Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:36:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anime [split topic]

Started by Spiteface, November 10, 2019, 02:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

Watch Berserk (1997).
That is all.

I've been enjoying the complex thriller Monster. Its incredibly dark, and a few scenes in the last one I watched where a poor kid is in the dubious care of a twisted old man unsettled me in a profound way that not many other shows ever have. Its appealed to me because it doesn't have that thing a lot of anime does where it goes all daft and ott where their arms go wavy and they start yelling in a childish manner.

Started watching berserk anime a while back but have been reading the manga now; absolutely wonderful stuff, sad to hear it apparently deteriorates later on? But for now, amazing. Just finished the Golden Age arc

Any other recommendations for anime where they dont engage in wavy armed ott shouting behaviour?

madhair60

No sorry. Everything I like is arm-wavy as fuck

Twed

The trouble with anime is that somebody will show me Kodocha or something because they liked it in their childhood and then I'll notice that it's out of print and EVERY LANGUAGE VERSION MUST BE ARCHIVED and spend $300 on Kodocha DVDs so that I can rip them all and preserve something from cultural history and then notice that the kodocha.tv domain has lapsed so OOPS BETTER BUY THAT and then the police come because I have been buying an immense amount of little girl anime.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Misspent Boners on November 11, 2019, 02:11:13 PM
I've been enjoying the complex thriller Monster. Its incredibly dark, and a few scenes in the last one I watched where a poor kid is in the dubious care of a twisted old man unsettled me in a profound way that not many other shows ever have. Its appealed to me because it doesn't have that thing a lot of anime does where it goes all daft and ott where their arms go wavy and they start yelling in a childish manner.

Started watching berserk anime a while back but have been reading the manga now; absolutely wonderful stuff, sad to hear it apparently deteriorates later on? But for now, amazing. Just finished the Golden Age arc

One thing I never see recommended, probably because it's so unlike most other anime and because it was never picked up for a second season, is this dark, dark anime called Flowers of Evil/Aku No Hana, filmed in a Waking Life-esque rotoscope style. Has some truly odd music by Asu-Chang and Junray.  If this ending theme appeals, then you should dig the tone of the series: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tDNj7mqOud0

Spiteface

Quote from: Misspent Boners on November 11, 2019, 02:11:13 PM

Doesn't that get said about plenty of long-running Manga/comics? Ask a load of readers and they'll be able to give you a point where someone went off the boil or is repeating themselves. Walking Dead being an example

After I watched the 1997 anime, I watched the three Golden Age movies. Not quite as good, and CGI is iffy in the first two, but solid stuff. You get more of The Eclipse, i.e. how it ends, still horrific.

Talking of that, I'm so glad I went in pretty blind on 90s Berserk. So rare you get to have that experience years after something got made.

Starting on the Manga, bought the Deluxe Edition volume 1 (I did download the first normal one off Comixology to see what it was like, decided I wanted the really nice physical books). Got plenty to dive into before I'm stuck waiting in real time!

Consignia

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 11, 2019, 05:07:03 PM
One thing I never see recommended, probably because it's so unlike most other anime and because it was never picked up for a second season, is this dark, dark anime called Flowers of Evil/Aku No Hana, filmed in a Waking Life-esque rotoscope style. Has some truly odd music by Asu-Chang and Junray.  If this ending theme appeals, then you should dig the tone of the series: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tDNj7mqOud0

Yeah, I loved that. Don't know if I could watch it again, but loved it when it was airing. Really dug the way it tried something different. In fact, in this necro-thread, I used it in the xmas quiz for that year, the first 10 are all ones that started that year and the minimum threshold was I had to really enjoy them to make the list. Although in retrospective, Arpeggio is not a series I particularly enjoyed nor would recommend really.

BTW, the reason it never got a second series was because it sold like shit. We're talking less than 500 copies per volume, which was utter wank at the time. What can I say, people don't have taste.

Ah eff eff ess! I downloaded a torrent and its turned out to be the manga. Soon as I saw they were zip files my heart sank and I just knew. Might read it but was particularly intrigued by the rotoscope animation aspect. I'll keep looking for it

Quote from: Spiteface on November 11, 2019, 07:31:30 PM
Doesn't that get said about plenty of long-running Manga/comics? Ask a load of readers and they'll be able to give you a point where someone went off the boil or is repeating themselves. Walking Dead being an example

Yeah but I have a really hard time investing in long form things that then fizzle out, although I guess Berserk is so wonderful right now that it wouldn't be that bad if I quit down the line when it loses its spark. Not sure I could ever pursue the Walking Dead for these reasons but I do have the whole run of Invincible on my laptop

Consignia

Quote from: Misspent Boners on November 12, 2019, 02:30:45 PM
Ah eff eff ess! I downloaded a torrent and its turned out to be the manga. Soon as I saw they were zip files my heart sank and I just knew. Might read it but was particularly intrigued by the rotoscope animation aspect. I'll keep looking for it

You can watch it here https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/flowers-of-evil

Berserk doesn't actually go off the boil, it just changes quite a lot and it does become more fantastical, to be honest. Each arc is quite different and people have different faves. Golden Age is my favourite but I've also been exposed to it the most. The Conviction Arc which comes next is many people's favourite and it is absolutely amazing. Some of it is very challenging to read, though. A lot of the complaints about the later stuff is due to the hiatus. There were years of waiting for one particular journey to end but because I came to it when that story was complete, I felt it actually moved along at a rate of knots (intended). It's also slowed down a bit in terms of the narrative over the last couple of years but it's now seemingly building towards something very significant again. I just hope Miura finishes it before he's dead. Apparently we're in the final third.