Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:49:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MASTERCHEF PROFESSIONALS 2019

Started by Twit 2, November 13, 2019, 11:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

bring back fat Geordie in his Welsh smokehouse, this guy today is full TVGoHome fodder

sevendaughters

sevendaughters

god I hate how it makes the contestants turn into unctuous wankers

restaurant for oligarchs, fuck this shit, I HATE FINE DINING ANYWAY

touchingcloth

Does anyone find this year's final eight unusual compared to previous years? Fewer wanky Michelin types than usual.

wooders1978

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 12, 2019, 10:44:55 PM
Does anyone find this year's final eight unusual compared to previous years? Fewer wanky Michelin types than usual.

Think it's going a bit out of fashion now the over fancy fine dining - it's all street food and pop ups now, maybe a brewery with dining

sevendaughters

I can't remember contestants year on year anymore such is the saturation of reality cooking gameshows but all I can say is that I like pretty much all of this lot and I mean that I can see through the overwrought presentation of Masterchef into their beating hearts and say they're all a decent bunch.

Generally I think the height of cuisine is something like you'd get in a bouchon or a good Japanese restaurant. There is presentation and skill, but there's something about the creation of a convivial atmosphere with high quality ingredient cookery that gets me ready to pick up the phone and make a booking.

Presenting an obscure meat 3 ways with various gels and split oils and reinterpreted veg is impressive on a superficial level, but it's also incredibly masturbatory. Obviously that's the remit of the show...maybe it needs to change.

Jittlebags

I only remember the bloke with the nice mustachios from a few year back.

wooders1978

So exose gets the worst feedback but isn't the one who had go home eh bbc

touchingcloth

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 13, 2019, 03:00:02 PM
So exose gets the worst feedback but isn't the one who had go home eh bbc

Ah he basically hasn't had bad feedback before, and Andy has had his fair share.

sevendaughters

I thought Exose's and Andrew's was equally 'bad' (fuck I mean I wish I could cook that badly)

Gurke and Hare

Exose's criticism was mainly about presentation, he got good feedback on the flavours. Andrew overcooked the meat, which is pretty much always fatal at this point.

touchingcloth

Exose always gives himself way more to do than some of the candidates, which in that round was his undoing. I got the sense they took that ambition into account when they judged him; with not many minutes more he would have had a faultless meal, whereas Andrew produced the meal he intended to within the time and it still had errors.

It's a shame that this show is so ruthless in not doing the thing of sending an extra person or two through at the end of a round, because I could quite happily watch a finals week with all the final 8 this year. The final 10-12, even.

I say it every year, but this show running in parallel to The Apprentice is always so stark in how the candidates are genuinely talented almost to a person, and yet there are very few outright show off dick heads.

Twit 2

There slumbers a saffron-coloured liqueur of exquisite delicacy! It gives off a subtle aroma of angelica and hyssop mixed with seaweed whose iodine and bromine content is masked with sugar! It stimulates the palate with a spiritous fire hidden under an altogether virginal sweetness! It flatters the nostrils with a hint of corruption wrapped up in a caress that is once childlike and devout! That is fackin' larverley!

touchingcloth

Living in Portugal, it was a lot of fun seeing them in Lisbon tonight. I was interested to see José pronounce Exose's name as E-ho-say, as x/j sounding like an aitch isn't a thing in Portuguese, either European or Brazilian, so for some reason he gave it what I only recognise as a European Spanish pronunciation.

One thing his restaurant seemed to be missing - even for an upper end Portuguese place - was a telly screen showing the footie. You can't escape them in restaurants here, no matter how much you pay.

sevendaughters

watching tonight's episode, keep imagining Stu as Kevin Rowland in Dexys and it's cracking me up.

Yesterday's Chef's Table episode was a bit of an hour long dry hump in the end but was worth it for that little Brummie love-in.

touchingcloth

^ why a dry hump? I thought they all did really well! Olivia or Stu for the win now, I don't think Exose will get it, amazing though he's been.

sevendaughters

just inasmuch as it didn't really lead to an elimination, was still fine telly.

think Olivia is going to do this and yes I think Exose's youth and inexperience showed in Portugal. but he's very good too.

touchingcloth

Yeah I don't think Exose will win. Either Olivia or Stu will take it, and I hope it's Olivia.

jake thunder

They've said "delightful" 400 times an ep on this show. I'm going mad

jake thunder

Someone buy these people a thesaurus plz!!!!

BlodwynPig

Gregg pretending industrially manufactured quiche lorraine is tasty on bbc2 a couple of days ago. Fraud cunt

touchingcloth

Quote from: jake thunder on December 18, 2019, 11:23:46 PM
They've said "delightful" 400 times an ep on this show. I'm going mad

"That food is a delight!" is what Greg says every episode.

Has anyone noticed that Marcus can't really pronounce "delicious" properly, yet says it a lot all the same?

gilbertharding

The "He's doing his weekly shop!" joke made me want all of them to win.

Exose seems to be running out of steam - it looked as if he would win at a walk for so long.

sevendaughters

actually I thought Exose's fish ouroborous looked actively shit, now I think about it

wooders1978

I think Stu will win - exose and Olivia in particular are amazing but haven't been very inventive so far

touchingcloth

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 19, 2019, 10:07:23 AM
The "He's doing his weekly shop!" joke made me want all of them to win.

Yes! I found myself thinking "I hope they're all having a nice time together in Lisbon".

wooders1978

Bloody hell im all emotional watching the final like a geet lassie

sevendaughters

good final there, good winner, good series, thank you goodnight!

wooders1978

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 19, 2019, 08:57:50 PM
good final there, good winner, good series, thank you goodnight!

100%!
My fave series yet

touchingcloth

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 19, 2019, 09:11:02 PM
100%!
My fave series yet

Agreed!

I didn't quite catch it, but when the winner range their partner on speakerphone and after a bit of a flat response said "well, aren't you going to congratulate me on winning?", was the response "yes, but I'm in the middle of doing my business"?