Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I right to be enraged at adults dressing up as Peaky Blinders

Started by Rizla, November 14, 2019, 01:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Replies From View

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 14, 2019, 03:27:15 AM
My grandfather's work clothes are not a costume.

They are if he is retired.

He sounds like a bit of a hipster if truth be told.

Icehaven

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 02, 2019, 08:41:46 PM
That Bulls Head used to be the City Arms, up by Five Ways.

There's a Peaky Blinders themed pub is right by that new HMV - and it looks rough as. Turns out that's Dale End, never heard it called that. Yeah, not going in there.

I think there's another one in Digbeth, corner of Oxford and Coventry streets. Think.

Now, thinking more about it, The Big Bull's Head is in Digbeth, last time I went (before a gig) it was just a scruffy pub but thinking about it, it's prime for a Peaky Blinders makeover.

The Bull's Head I'm thinking of is the Digbeth one, opposite the coach station? Didn't know there was another one. Haven't been in it for years either, and never been to the 5 ways one. And yeah I wouldn't go in the Dale End theme bar, it does not have the best reputation for safety, going way back before it contrived this PB association.

Edit; Hang on yes I know the City Arms, behind the big nightclub? I did go there a few times as my band at the time played upstairs. So that's the one that's been turned all Peaky then, I see. Wonder why they changed the name?

Yes, that City Arms

Bought out by Davenports

City Arms didn't have the best reputation before the change tbf

There's also an The Bull near Aston University which has just changed hands. Nice pub that.

the

Quote from: Kryton on December 02, 2019, 09:14:36 PMI feel a bit bad for calling Steam Punk people cunts.
They are merely just annoying.

I've only known one and he was a truly dismal cunt, so 100% accuracy as far as I'm concerned.

Icehaven

I like a lot of the steampunk aesthetic but I wouldn't walk around dressed in it head to toe. Maybe some boots or a brooch or something but I'd feel like I was in permanent fancy dress if the majority of my wardrobe was like that. Also I can't be bothered to do the reading.

Quote from: icehaven on December 04, 2019, 01:50:17 PM
The Bull's Head I'm thinking of is the Digbeth one, opposite the coach station? Didn't know there was another one. Haven't been in it for years either, and never been to the 5 ways one. And yeah I wouldn't go in the Dale End theme bar, it does not have the best reputation for safety, going way back before it contrived this PB association.

Edit; Hang on yes I know the City Arms, behind the big nightclub? I did go there a few times as my band at the time played upstairs. So that's the one that's been turned all Peaky then, I see. Wonder why they changed the name?

Hi icehaven

Going to try the Digbeth Bull tonight before a gig. Will report back.

I will also check the site at the corner of the Oxford and Coventry streets.

Icehaven

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 06, 2019, 12:33:06 PM
Hi icehaven

Going to try the Digbeth Bull tonight before a gig. Will report back.

I will also check the site at the corner of the Oxford and Coventry streets.

Hi there, as the Digbeth one isn't the one that's had the makeover pictured above it might still be a bit dismal, unless it's changed too. There's a black and white one further up the road (oldest pub in Birmingham apparently), think it's called the Crown or the Oak or something like that, that used to be OK but again I haven't been there in ages either. Have fun anyway!

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on December 06, 2019, 12:35:56 PM
Hi there, as the Digbeth one isn't the one that's had the makeover pictured above it might still be a bit dismal, unless it's changed too. There's a black and white one further up the road (oldest pub in Birmingham apparently), think it's called the Crown or the Oak or something like that, that used to be OK but again I haven't been there in ages either. Have fun anyway!

I had a pint in the Crown and/or Oak not 6 months ago! It was alright.

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 06, 2019, 12:37:01 PM
I had a pint in the Crown and/or Oak not 6 months ago! It was alright.

First place I lived in Birmingham was about a 15 minute walk from there in Bordesley village, so that used to be what passed as our local. Our rent then (this was 2004) was £495 a month for a two bedroom new build flat with a balcony. I looked up the same block out of curiosity a few months ago, and it's about £850-£900 now. We moved because the landlord was selling up, and he offered to give us a discount off the asking price (not that I nor my flatmate were remotely interested or in any kind of financial position to do so), can't remember what it was but I bet it's worth double that now.

The Old Crown (mock tudor one) is OK, improved a bit since a few years ago when it was just chock full of dealers. There's a few clubs etc down the street under the arch.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 06, 2019, 02:36:01 PM
err

that's a big photo

Change the first bit in the link from "img" to "img width=500" without the quotes, if you're confused quote my post and you can see how it is done

Icehaven

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 06, 2019, 02:32:32 PM
The Old Crown (mock tudor one) is OK, improved a bit since a few years ago when it was just chock full of dealers. There's a few clubs etc down the street under the arch.

Does it still have that weird room that was always closed and felt like it should be a restaurant area but wasn't? I hope not as it was a right waste of drinking space. I also vaguely remember a Tiffany style lamp that had a too high wattage bulb in and the glass was melting all over the corner of the bar.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: icehaven on December 06, 2019, 04:04:13 PM
Does it still have that weird room that was always closed and felt like it should be a restaurant area but wasn't? I hope not as it was a right waste of drinking space.

Rumpus room. Key attached to a hubcap with a bathplug chain. No biting or gouging. Two men enter, one man leaves. Loser pays the hire fee.

Cardenio I

Following a thread I saw on here once I only wear jumpsuits now. This, too, will be s4c in about 3 years but for now I am a bigly hip grinfuck.

Icehaven

Well tonight I learnt Red Right Hand by Nick Cave is the feem toon to Peaky Blinders. It came on in the pub when I was at the bar, and I said 'Nick Cave!' and the barmaid said 'Yes it is, but everyone just says it's the Peaky Blinders song.' It's like Alabama 3 and Sopranos all over again.

So ...

new pub in Western Arcade - would recommend, not peaky blinder

Big Bull's Head - not as peaky blinder at the Bull's Head/City Arms but they have had a refurb along 'distressed retro furniture' lines and its nicer than the last time I went there. Right by the Institute, so good for pre-gig pints.

Deadwax Digbeth - my mate works there. Was the Waggon and Horses, 25 year old me may have loved it.

Institute - went to see Elvana. It was packed.

That was my Friday. I'm A Hat Like That and I approve this message.

Icehaven

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 08, 2019, 12:28:35 PM
So ...

new pub in Western Arcade - would recommend, not peaky blinder

Big Bull's Head - not as peaky blinder at the Bull's Head/City Arms but they have had a refurb along 'distressed retro furniture' lines and its nicer than the last time I went there. Right by the Institute, so good for pre-gig pints.

Deadwax Digbeth - my mate works there. Was the Waggon and Horses, 25 year old me may have loved it.

Institute - went to see Elvana. It was packed.

That was my Friday. I'm A Hat Like That and I approve this message.

I used to go to the Waggon and Horses all the time! Not sure about the name change to Deadwax though...Have they still got the massive Blues Brothers statue?

I think I'm going to go to the Bulls' Head (the properly peaky blinder pub) sometime over Christmas before my annual cinema trip to see Star Wars.

Oh, and the pub tucked away in Digbeth I mentioned right at the start of this? There was one that has a painted sign saying "Open soon, on the order of the peaky blinders".

yeah, that's still not open.