Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Should we get rid of election deposits?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 14, 2019, 04:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we get rid of election deposits?

Yes, completely
2 (33.3%)
No, but we should reduce them
1 (16.7%)
No
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Fambo Number Mive

Or at least reduce them from £500. The BBC say this is designed to prevent people from running as a joke, but it does mean that you have to have a certain amount of money to stand as an independent candidate. Does feel a bit elitist requiring someone to pay £500 to stand for election.

Personally I don't think there should be an election deposit.

Twed

It's very easy to feel negative about the UK, but things like this and "should we get rid of the less than ten quid prescription charge" are a good reminder that a lot of the problems there are better than some other places by magnitudes, and even then you're still striving to be better.

Alberon

As to the election deposits, maybe they should simply have to get 100 names, or 500, rather than just ten.

As to prescription charges, in my area they're now only issuing a month's supply at a time rather than two like they used to. Which would effectively double the cost for many long term patients, surely? I'm okay, I've got a medical exemption certificate, not just for the condition I qualify for, but for any prescription at all.

holyzombiejesus

Twed

Quote from: Alberon on November 14, 2019, 05:23:47 PM
As to prescription charges, in my area they're now only issuing a month's supply at a time rather than two like they used to. Which would effectively double the cost for many long term patients, surely? I'm okay, I've got a medical exemption certificate, not just for the condition I qualify for, but for any prescription at all.
Sorry to derail, I guess what I was getting at is that if the US had the current UK's situation for prescription charges it would be one of the most radical changes to society they'd have seen in 50 years and so it's great that the UK is starting with that and still trying to improve.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Independents should be allowed to stand for free if they can provide evidence of decent support (say 1% of the last elections total constituency turnout), or pay £500 if they can't.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I don't think I'd want to vote for someone who couldn't scrape together 500 quid. They clearly haven't got their shit together.