Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:20:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How to stop a cold?

Started by Lost Oliver, November 15, 2019, 10:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

How?

I've got a course this weekend and I really don't want to go to it feeling like wank but I can feel a cold is on the way and I didn't sleep well last night.

So how can i stop it?

In preperation I've got myself lemon, lime and ginger and I'll be chopping those up and drinking them with hot water all day. I've also got grapes, blueberries, bananas, tangerines and an Innocent Citrus Shield drink.

What else should I do? Will going for a run help? Exercising?

How do you stave off a cold?

Lost Oliver

I've put the heating on and I've got a hot water bottle with me too. Am also wearing a hat.

Neville Chamberlain

Chollis

start absolutely chugging Berocca pal

Chollis

chug chug chug chug chug chug chug!

Endicott

Lost Oliver

I've got another hat, should I wear that too?

Good shout on Berocca I'll go get some in a bit.

Buelligan

Honey.  And some medicinal alcohol if you want.  Here we drink le grog (I imagine its name has some sort of relationship to the grog ration of British naval history - having just read my wiki link to le grog, it appears that it does and to a tradition instigated by that famous English admiral Edward Vernon).  Anyway, le grog is normally rum (but you can use whiskey), a good tot, mix it in a heatproof glass or mug with a large spoonful of honey and the juice of a lemon or lime, top it up with hot water and drink it nice and warm.  Very good for the morale.

Also, plenty of fluids (water or juice for preference).  Eat well, rest. 

Cuellar

Cuellar

I mean, no lots of booze. A bit in a hot toddy or whatever is probably fine. Don't drink enough to knacker your system.

Buelligan

Quote from: Cuellar on November 15, 2019, 10:25:14 AM
I mean, no lots of booze. A bit in a hot toddy or whatever is probably fine. Don't drink enough to knacker your system.

That's also good advice for when you haven't got a cold on the way.  So top advice, that.

Jasha

Quote from: Lost Oliver on November 15, 2019, 10:22:17 AM
Good shout on Berocca I'll go get some in a bit.

What and run the risk of someone with a cold sneezing on you!?

NoSleep

If all else fails get some co-codamol for the weekend; they will relieve symptoms enough to allow you to function on the course.

Lost Oliver

Proof if proof be need be:

Once I'm done with this lot I'll head out to get the berocca and ingredients for le grog. 

NoSleep

I've noticed that work related pressure allows me to resist colds and flus. I only ever crumble to these at times when I'm taking holiday time. So just power through.

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 15, 2019, 10:25:17 AM
Big wank

Good shout. Make snot come out of willy so it doesn't block your nose.

"First Defence" by Vicks, if it's still early enough in your cold. When I bought it on someone else's recommendation, the pharmacist said "yes, it's about the only thing that actually works."
If I had time to embellish this post with something a bit more interesting I really would do, but I have to stare out of the window at the leaves.

Chollis

QuoteWhen used at the first signs of a cold, Vicks First Defence Nasal Spray has been clinically proven to help stop a cold: it traps, inactivates and removes the cold virus. Despite your efforts if the virus still develops into a cold, it may be up to 2 days shorter and less severe than an average cold. Vicks First Defence nasal spray is a medical device.

First Defence Ronalado spray works at the first signs of a cold

Helps to stop the cold in its tracks before the symptoms get worse

It traps, inactivates and removes the cold virus from your body, before it develops into a full blown cold

This sounds amazing and I'm going to buy some for when I start getting a cold in the coming weeks. Pre-emptive strike!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Read the reviews. First Defence nasal spray causes a startling number of people (ie. A higher minority than I would think acceptable) severe pain. My partner got some to help with the symptoms of a cold and instead had to take a day off in agony with a blinding headache.

Absolutely nothing will make your cold go away except a bit of waiting around.

Glebe

Vit C and chicken soup, I reckon.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's just symptom relief until recovery. Everything else is lies. Delicious lies.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 15, 2019, 10:57:48 AM
Good shout. Make snot come out of willy so it doesn't block your nose.
early man practiced trepanning for ailments up until wanking was invented

Beagle 2

I had four colds between July and October this year. At the start of October I started taking multivitains, vitamin B complex and Zinc every day. I have not had a cold since. Last night my cold-ridden son smeared his germy snot all over my nose in a slimy disgusting eskimo kiss. This is the tester. If I remain cold-free by Monday, I can confidently say that I have discovered the secret to ridding the world of the cold.

While I said that nothing will get rid of your cold, I do think taking vitamin d and zinc helps stop them in the first place.

However the zinc you get in multivitamins is not a kind that your body absorbs very well.

SteveDave

Quote from: sick as a pike on November 15, 2019, 11:02:10 AM
"First Defence" by Vicks, if it's still early enough in your cold. When I bought it on someone else's recommendation, the pharmacist said "yes, it's about the only thing that actually works."
If I had time to embellish this post with something a bit more interesting I really would do, but I have to stare out of the window at the leaves.

I do this too. It burns like bad coke but seems to destroy all germs deid.

jake thunder

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on November 15, 2019, 01:49:46 PM
While I said that nothing will get rid of your cold, I do think taking vitamin d and zinc helps stop them in the first place.

However the zinc you get in multivitamins is not a kind that your body absorbs very well.

How so? What are other sources of zinc besides guns, telephones, zinc ore etc...?