

Please don't fret, the site is still usable, I really just wanted to check that it wasn't something at my end.

olliebean

I'm posting here in the hope that it immediately improves, the way it did the last time I posted in this thread.

<edit> Sorry, it doesn't seem to have worked this time.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 24, 2019, 02:55:28 PM
This Linux shit is beyond me, I can't even get a console to open properly on my phone.

I think it's about time you got yourself a computer. I could tell you how to get Windows 98 on it for free.

olliebean

Quote from: olliebean on November 24, 2019, 04:22:51 PM
I'm posting here in the hope that it immediately improves, the way it did the last time I posted in this thread.

<edit> Sorry, it doesn't seem to have worked this time.

It does seem to be a fair bit better now, though, so perhaps I do still have a bit of the magic touch...

Dex Sawash

olliebean

Working great now. I think this confirms that it's definitely me that fixed it. You're welcome.

the

Bad gateway, dirty gateway, in your bed

Edit: just got the SMF Connection Failed one too, that's usually not a good sign :(

Edit 2: Was getting "Table 'smf_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired" for about 7 minutes there

Dex Sawash

What are those bots up to?
Trawling for any kind of useable data?
Trying to brute force the login to post spam?

JesusAndYourBush

Just got an absolute mofo of a bad gateway and other assorted errors for the past 20 mins.

Zetetic

I don't really know. There are a bunch of seemingly Chinese (based on IP address amongst other things) from a range of IPs but declaring moderately distinctive User-agents seemingly just trawling through topics. Rubbish search engine spiders? Content filtering spiders??

Blocked a bunch of these user agents for now; CaB probably doesn't work from within WeChat...

Edit: Examples of the user-agents are "Mb2345Browser" and "LieBaoFast". Possibly all coming from Huawei Cloud IPs?

Barry Admin

That's brilliant, thank you so much, it seems much better!

Zetetic

Looks like a few sites have experienced similar in the last month or three. Not even clear to me if it's malicious.

Current solution feels a bit crude and in theory could affect some real users (e.g. if using UC Browser) but better than e.g. dropping all traffic from China.

Doesn't solve the fundamental vulnerability to what is a minor sort of a DDoS but I'm not sure what would.

Ambient Sheep

Cheers, Z, seems fine now.  Chinese building their own shit version of Google, then?  Or perhaps, as you also suggest, checking everywhere in the world for officially bad content to be censored by the Great Firewall.

I wonder if any of our expats in China have been having trouble getting onto CaB lately?

imitationleather

I just got an Huawei phone.

Am... I the baddies?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sounds like the internet potato that powers the website has gone mouldy. Time for a new potato methinks.