Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:13:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

i like the band Nirvana

Started by madhair60, November 15, 2019, 09:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

i wish id heard of Cows when i was listening to all this stuff,

really enjoying them, but as a teenager they would have blown my tits off

wosl

They're great if you don't think about them too much and get bogged-down in the pop cultural whys and wherefores; if one comes on and catches you unawares, it usually sounds great: Heart-Shaped Box, All Apologies, You Know You're Right. I've never owned any of the albums, but they were good at doing a tune, and seemed well motivated until it all went wrong.

Paaaaul

The week that Nevermind came out, I probably listened to it 50 times. And then I got sick of it, and I've maybe listened to it 3 times since.
I think it was the production. There's not a lot of depth there. You can only dig into it so far, then there's nothing else to discover.
I've listened to Bleach and In Utero far more often in the last 25 years.

grassbath

Dave Grohl provides the extra magic sprinkle on 'Lithium,' in the bridge/outro bit - that fill after each 'I'm not gonna crack.' Love that, good one Dave. He could have just gone on playing straight but that fill seals the deal. Great song. Great band. Definitely 12-year-old me music but they have endured.

Phil_A

Quote from: sponk on November 15, 2019, 07:01:46 PM
Brilliant band. Miles better than Pixies, Melvins and all those other bands who only survived because Kurt promoted them

Wow, I wonder how both those bands continue to tour and record without the magical endorsement of Kurt, does it carry on beyond the grave or something?

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 15, 2019, 01:32:16 PM
My bestest one by the Nirvana band

Yeah, absolute sand-belter that one. Also like Sappy. Great band. Disregard the shite I typed on the last page about them being musically unremarkable, but double down on how shite the Foo Fighters are. Hot-cha!

Hundhoon

its not hard to see why John Peel started playing them very early on in 1988 or 1989, their early tracks like About A Girl and Silver have something about them.
this band deserved to be as big as they were. They were never in my top 10 groups of anything but i i think everything they did was good, and Kurt was a fascinating (if depressing) character
In Utero i like the most too, its dying to sound like a Big Black's Atomizer tracks like Scentless Apprentice sound like Big Black, I reckon it could have sounded even better had the label not been so overbearing.

BRen

Always thought Bleach was their best album, along with the Incesticide compilation.

jobotic

I bought Bleach because they were on Sub Pop and I bloody loved Superfuzz Bigmuff. It's really good but Superfuzz Bigmuff is better.

Nirvana were great sometimes, alright others but could be dull as well. I don't really understand why they were so massive and others weren't.

rasta-spouse

The only one I relisten to is In Utero, and it's for dat Albini sound.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: jobotic on November 18, 2019, 11:11:46 AM
I bought Bleach because they were on Sub Pop and I bloody loved Superfuzz Bigmuff. It's really good but Superfuzz Bigmuff is better.

Nirvana were great sometimes, alright others but could be dull as well. I don't really understand why they were so massive and others weren't.

Isn't it simply because of their overexposure and the exponential growth that followed? I would imagine it's a case of promoters etc. saying "THESE are the fuckin poster boys of this sound" for a number of basic factors like Kurt being a handsome funny enigmatic and wild frontman, and their ability to write catchy tunes which also shred like fuck. (Not trying to be patronising when I say) it's easy to see why they got the big break they did. And I'm also not trying to say they're better or more valid than any other band on that scene. But as a "pop group", as I said in my previous post, I get it, and the hype is justified. They're great.

DukeDeMondo

The Albini mix of "Dumb" fell into my ears earlier when I was supposed to be listening to something else. The Yandhi bootleg, as it happens. "Dumb" came on because I had jabbed my thumb at the wrong things. It wasn't the version with no cellos though. The original Albini mix. I presume. I don;t know. Bootlegs, like, you never know for sure. I agree with Madhair. They shoudln't have taken them away, the cellos.

It's incredible, anyway. I listen to it quite often, In Utero, especially the "Albini" version.

"Rape Me," though. What the fuck are we to do about that? Problematic, the man says. Or is it? I don't like listening to it, I don't believe it's anything other than a Bad Old Media / Greedy Old Record Company / Bad Old Media/  Wrong Kind Of Fans song and for that reason I tend to skip it for I think it's objectionable to compare selling too many records to being raped. He claimed it was a song of defiance from a rape victim's perspective, where rape is rape, it isn't a metaphor for something far more important like, I dunno, someone taking a picture of Courtney Love falling out of an answering machine, but I don't buy that for a second. Maybe started off like that, but that's not what it ended up being. It's not aping Teen Spirit for nothing. A song you wrote getting too popular. Yeah, all those Teen Spirit units. Just like rape. Exactly the same.

Whatever interpretation you butter your bread with, it's still wrong-headed and objectionable. That's what I think. That's why I mostly skip it. Mostly. Depends how cold it is. Whether I can take my gloves off long enough to press the >. Sometimes I can't so I listen to it and it fucking rocks but I don't like it.

I could just delete it from the album. You can do that now. But I don't.

Anyway, all that aside, In Utero and Unplugged are amazing, the pair. The whole rehearsal and everything of the latter used to be on YouTube. Maybe still is. Captivating, is a word you'd use about it.