Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:13:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MASTERCHEF PROFESSIONALS 2019

Started by Twit 2, November 13, 2019, 11:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 28, 2019, 08:56:14 PM
Exose smashing it AND unreasonably handsome too!

Yes - fondant potato AND soufflé AND ice cream, all in critics' week as well.

On the subject of fondant potatoes, why does anyone ever bother with them on this show? They go wrong most of the time, and even when they go perfectly the reaction to them never raises above a meh.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 28, 2019, 08:57:15 PM
What's up with cunt eye?

I think the critics' week episodes have all been shot together, so he keeps lurching back and forth with his horrid pink eye from episode to episode.

Blue Jam

You do not need to poach an egg using vinegar, Monica you dunce. Chef my arse!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I always put a bit of vinegar in when I'm boiling an egg. It's meant to stop the shell from cracking, although that may be bollocks.

touchingcloth

I've definitely heard of the vinegar trick for poaching an egg, but when I've tried it it doesn't make the egg less likely to break up, it just makes it taste of vinegar.

The only reliable thing I've found to keep a poached egg in tact is to use eggs that are as fresh as possible, and for older eggs to boil them in their shells for a few second before poaching them. It's a bit rum that they gave contestants eggs of different ages and then blamed the shitness on a lack of vinegar. Maybe they're too used to only having really fresh eggs in their kitchen, but do the vinegar thing out of superstition more than science and have confused a correlation for causation.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 30, 2019, 12:54:40 PM
I've definitely heard of the vinegar trick for poaching an egg, but when I've tried it it doesn't make the egg less likely to break up, it just makes it taste of vinegar.

The only reliable thing I've found to keep a poached egg in tact is to use eggs that are as fresh as possible, and for older eggs to boil them in their shells for a few second before poaching them. It's a bit rum that they gave contestants eggs of different ages and then blamed the shitness on a lack of vinegar. Maybe they're too used to only having really fresh eggs in their kitchen, but do the vinegar thing out of superstition more than science and have confused a correlation for causation.

Its the bbc, engineering reality to create drama and villains

bgmnts

I have a feeling you don't like the bbc much Blodwyn.

Believe it or not, the easiest way to poach an egg is actually in the microwave. Half a cup of water in a tea cup, microwave 40-50 seconds, take out immediately. Just have to calibrate the water temp and length of time based on your individual microwave to get the perfect doneness.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I do scrambled egg in the microwave. Tastes exactly the same, and there's no pans to clean up afterwards.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 30, 2019, 03:35:54 PM
I do scrambled egg in the microwave. Tastes exactly the same, and there's no pans to clean up afterwards.

Don't you stir it as you cook?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Alright, so theres a spoon to wash up.

Neomod

Mayonnaise from Bean juice. I wonder what student came up with that one when the garage Tesco was closed.

thugler

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 30, 2019, 03:35:54 PM

Absolute nonsense unless you are shit at cooking eggs

Vinegar definitely reduces poached egg break up by the way.

touchingcloth

I would've liked to have seen what went into mussel hummus apart from just mussels. A shame he didn't do well, it would be nice to see a time when "mussel hummus" replaces standard hummus and quinoa as a thing dullards associate with the middle classes.

sevendaughters

M:TP is a really good barometer of what is hip in cooking right now. Only seen one dashi this year, couple of years ago we were drowning in them.

Tough quarter final yesterday, they basically put my five favourites together. Though Big Yann would go as the camera seemed to love sleepy Tom.

Exose will be a star no matter what.

bgmnts

Does Galetti even have a Michelin star to her name?

sevendaughters

Quote from: bgmnts on December 05, 2019, 03:30:25 PM
Does Galetti even have a Michelin star to her name?

she was senior sous at Le Gavroche which has had 2 stars for ages but I don't think she even had her own gaff until recently.

I quite like her actually. Not just because it prevents Masterchef becoming a blokezone, but she feels more chef than presenter. always preferred actual experts hosting factual telly.

touchingcloth

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 05, 2019, 03:26:56 PM
M:TP is a really good barometer of what is hip in cooking right now. Only seen one dashi this year, couple of years ago we were drowning in them.

Tough quarter final yesterday, they basically put my five favourites together. Though Big Yann would go as the camera seemed to love sleepy Tom.

Exose will be a star no matter what.

The flavour du hour seems to be sauces split with oils, though I think overall the series has had less in the wave of recurring fads like the sous vides, gels and tuiles of previous series.

Agreed on the finalists yesterday - I didn't want to see any of them go. Ridiculous fucking hipster round, though - what was with the names of those places? Orange Baboon or whatever it was and Smoke and Salt are quite different names, but they're pulled from the same cunt barrel. Also I lolled at "no oven, obviously - this is a pop up kitchen!", and yet one candidate had a sous vide machine and another whatever apparatus is needed for making gels.

sevendaughters

even worse bag of hipster scum today at the pop-up.

have hit my ceiling of "...but they've got to get it right" cut-aways. I KNOW, THAT'S WHY I'M WATCHING IT.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on November 13, 2019, 11:26:59 PM
Has Marcus Wareing ever killed a man?

Yes.

And his dad is Paul Hollywood. Who has also killed a man.

wooders1978

Who'd have thought courgette 5 ways would fail?

sevendaughters

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 06, 2019, 02:37:42 PM
Who'd have thought courgette 5 ways would fail?

[tag]vegetarian town planners of Birmingham rue[/tag]

"American mustard mayonnaise"

What the fuck?

sevendaughters

man Exose is just taking names in this competition and Monica is very sexually into him

felt Malin's race was run. seems like a good lad. I'd have a pint and a packet of pork scratchings with any of the last 8.

wooders1978

Calling Yann, Exose and Stu final reet noo

We're also approaching the boring episodes where they have to go to some mad restaurant

touchingcloth

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 11, 2019, 11:59:08 AM
man Exose is just taking names in this competition and Monica is very sexually into him

felt Malin's race was run. seems like a good lad. I'd have a pint and a packet of pork scratchings with any of the last 8.

Exose is great - he keeps giving himself dishes like soufflé which get fucked up 90% of the time in this show, sometimes multiple elements like that in a single dish. And he's just sailing through.

Not too keen on this Welsh lad's restaurant. Looks like Michelin slop designed for shovelling.

wooders1978

I quite liked the look of the restaurant tonight but he does seem a bit of a one trick pony that chef - bbq a thing, bung ketchup on in wriggly chefy pattern, add crunchy stuff - repeat

Edit - if anyone watched the across wales in a single line YouTube thing I am pretty sure he stumbles past this restaurant?

sevendaughters

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 11, 2019, 09:22:54 PM

Edit - if anyone watched the across wales in a single line YouTube thing I am pretty sure he stumbles past this restaurant?

not watched tonight's ep in full but it's not far away but a little bit to the south. like 10 miles.

sevendaughters

thought that Welsh restaurant was partly ruining nice bits of meat with a silly gimmick. I'd go there though, seemed very pleasant.

I think Olivia might pull this one out you know. Unflustered.

wooders1978

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 11, 2019, 11:09:45 PM
thought that Welsh restaurant was partly ruining nice bits of meat with a silly gimmick. I'd go there though, seemed very pleasant.

I think Olivia might pull this one out you know. Unflustered.

You might be right on young Olly there - need to revise my finalists shout to Olly, Exose and I still think Yann will get there, raw duck n all (though he was bloody lucky the other fella had a mare, "turmeric" ice cream ffs)