Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:09:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When will the age of the suit finally be over?

Started by Fry, November 14, 2019, 09:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Remember how everyone used to be dressed like a twat? With big powdery wigs, fluffy old ruffs and tights? Then before that everyone would amble around in suits of armour and chain mail literally all the time. Then before that everyone was in tunics and rags? Those were the gentleman's styles of time. Now we're in the age of the suit, and have been for about two hundred years. What I'm curious about is, what's next? Are we still going to be rocking suits and ties but the end of the century? Maybe something new? Like a formal hoodie or a boiler suit with little jets of water or something.

What do you reckon

Everyone will be dressed and styled like they're off of Peaky Blinders.

Urinal Cake

The waistcoat has gone unless you're a peaky blinder/mad men cuck. The tie is slowly going away. Eventually it will be too hot to wear pants and a coat.

Fry

Googled "Developments in gentlemen's formal wear" and look at this shit.

"Cuffed trousers", "Wider lapels" what the fuck that's all just basically still a suit. Fucking boring bullshit. I'm well pissed off.

Endicott

One day, everyone ....

... especially as the climate warms up.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'd rather people dressed in suits rather than some tech company Silicon Valley twatwear, thank you very much. You can shave that fucking beard off as well while you're at it, you look like a vagrant.
I do wish they'd make a formal shoe that's as comfortable as the trainer though, I mean it can't be that hard to achieve, surely?

Urinal Cake

A suit as a uniform is good- no real thought into coordination, go home take it off no longer working. None of this 'always on' bs.
As a barrier to entry- trash.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Endicott on November 14, 2019, 09:21:37 AM
One day, everyone ....

... especially as the climate warms up.

I've been been avoiding the Sonic thread

Blue Jam

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 14, 2019, 09:23:48 AM
I'd rather people dressed in suits rather than some tech company Silicon Valley twatwear, thank you very much. You can shave that fucking beard off as well while you're at it, you look like a vagrant.

Steve Jobs had a phobia of buttons and apparently that's the real reason why he was a scruffy twat and was so fond of touchscreens:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/nov/10/cotton-wool-thinking-can-i-conquer-my-unusual-phobia-buttons-bananas

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/11/steve-jobss-button-phobia-has-shaped-the-modern-world/

Nobody can know for sure but if I had to hazard a guess...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This thread did not read 'age of the slut' like I thought.

Goodbye.

I love wearing a suit. Feels great. Looks great. Nice suit, shirt, tie and shoes. Nice one.

kittens

they make me wear a suit for work and i look like a fucking idiot

wosl

It's obeying them that makes you feel like that; don't blame the suit.

Fry

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 14, 2019, 12:58:56 PM
I love wearing a suit. Feels great. Looks great. Nice suit, shirt, tie and shoes. Nice one.

And I'm sure some weird cavemen loved wearing his formal mammoth skin to go to the cave office to bash rocks together or whatever, but he evolved with the times an before long started to wear a suit. I'm not casting aspersions on suits I'm just saying it's time we moved on.

Small Man Big Horse

I only have to wear a smart shirt but even that's too much, I mean sure, I look fucking sexy, but I don't want the children to start fancying me, do I? And before you answer that question, no, I don't, not until the day they turn 27 anyhow.

dr beat

Quote from: bgmnts on November 14, 2019, 12:52:46 PM
Snooker.

The players haven't been wearing waistcoats in the English and Northern Ireland Opens this year.

Blue Jam

...also they weren't wearing waistcoats for the Snooker Shootout, just garish, ill-fitting shiny darts shirts with logos plastered all over them.

The Age of the Suit is dead, long live THE AGE OF GARY.

thenoise

I dread the day when men are able to wear 'whatever we want' a la women. There are clear rules to what men can wear, which makes dressing for special occasions dead easy and not even that pricey, provided you invest in the ubiquitous 'acceptable dark suit' at some point in your life.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 14, 2019, 12:58:56 PM

I agree (although the tie is optional), you non-suit wearers are missing out.

Better than the Patagonia vest/Midtown
Uniform

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/a22089261/midtown-uniform-vest-business-style/

king_tubby

Could be worse, lads, you could be wearing a fucking fleece.

McFlymo

Quote from: dr beat on November 14, 2019, 02:13:41 PM
The players haven't been wearing waistcoats in the English and Northern Ireland Opens this year.

And so it begins.

Cuellar

Can't really stand suits, want it over. Try cycling to work in a suit. Not going to happen. Leave the suit at work and change into it? No chance. No showers here so would just be putting it on sweaty.

But if you just wear smartish stuff to work how do you make the break from being in work mode when you get home? It's simple - put your pyjamas/joggers on as soon as you get in. What are you going to do once you're home from work, go out? Hah, forget it.

ProvanFan

Blue Jam

We live in such a fractured society now that nothing can ever go fully out of fashion, just as nothing can be more than 37% popular.

dissolute ocelot

Isn't the age of the suit over? If you look on Asos or Top Man most of the suits are garish sparkly or checked things clearly not designed for everyday wear. Most people only wear them to weddings, funerals, and job interviews, and even then not always - it's a stylistic choice to show that you are a twat. In the world of work, suit and tie is mainly worn by lower-level jobs like salesmen; even doctors and MPs these days don't wear a tie, and anyone with real knowledge makes a point of dressing like they've just spent three weeks in the Cairngorms.

Enter the modern age of machine-washable, no-iron, no collar. Until the fucking environmentalists stop us wearing artificial fibres and we have to knit our own clothes out of bark.

Fry

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 14, 2019, 04:09:22 PM
Isn't the age of the suit over?

Clearly not otherwise I wouldn't have made this thread would I? Dickhead.