Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

i like the band Nirvana

Started by madhair60, November 15, 2019, 09:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Head Gardener

Hat FM

nirvana? did they copy their name off the t-shirt with the smiley face?

Inspector Norse

Pink Gregory

i like in utero i think its about babys and being sad.  i am sometimes sad too, but i am not a baby.

madhair60

nah though I do like em. I stuck on In Utero's remaster the other night and was like yeah good this. Except they mixed the cello almost entirely out of "dumb". Now that really IS "dumb"!

Pink Gregory

is that the remaster with the Steve Albini mixes of the singles put back in, or something else?

NoSleep

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It seems popular in some quarters these days to claim that Smells like Teen Spirit is bad. It's not bad though, is it? It's good. Even if the lyrics are meaningless, it's still rocking as fuck.

Head Gardener

fuck me, and I'm moving to Scotland in the new year duh

magval

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 15, 2019, 01:31:55 PM
is that the remaster with the Steve Albini mixes of the singles put back in, or something else?

It's a new mix from 2013 or so. There are a few very noticeable changes - Very Ape is another with a big revision. It's class. In Utero is fuckin deadly

sponk

Brilliant band. Miles better than Pixies, Melvins and all those other bands who only survived because Kurt promoted them

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 15, 2019, 04:38:32 PM
fuck me, and I'm moving to Scotland in the new year duh

It's no coincidence that Cobain's home town was called Aberdeen, where the only fun activity is wanking yourself off with a haddock.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 15, 2019, 02:19:12 PM
It seems popular in some quarters these days to claim that Smells like Teen Spirit is bad. It's not bad though, is it? It's good. Even if the lyrics are meaningless, it's still rocking as fuck.
It's fucking brilliant. Just obviously everyone's heard it way too many times.

Deyv

Once was walking to school with one of the cool kids. We chatted for a bit about music, and I mentioned that I liked Nirvana.

"What's your favourite album by them?" he asks.

"In Utero."

He stopped talking to me immediately. Didn't even acknowledge that I had said anything, or that I existed. 15-plus years ago, probably should've forgotten about him, but what a prick.

I like the band Nirvana too.

DrGreggles

I think their 'sound' dated really quickly, but the songs have something about them that the other grunge bands never got close to.
The unplugged album stands up the most to me and my aged ears.

NOT better than The Pixies.

Chriddof

Quote from: Deyv on November 15, 2019, 11:03:45 PM
"What's your favourite album by them?" he asks.

"In Utero."

He stopped talking to me immediately. Didn't even acknowledge that I had said anything, or that I existed. 15-plus years ago, probably should've forgotten about him, but what a prick.

That kid was weird, seeing as In Utero has always been the cool pick above Nevermind.

Rev+

In Utero is their only good album.  As in, start-to-finish good album.  Nevermind sounds a tiny bit too slow, like for all it's slickness it was recorded on failing equipment that somehow made it sound slow.

Shaky

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 15, 2019, 11:40:46 PM
I think their 'sound' dated really quickly, but the songs have something about them that the other grunge bands never got close to.
The unplugged album stands up the most to me and my aged ears.

NOT better than The Pixies.

Their sound has only dated insofar as it will always, inevitably, remain entwined with that late 80's to mid 90's period. The actual meat and potatoes of the music remains well tasty and billions of bands are still doing almost exactly the same sort of thing.

Quote from: Rev+ on November 16, 2019, 01:28:10 AM
In Utero is their only good album.  As in, start-to-finish good album.  Nevermind sounds a tiny bit too slow, like for all it's slickness it was recorded on failing equipment that somehow made it sound slow.

Nevermind is fucking excellent - nary a skippable song - but I can understand some people having issues about the production.

I approve of this thread. There's a Nirvana tribute band coming to Brisbane next month and I was on the fence about going but y'know what, I think I'll head along and enjoy that fine, fine music. Why not, eh?

Pauline Walnuts

I think this cover was the best thing they did:

But returning back to the other lot, I heard Never Mind when it first came out, but before they were big, I 'm old was cooler than you blah-blah.

You who that thing where you hear a song, and can't actually listen to it because you're trying to think of what songs it reminded you of? Well I got that. A lot.

I still regret not getting that copy of Bleach on white vinyl when I saw it for £6, instead of those signed Fish 12" singles.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: sponk on November 15, 2019, 07:01:46 PM
better than Pixies, Melvins and all those other bands who only survived because Kurt promoted them

my my this is a spicy one!

Gregory Torso

I think musically, they were pretty unremarkable - although I can't deny the electric feeling of yes!! that surged through my twelve year old brain at seeing them on the Word doing Teen Spirt - but Kurt was cool and handsome as all heck out, and has one of the great voices of rock music of any genre. They were my gateway drug to better things, but In Utero still gets a spin every once in a while. Dave Grohl was a good drummer too weren't he, shame he had to undo all that goodness by forming one of the worst dad rock bands in our turgid existences.

magval

Fucking deadly drummer he was and is, and he's excellent on the first two Foo Fighters albums, Probot, Killing Joke 03, ahhh, a fucking deadly drummer altogether. I don't think Dave really likes the Foo Fighters that much, and that's why he's always going off and doing other things where his playing is so much better. It's his job like, but there's no fulfillment there.

Best Nirvana tune is Milk It, while we're throwing that in.

Dirty Boy

They were great until you discovered MelvinsPixiesBigBlackJesusLizardSonicYouth and realised that the stuff he ripped off was done far better far earlier (although i think Cobain was always pretty honest about influences tbf, Apart from Killing Joke).

Aneurysm is a hell of a lively tune though, i'll give you that.

alan nagsworth

They're one of those bands where I see all the idolatry and hype and praise and I just know it's entirely justified. I thing if you're one of those people that compares them against other bands then you are a bit of a tit and sound like a mardy grandad. It's not about that. It's about energy and capturing a vibe and enthralling your audience and they fucking nailed it.

Idles are fucking shit though, an insult to punk. What's that all about?? Eehhh

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 16, 2019, 05:12:25 PM
They're one of those bands where I see all the idolatry and hype and praise and I just know it's entirely justified. I thing if you're one of those people that compares them against other bands then you are a bit of a tit and sound like a mardy grandad. It's not about that. It's about energy and capturing a vibe and enthralling your audience and they fucking nailed it.

Idles are fucking shit though, an insult to punk. What's that all about?? Eehhh

Preach brother...

Also Foo Fighters are really good live...

SO many spicy takes in this thread.