Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:03:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

new of montreal album 'ur fun' out jan 17th

Started by kittens, November 14, 2019, 04:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittens

can't wait. preordered vinyl.

song here: https://youtu.be/UuSfduz-sxk

haven't listened yet hope it's not shit

sevendaughters

glad they're over their maximal funk meltdown stage, the song you linked to is solid with a nice (normal!) melody but the recording isn't as full of personality as usual.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 14, 2019, 05:54:50 PM
the song you linked to is solid with a nice (normal!) melody but the recording isn't as full of personality as usual.

Yeah I can bet behind this. It's catchy and toe-tapping enough but it feels a bit flat from a cunt who was once known for coming out on stage on a fuckin horse and spraying fake blood all over the gaff. It's a nice enough song but I hope it grows on me when we get the scope of the full album.

I dunno man the older I get the more I feel like Barnes has about 50% great ideas/songs on each of his albums following Hissing Fauna, which still remains the unbeatable high water mark by a country mile. It's a masterpiece.

Egyptian Feast

Excellent, my first new of Montreal album since I fell head over heels for them a year ago. Really looking forward to this.

What's the consensus on the last few albums? I really enjoyed Innocence Reaches and White Is Relic, but I'm aware they had a fairly mixed response. I initially thought Aureate Gloom was their worst album, but when I realised I was still playing it every day a couple of months after I got it, I had to reassess. I think it might be one of my favourites now.

I was just listening to Paralytic Stalks before I saw this thread. The way that final track switches from being  one of the most joyous, spine-tingling songs he's ever written to ABSOLUTE FUCKING TERROR still gets me. "Every time I listen to my heart, I just get hurt". Yikes. On bad days, it's my favourite album of theirs.

sevendaughters

I've kind of checked out since Paralytic Stalks, not in a pissed-off way, but I feel maybe MY Of Montreal was the run from Cocquelicot to Sunlandic.

kittens

white is relic was the greatest since sylvanbriar in my book. i agree that this new song sounds fine but nothing exciting. i felt the same about its different for girls when i first heard it though and that album turned out to be mostly pretty good. so who knows. wait an see. christ i hope he comes to the uk again, it must be at least 5 or 6 years since they were last here.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 14, 2019, 06:59:21 PM
I've kind of checked out since Paralytic Stalks, not in a pissed-off way, but I feel maybe MY Of Montreal was the run from Cocquelicot to Sunlandic.

I've only recently got into their early stuff. Cocquelicot was the first one I tried after hearing his track on the Janelle Monae album and it fair set my teeth on edge. I was still intrigued enough to try Skeletal Lamping and The Sunlandic Twins and that was me hooked.

I really like Coquelicot and the early albums now, but I still prefer the stuff from Satanic Panic In The Attic onwards. The run from that album to Skeletal Lamping I would say is his most inspired period and Hissing Fauna/Icons, Abstract Thee ('No Conclusion', fuck me) his absolute peak but I'm very partial to pretty much everything from the last decade. He's a talented cunt, is Kevin.

I love bands where everybody has a different opinion on favourite albums/eras (and which were the shit albums and career lows). I take that as a sign that they have more than one trick up their sleeve.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: kittens on November 14, 2019, 08:15:28 PM
white is relic was the greatest since sylvanbriar in my book. i agree that this new song sounds fine but nothing exciting. i felt the same about its different for girls when i first heard it though and that album turned out to be mostly pretty good. so who knows. wait an see. christ i hope he comes to the uk again, it must be at least 5 or 6 years since they were last here.

2014 was the last time I saw them at Islington Assembly Hall but I seem to recall them playing basically every year prior to that, so they're long overdue a return.

Fuck, I remember seeing him and Rebecca Cash do an acoustic set an Elektrowerkz whilst his ex-wife sat at the side of the stage staring up adoringly at him. That was an incredible performance but knowing Kev as the mental hot/cold lovesick knobhead he can so often be, it was a weird dynamic to be witnessing.

SteveDave

"Coquelicot..." once cured me of the flu. I'm convinced of this.

My copy of "Adhils Arboretum" doesn't have an outer sleeve (for some reason the one me and my ex-girlfriend bought came with two copies in the gatefold) but the paper sleeve is adorned with (I presume) cartoons by the band who were of Montreal at the time.

They stayed in our flat after they played the Toucan in Cardiff in 2002 (it's now a Flares). I remember them pointing at a picture of Mike Nesmith I had on the wall and saying "Look it's Jason's dad". We all had breakfast and watched "Let It Be" together. A lovely time.

PaulTMA

They posted an Instagram story a month or two ago of a test pressing playing clips of every song from the upcoming album and it sounded very melodic and likely to be very great indeed.

It has also been since 2014 since I've been able to see them, which is kind of frustrating considering that was during the Lousy With Sylvianbriar era and obviously there's been 3 (soon to be 4) albums since.  They've also recently been putting some pre-Satanic Panic songs in their setlists for the first time in a million years, with the sole exception (as far as I know) being Honeymoon In San Francisco on the Snare Lustrous Doomings live album a few years ago.

alan nagsworth

I would walk through fire to see them play Lysergic Bliss and when I checked setlist.fm just now it seems they have been opening their shows with it across their most recent tour so they need to get the fuck over here sharpish

PaulTMA

Quote from: Egyptian Feast link=topic=76357.msg4011401#msg4011401 date=1573756639
I was just listening to
i]Paralytic Stalks[/i] before I saw this thread. The way that final track switches from being  one of the most joyous, spine-tingling songs he's ever written to ABSOLUTE FUCKING TERROR still gets me. "Every time I listen to my heart, I just get hurt". Yikes. On bad days, it's my favourite album of theirs.

This post has made me do something I guess I never have before, i.e. put the album on and skip straight to Exorcismic Breeding Knife.

Egyptian Feast

So, this is out today. Haven't got the vinyl yet, but looking forward to giving the MP3 download a listen this evening. I wasn't really fussed about either of the singles, but that's only going by one listen.

kittens

waiting for the vinyl to arrive. peace to all freaks has hugely grown on me. haven't listened to any of the other singles cos i wanna listen to that 'bum fresh. excited but it probably won't arrive for weeks.

Egyptian Feast

I couldn't resist having a listen, but I'll probably hold off listening to it again until the record shows up, whenever that will be. I've got more than enough to be listening to at the moment.

I liked it anyway. I was high and distracted, so can't really judge it from one listen, but the two singles have grown on me, especially 'Peace To All Freaks', and I remember enjoying 'Getting God's Attention By Being An Atheist' (cool intro) and the last couple of tracks. Can't wait to get stuck into it properly.

alan nagsworth

Kevin Barnes continues to outdo himself with the worst song titles of all time

Egyptian Feast

The last couple are particularly 'ok kevin'. Good songs though.

Egyptian Feast

Yay, my copy arrived today with a bonus orange chew bar. Cheers!

PaulTMA

BP Helium has uploaded an April '06 rough mix of an early, pre-Georgie Fruit tracklisting of Hissing Fauna and it sounds like one of the most lyrically destressing albums ever in this form.  Yet it still has three potential hits on it... (there's a download link in the comments)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UOjmrWY7rM&feature=emb_title

Big thumbs up for UR Fun, especially St. Sebastian.

Egyptian Feast

Yikes! That would still have made for an amazing album, but some Georgie was definitely needed to dilute the desolation. I'm glad the vinyl version has most of the Icons, Abstract Thee tracks because they are fucking incredible, especially 'No Conclusion', but it kinda ruins the flow of the album coming after all the Fruitiness.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 21, 2020, 08:50:29 PM
Yikes! That would still have made for an amazing album, but some Georgie was definitely needed to dilute the desolation. I'm glad the vinyl version has most of the Icons, Abstract Thee tracks because they are fucking incredible, especially 'No Conclusion', but it kinda ruins the flow of the album coming after all the Fruitiness.

Have never considered where those tracks would have fit before, but the rough tracklisting does appear to be the sequence he had in mind at that point.  Sounds almost Purple Mountains levels of worrisome.

This interview just popped up - St. Sebastian confirmed as (another) James Husband diss-track (kinda obvious to those who follow him on FB, though)

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/kevin-barnes-of-montreal?fbclid=IwAR24fe6t2NHVmg2BdX2o6F92z1y7ecLkmk5FX2vivA2OhbFvoGwDQV_Tpn0

CaledonianGonzo

This is top notch. 

I never really got on with White Is Relic - am I right or is it worth revisiting?

alan nagsworth

I thought it was quite middle notch to be honest. I just find myself increasingly disinterested with whatever Barnes puts out now. I wish I could feign enthusiasm but despite the constant transformations I still can't shake the feeling that the world (i.e. me) has had enough of Montreal. Like, it's decent enough, but does it need to exist and will I ever desire to revisit it when I could go back and pick about five or six of the far superior albums from the rest of his career instead? I really doubt it.

kittens

finally got my copy. some songs total bangers, especially you've had me everywhere and peace to all freaks. some not so good - don't wanna die in America. will give it a loads more listens.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 22, 2020, 02:26:27 PM
This is top notch. 

I never really got on with White Is Relic - am I right or is it worth revisiting?

i think white is relic is the best thing he's put out in ages. honestly think it's up there with the best.

alan nagsworth

Gotta hand it to Kev, the cunt sure does split onions

I tried to type "opinions" but my hopeless fuck of a smartphone got it wrong so it's staying like that 

Egyptian Feast

Your post caused my mind to throw up an image of Kevin attempting to karate chop an onion in half.

I really like White Is Relic too. Probably my favourite of the last few albums.

jobotic

I just...Ive been listening to the old Of Montreal stuff I fell in love with a few years after the event and it's just so wonderful. And this shit...I'm sure it's me but I just do not get it. And if you look at what else I post about I'm really not a must have guitars and a Beatles influence type of man either.

alan nagsworth

I put this on again yesterday whilst my partner and I got ready to go out, saying "I'm not really sure I like this new of Montreal album at all" and then about five songs in I was like "Actually what am I on about? This is really good". So my opinion has now changed to "good album".

When was the last time they played the UK? It feels like they've not brought the last three albums over the pond, whereas before that they used to be here every year. I would love to see them again.

sevendaughters

last time here was for 2 dates in 2016, last UK tour was 2015. like a lot of wise bands they come to Europe and just fuck the UK off. we pay shit and treat bands the worst.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, but London girls aren't snobs at all and Brighton's lovely in the fall.