Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I right to be enraged at adults dressing up as Peaky Blinders

Started by Rizla, November 14, 2019, 01:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Saw one today, full costume, waxed moustache. Just going about his business. Should I have rugby tackled him, hit him about the head with his tweed cap and shouted "You might as well be dressing in a Spiderman costume" or was I correct to let him carry on about his business?

Rizla

We'd all like to leave the house dressed as gamekeepers from a storybook, but we don't, do we, to preserve the social bond.

Ferris

It's disgusting. As a native of the West Midlands, I can't describe how offensive it is to see someone in Birmingham-face.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 14, 2019, 02:51:25 AM
It's disgusting. As a native of the West Midlands, I can't describe how offensive it is to see someone in Birmingham-face.
My grandfather's work clothes are not a costume.

another Mr. Lizard

I've been accused of this - in winter months I can usually be seen in a long dark overcoat and slightly outsized peaked headgear. In my defence, I've never seen the show, and have been dressing like this for decades (the staff at the record shop where I regularly purchased punk and post-punk 40 years ago never knew my name but just referred to me as 'Flat Cap'). I don't do the full 'waistcoat/tie/weaponry' bit though - anyone who gets beyond my outer layer is most likely to find a baggy old t-shirt with an indie band or a horror movie emblazoned across it.
Older readers may remember the UK music press attempting to flaunt a manufactured youth cult, 'Young Fogeys', in the 80s (I think NME probably started it as a giggle and The Face then began taking it seriously), the idea being that you should start dressing in your grandad's old clothes.

Icehaven

Try actually living in Birmingham (unless you already do of course), it really is an epidemic here, and if you include just having the hair cut and/or cap then it doubles again.

Avoid the Bull's Head in Birmingham city centre then. I somehow ended up drinking a blood orange and passion fruit flavoured beer too. That sort of place.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Was he walking in slow motion as sparks flew from industrial equipment and anachronistic music played in the background, possibly whilst smoking an unfiltered cigarette? To answer your question, yes, you should have kicked his cunt off.

Icehaven

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 14, 2019, 06:34:23 AM
Avoid the Bull's Head in Birmingham city centre then. I somehow ended up drinking a blood orange and passion fruit flavoured beer too. That sort of place.

I actually used to go there fairly frequently when I went to a lot of gigs at what was then the Academy or the Barfly, but that was pre-Peaky Blinders. It's smack in the middle of Digbeth though so I'm not surprised to hear if it's become PB central. There's even a full on themed bar further up in Dale End which needless to say I've never been in.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: icehaven on November 14, 2019, 07:19:32 AM
I actually used to go there fairly frequently when I went to a lot of gigs at what was then the Academy or the Barfly, but that was pre-Peaky Blinders. It's smack in the middle of Digbeth though so I'm not surprised to hear if it's become PB central. There's even a full on themed bar further up in Dale End which needless to say I've never been in.

Yes, it's a beautiful, traditional Victorian pub of the type I usually love and they're still advertising live music but, I'm sorry to say...

AllisonSays

I wear a long grey coat and a flat cap but I have never seen Peaky Blinders, and I've been dressing like this for at least a decade. It's more a sort of Michael Collins-era IRA chic for me.

I wear mutton chop sideburns, platform boots and a mirrored top hat but it's not 1970s Noddy Holder chic - there's just something fundamentally not right about me.

Icehaven

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 14, 2019, 07:44:58 AM

Bloody hell, that's been tarted up since I was last there! It looks completely different to how it did about 10 years ago so I'm not sure how 'authentic' a lot of that bar is, the décor was more knackered 90's then. It looks great now, flat caps aside. There used to be an absolutely ancient card game type machine thing that looked like something from a 1970s spaceship in the corner of the bar, and there was nearly always a rather portly gentleman sitting in front of it pushing 10ps into it for hours on end.

Buelligan

I love people wearing clothes that express their feelings or interests or loves.  I think people should be encouraged to do it and go much further with it than they mostly do now.  Why tut to make life more dull?  Bring on the cowboys, the raggamuffins, the bearded ladies and dance because tomorrow, we die, that's my philosophy.

I'd dress like a Peaky Blinder if I felt like it and wouldn't feel the need to excuse myself to anyone.

king_tubby

Hasn't the beard crowd been dressing like the Peaky Blinders (a television programme I have never seen) since before the Peaky Blinders was shown on the telly?

Cuellar

All the lads at work walk like peaky blinders - ridiculous, arms out bowling along. twats.

Buelligan

Quote from: king_tubby on November 14, 2019, 09:25:10 AM
Hasn't the beard crowd been dressing like the Peaky Blinders (a television programme I have never seen) since before the Peaky Blinders was shown on the telly?

I have seen Peaky Blinders, it's great and I don't even have a telly.  And I don't care who knows it or whether that's seen as OK.  I like it because I love that period, am very interested (as I've probably mentioned before, many times) in the small histories of the First World War, so, obviously, this programme would appeal to me.  I also like the idea of those born to lose putting a bit of stick about and sticking it to their betters in some style.  I like the music and I love a bit of violence, it's made for me.

On the beard thing, I'd say, though I'm no expert, that they are more inspired by a slightly older style, late Victorian to Edwardian, which is when beardy, moustache-waxers were at their apogee.  More Holmesian, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, dandyish.  Easily confused, mind but far less working class. 

Neomod

The baker boy cap look has been done before. 1982.

In the Joboxers case I think it was the New Yoik docker look they were going for.

Norton Canes

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 14, 2019, 02:51:25 AM
It's disgusting. As a native of the West Midlands, I can't describe how offensive it is to see someone in Birmingham-face

As a native of the Black Country, I can't describe how offensive it is to see someone in Birmingham

BlodwynPig

Keep history as history. Squeezing narcissistic tendencies into this template dilutes its appeal 100 fold.

imitationleather

Norton Canes

Did this sort of mania grip the country in the 70's when When The Boat Comes In was pulling in 15 million viewers?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 14, 2019, 09:39:37 AM
Did this sort of mania grip the country in the 70's when When The Boat Comes In was pulling in 15 million viewers?

No, people had more important things to do

jobotic

It's pathetic. I've never even seen Peaky Blinders. As a Gomorrah fan I tend to wear a leather jacket with a snakeskin effect, jeans with lots of rips and garish writing, diamond encrusted sunglasses and a big gold chain and I ride a Vespa round the aisles of Sainsburys (in lieu of narrow medieval streets).

Buelligan

I think it's brilliant.  Looks like this person's life is flowering in a way that makes him feel right and comfortable, like it's interesting and enjoyable to be alive.  Would he be better off in a monotone Ikea billy world and some nice grey slacks?  Only if that reflected his dreams and personality, I think.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on November 14, 2019, 09:59:26 AM
I think it's brilliant.  Looks like this person's life is flowering in a way that makes him feel right and comfortable, like it's interesting and enjoyable to be alive.  Would he be better off in a monotone Ikea billy world and some nice grey slacks?  Only if that reflected his dreams and personality, I think.

Sadly, still a beige...he needs more insouciance

dr beat

Its a bit passe, both literally and figuratively.  That look is soooo 2012 now, never mind 1920s.  The cool kids are all now dressing like 1990s scalls.  At a recent gig I went to in a trendy bit of Glasgow it was wall-to-wall purple and teal shell suit tops, young Ryan Giggs haircuts (curly perm on top, number one to zero back and sides), pastel shirts buttoned right up, Chipie jeans and Stussy sweatshirts.

Cuellar