Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pete Bradshaw - WHAT IS THERE TO BE DONE?

Started by Twit 2, November 14, 2019, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

Sounds like someone describing a DJ set (possibly in a Blue Jam sketch).

Edit: This works on a new page, doesn't it?!

beanheadmcginty

If it's good enough for James Herriot...

Mobius

Wasn't Grace Dent the woman who used to review Eastenders and Corrie on Screenwipe

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on March 18, 2020, 12:08:30 PM
Rayner's all right but I wish he'd stop doing this:

You use these aren't rejected descriptions from Jess Philip's leadership run PR?

king_tubby

Quote from: Mobius on March 20, 2020, 01:18:10 AM
Wasn't Grace Dent the woman who used to review Eastenders and Corrie on Screenwipe

Yes. A cultural titan.

buttgammon

She also had a soap column in The Guardian called 'World of Lather', so really qualified to be a food critic.

Cardenio I

Quote from: popcorn on March 18, 2020, 12:08:30 PM
Rayner's all right but I wish he'd stop doing this:

Florid, purple-prosing football writer Barney Ronay is also a big fan of this construction. Once seen cannot be unseen.

king_tubby

I hate Barney Ronay more than I hate HITLER.

kngen

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 17, 2020, 02:48:52 PM

Also... I know 'how to write' guides are bunk, but "...I gasped"? No: you 'said', please.

Suggests it's not been subbed properly, or at all. It's one of the first things you're told to look out for.

Quote from: Graun Style guide
"said normally preferable to added, commented, declared, pointed out, ejaculated, etc; you can avoid too many "saids", whether quoting someone or in reported speech, quite easily."

A favourite of mine that came across my desk was 'giggled through a mouthful of Pringles'. Unless the quote was actually, "hufhurhu*skronch*mmffherher*crunch" (it wasn't), I would argue that it really isn't accurate reported speech.

holyzombiejesus

Bradshaw on The Lighthouse: "saltier than an underwater sodium chloride factory".

kngen

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 23, 2020, 02:38:22 PM
Bradshaw on The Lighthouse: "saltier than an underwater sodium chloride factory".

Christ, I hoped you were joking, but no. And the following sentence: 'The script is barnacled with resemblances to Coleridge, Shakespeare, Melville'

'Barnacled with resemblances'? For fuck's sake.

Cardenio I

Pattinson delivers a performance straight out of Captain Pugwash and the cinematography is pure Riefenstahl by way of some sort of old fish.

popcorn

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 23, 2020, 02:38:22 PM

This is a certain writing trick I really resent, though some people love it. It used to be a staple of Charlie Brooker. You just think of some elaborate similar thing. "About as much as stapling your nuts to a dolphin and pushing it down a hill"

Armin Meiwes

Didn't they all just basically nick it from Blackadder?

popcorn

Did James Herriot do that then? I don't remember, I haven't read him since I were a kid.

gilbertharding

Second person to mention it.

Certainly all I really remember about James Herriot was him soaping himself up before plunging his entire arm up a cow... on prime time Sunday evening TV.

ElTwopo

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 23, 2020, 08:09:11 PM
Second person to mention it.

Certainly all I really remember about James Herriot was him soaping himself up before plunging his entire arm up a cow... on prime time Sunday evening TV.

Doh! Didn't see the earlier mention. Balls.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: popcorn on March 23, 2020, 06:34:22 PM
Did James Herriot do that then? I don't remember, I haven't read him since I were a kid.

Do you remember.any of the titles of them books you read?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 23, 2020, 08:09:11 PM

Certainly all I really remember about James Herriot was him soaping himself up before plunging his entire arm up a cow...

How *is* your mum?

popcorn

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 24, 2020, 06:11:27 AM
Do you remember.any of the titles of them books you read?

I see.

What a boring joke!!!!!!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: popcorn on March 24, 2020, 10:03:34 AM
I see.

What a boring joke!!!!!!

I thought it was quite witty,meself
(The wopo feller's post,not mine,orbviously.)

popcorn

Twonty Gostelow

I wonder what Rayner thought of Derek Nimmo.

gilbertharding

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm sorry.
* that clip from a Tex Avery  cartoon wherein the character's done something really bad, and they imagine themselves as a giant heel , with the word ' heel" over them.*
( " Heel" is American 50s cartoon slang for " crass, insensitive cunt")

Twit 2

QuoteThere's a character who objects to the isolation in which another character appears to be locking down his family and demands to know if this man considers her a "virus" who has to be kept well away. In her own domain, in fact.

How does he write prose this stilted? HOW?

Mister Six

Quote from: kngen on February 11, 2020, 01:51:39 PM
I missed this first time round, but, sir, I salute your indefatigabilty.

And I missed your reply! Thanks! It was, in fact, my fatigability and the knowledge that I would have to endure at least one phone call every issue bickering with her over placements of semi-colons and application of style guide (she was a section editor who wrote quite a bit of her own stuff) that made me pull the trigger. The sad thing is, outside of work she was quite charming and personable.

QuoteThere are quite a stunning amount of Graun critics - especially in the more niche subjects - who tick none of those boxes, but - despite repeated interventions from all quarters - still get work because commissioning editors are some of the laziest cunts on earth.

Sorry, I forgot to add 4: lazy cunt editors who won't have to deal with the consequences of their shit choices.

popcorn

The Guardian style guide is very clear that it should be "the Guardian" mid-sentence, not "The Guardian", a decision I support. But this banner has been on the site for months:

I fear something terrible may have happened.

dissolute ocelot

I found out recently the explanation for Adrian Chiles's Guardian column, perhaps the worst piece of journalism ever, like something your dad would write in an email: he's dating a senior member of the paper's editorial staff. It's a massive hive of nepotism and jobs-for-sex.