Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:51:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unexpectedly sad moments in comedy

Started by littlefoot, November 13, 2019, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlefoot

Any examples of moments in comedy that are stop-you-in-your-tracks sad?

I'll kick things off with...

Grandma's House, final episode.
The grandma, having lost her husband at the end of the previous season and spent most of the second season comically finding distractions from having to deal with her grief, opens the back door to her house, overlooking the garden, and sings a short song to him. Just a devastating little moment, gone before you know it, but wonderful for its inclusion.

petril

That Peter Kay Thing
In Leonard, near the start there's one tiny moment where the denial of his loneliness almost slips
"Do you ever get lonely?"
"No, never, never... I've lots of friends you see"

the little nervousness as he struggles to move off topic and then gets the funny nun out. In a very bleak episode, it's just that bit that almost gets me, he nearly opens up about how he feels, but can't... and he stays in the little trap he's put himself in.

SteK

In Hello Ladies when Kevis and Wade go into Stuart's bedroom when he's out trying to pull models and read the files on his computer about things to do, ie find a nice girl, learn to play the saxophone, don't die alone...

And they both realise although Stuart seems fatuous and shallow, he's actually a decent person with fears and a desire to be loved like all of us.

Merchant is a genius...

littlefoot

Quote from: SteK on November 13, 2019, 06:07:16 PM
And they both realise although Stuart seems fatuous and shallow, he's actually a decent person with fears and a desire to be loved like all of us.

God yes.

markburgle

It probably wasn't meant to be that sad, but I found the scene in Hippies upsetting where the unexpectedly nice policeman has got the gang's stolen magazines back for them, only to find out that the cover story is a pig with a policeman's helmet on it. The actor does it almost too well, the way his face falls and he stammers through his next lines - my heart breaks a little bit for that character in that moment.

Dr Rock

Can't think of any examples but SOAP used to be able to sneak in genuinely moving bits. Often involving Kathleen Helmond's big emotive face.

The football card scene in Early Doors always gets me.

Shaky

Perhaps an obvious choice from a series that could do pathos well, but the OFAH episode where Rodney gets married and Del is left alone on the dancefloor. Even the Simply Red soundtrack works tremendously. I remember watching that for the first time as a child and feeling absolutely gutted.

non capisco

Quote from: Shaky on November 13, 2019, 11:27:53 PM
Perhaps an obvious choice from a series that could do pathos well, but the OFAH episode where Rodney gets married and Del is left alone on the dancefloor. Even the Simply Red soundtrack works tremendously. I remember watching that for the first time as a child and feeling absolutely gutted.

Same. "I'll keeeeeeep holding on." I think I'm right in saying that it was originally intended to be the final episode of OFAH. It's arguable but I think it should have been.

SteK

Quote from: markburgle on November 13, 2019, 09:53:54 PM
It probably wasn't meant to be that sad, but I found the scene in Hippies upsetting where the unexpectedly nice policeman has got the gang's stolen magazines back for them, only to find out that the cover story is a pig with a policeman's helmet on it. The actor does it almost too well, the way his face falls and he stammers through his next lines - my heart breaks a little bit for that character in that moment.

The other copper in that scene was played by Pierce Quigley ISTR

madhair60

Dannyhood91

Quote from: madhair60 on November 14, 2019, 09:33:17 AM
Homer sat on his car

After his mother vanishes again? Gets me every single time. So relatable for me.

madhair60

South Park episode where Stan starts seeing everything as shit.

The end of "The Return of Chef", for some reason, I find really saddening.

jobotic

Quote from: madhair60 on November 14, 2019, 11:12:09 AM
South Park episode where Stan starts seeing everything as shit.

Agree. My son has got that coming in two or three years. Need to get out and ride our bikes more often in the meantime.