Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:01:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I right to be enraged at adults dressing up as Peaky Blinders

Started by Rizla, November 14, 2019, 01:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: dmillburn on November 14, 2019, 01:42:07 PM
In it's previous life as Sara Moons that place was probably the dodgiest pub I've ever been in to. Me and a mate spent 45 minutes or so in there waiting on a ticket tout for a gig at the Academy and it was like a comedy old Western saloon bar with non-stop constant fights, arguments, dodgy deals and bottles flying everywhere.

I popped in there a couple of weeks ago and it doesn't seem to have changed much except they have a few Peaky Blinders pictures on the wall and you now get your head kicked in by someone wearing a flat cap.

Exactly, hence partly why I've never been there, the other reason being that that whole Dale End area is extremely stabby these days. I mean it's in keeping with the theme of the programme I suppose, violence and all that, but I think I'd rather go home with my intestines in the inside.

KennyMonster

It sounds like some of you pro PB types might enjoy coming to my works Xmas party.

The theme of which is 'Steampunk'

S4Cs

Who on earth would waste time and money buying or hiring a Steampunk costume for a works Xmas party?*

*obviously it's all aimed at fun and sociable people of which I am certainly not one.

king_tubby

The whole point of steampunk is that you don't buy an outfit, you spend 100s of pounds and 100s of hours crafting your own unique costume from Victoriana scavenged from bins and junk shops and eBay. And then put a pair of goggles on a top hat 

Quote from: KennyMonster on November 14, 2019, 04:02:48 PM
It sounds like some of you pro PB types might enjoy coming to my works Xmas party.

The theme of which is 'Steampunk'

S4Cs

Who on earth would waste time and money buying or hiring a Steampunk costume for a works Xmas party?*

*obviously it's all aimed at fun and sociable people of which I am certainly not one.

Put on a pair of goggles, cover your face in coal dust, then remove the goggles and wipe your mouth. You'll look like a mad steampunk engineer! What could possibly go wrong?

Goldentony

It's fine to have a big auld laugh at people dressed in soft costumes. There's yer man out at the barbers with it's sociology graduates dressed like a bank teller in a cowboy film who says SEE after every sentence and there's John and his mates and they're all dressed as Bugsy Malone and that going for an Amstel next to the novelty golf and the novelty magician bar and the novelty pirate bar and the novelty david berkowitz bar and the novelty whatever. Pubs are closed so out go the lads to the joke bar for a big laugh at the jokes inside. Go home, shoot the dog in the face, chant into the mirror.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I was in Birmingham in the Digbeth bit when that Peaky Blinders festival thing was happening a few months back. They were all hanging out in this pub in full retro brummie twat clobber. My first thought was just that I'd discovered an extremely old man pub.

Gurke and Hare

My thought about it is sure, dress how you like, but why would you want to emulate a gang of violent murderers? I mean, when it comes down to it, the actual Peaky Blinders were cunts.

There was a story about teen gangs in Birmingham that I saw, where the owner of a bar was complaining about the lack of policing outside his bar and how it was allowing these terrible gangs to run riot. The bar is called Peaky Blinders. Oh mate.

Goldentony

in fact are you liberating the urine here mate, are they not blag like the fucking transformers

Twed

I think being enraged is the wrong approach, but I do actually find it exhausting to see huge groups of people expressing themselves by dressing identically in a style that has been pre-formed for them. It feels like all of the burden of self-doubt that they don't experience personally is shifted on to overly-sensitive people like myself and others here to feel on their behalf.

The young lad is my maternal grandfather (born Black Country 1896) standing next to his dad (his left). My great-grandfather was probably holding court with his cronies in the yard of the Wolverhampton pub he ran in pre-Peaky Blinders days. Dunno what relevance it has to this thread but I really like this photo. Carry on.

Goldentony

good age for someone still dressing up and going to pubs, fair game

gib

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 14, 2019, 07:18:11 PM
The young lad is my maternal grandfather (born Black Country 1896) standing next to his dad (his left). My great-grandfather was probably holding court with his cronies in the yard of the Wolverhampton pub he ran in pre-Peaky Blinders days. Dunno what relevance it has to this thread but I really like this photo. Carry on.

Great grandfather, eh? Well, judging by his lack of a hat, he's some sort of free-thinking anarchist.

Dunno about that but apparently he was a bit of a rogue (i.e. twat). My grandfather became a union shop steward and member of the Communist Party of Great Britain.

Brundle-Fly

I regularly parade myself like Cillian Murphy around the streets of London, except from 28 Days Later looking bewildered and wearing a hospital smock.

Sherman Krank

...and then for some reason nobody dressed up like a Peaky Blinder ever again.

Quote from: Goldentony on November 14, 2019, 07:24:35 PM
good age for someone still dressing up and going to pubs, fair game

Yes, to be honest I never liked the bloke but he's quite spritely for a one-hundred-and-twenty-three-year-old.

Buelligan

He sounds exactly the right age to have been roped into WW1, which I assume he was and I assume he survived.  Do you know anything about it that you'd care to share?

Cuellar

There was one, and him and another blinder had to beat up a whole pub because some racists made comments

Buelligan

Yeah but no one's watched it.  Heheh.  The completely fucking gorgeous Benjamin Zephaniah's in the opening scene I believe, and has a role throughout (though I haven't seen the last series).

Definitely

Quote from: Buelligan on November 14, 2019, 10:01:02 PM
He sounds exactly the right age to have been roped into WW1, which I assume he was and I assume he survived.  Do you know anything about it that you'd care to share?

Not much to tell, I'm afraid. He'd have been nineteen at the outbreak so would certainly have been the right age to get roped in but neither he nor anyone else ever mentioned his role, if any, in the war. I know he became active in the trade union movement in his twenties and for the rest of his working life. It appeared to run in the family because someone with the same surname (quite rare) was active in labour disputes in the Sydney shipyards in the 1900s.

Buelligan

How very interesting.  I think he must have been involved or a conscientious objector (an admirable stance in itself).  Conscription started in March 1916 for single men and was amended to include married men in June that year.  By the end of the war the upper limit for conscription was 51 (I believe), so a young man, like your Grandad, would've had the devil's own job to get out of it.  Maybe he was an objector, but that took huge determination and life was made extremely hard but it might explain why it was never mentioned.  It would be fascinating to find out.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never even thought his potential (non) involvement in the war until now but you've raised an interesting point about his potential status as a conscientious objector - it would certainly fit in with his political beliefs. With this here internet you kids are always on about I've got the tools to do some digging. Thanks for the suggestion, Buelligan (and sorry to everyone else for dragging things off topic). 

KennyMonster

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on November 14, 2019, 05:21:42 PM
Put on a pair of goggles, cover your face in coal dust, then remove the goggles and wipe your mouth. You'll look like a mad steampunk engineer! What could possibly go wrong?

What could possibly go wrong?

You could end up spending time, not just with the Tw*ts you work with but with ones who think that dressing up gives then a wacky, kerazy, fun personality.

Such as this bloke, who does actually work in the same company as me and loves to wear this get up at The London Olympics, festivals in Hyde park, Royal weddings and standing at the road to see Thatcher's funeral procession.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XM6hZFLQpiUiTaKg6

Kryton

king_tubby

Quote from: icehaven on November 14, 2019, 08:12:03 AM
Bloody hell, that's been tarted up since I was last there! It looks completely different to how it did about 10 years ago so I'm not sure how 'authentic' a lot of that bar is, the décor was more knackered 90's then. It looks great now, flat caps aside. There used to be an absolutely ancient card game type machine thing that looked like something from a 1970s spaceship in the corner of the bar, and there was nearly always a rather portly gentleman sitting in front of it pushing 10ps into it for hours on end.

That Bulls Head used to be the City Arms, up by Five Ways.

There's a Peaky Blinders themed pub is right by that new HMV - and it looks rough as. Turns out that's Dale End, never heard it called that. Yeah, not going in there.

I think there's another one in Digbeth, corner of Oxford and Coventry streets. Think.

Now, thinking more about it, The Big Bull's Head is in Digbeth, last time I went (before a gig) it was just a scruffy pub but thinking about it, it's prime for a Peaky Blinders makeover.

Anyway, I moved to Brum in 2013, and within a week of the first episode, that style was all over the shop. I was a wedding a few weeks ago in deepest Blackest Black Country and its still very much the style. Tighter trews, maybe, and the Ryan Giggs in 1991 hair do but its still there. The other big Brum style appears to be Gadge from This Is England, so fuck knows.

PS I'd like to know more about Zoltan's great grand-da.

Kryton

I feel a bit bad for calling Steam Punk people cunts.
They are merely just annoying.