Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pokemon Sword/Shield

Started by Dog Botherer, November 15, 2019, 07:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Botherer

picked this up last night for the kid, have already logged 4 hours on it while he's at school. really enjoying it so far. the Dynamax system is interesting, definitely based off the raids in Pokemon GO. the selection of different Pokemon is great, no waiting 3 or 4 towns in before you get to the good stuff.

not sure how the multiplayer is but if anyone on here is looking for a Dynamax buddy i have literally no one else to play with.

I got this as well. Might as well. Seems OK, probably great for kids.

Couple of hours with this today and it's a delightful slice of escapism. They haven't bust a gut with the technical aspects, they just haven't, but it's very solid and robust in every way and gets you right into the fun. I'm sorry I'm knackered and have an early start because this is the ultimate cosy bedtime game.

kittens

is it as illegal as the fucked up nobodies on 'reddit' would have me believe. should i get it for christmas or will it make me sad.

Dog Botherer

illegal? no idea about that but if you fucking love catching pokémon this might be the most fun pokémon game ever.

had a moment of realization in that i clearly love the encounter system because it's lifted wholesale from Dragonquest and i am absolutely fine with that.

Dog Botherer

i have like 60 different pokémon and i haven't hit the first gym yet. this is nuts.

Bazooka

It's the only core Poke men game I've not played(no switch), but I heard it's too easy the level the Pokemon as exp share is automatically in there, not bad though if you don't have time to grind.

Fry

Personally I reckon the addition of automatic exp share and the way you now gain exp after catching a new Pokémon greatly improves the pacing of the game. You can waste time trying out different Pokémon, catching as many as possible and playing with different team combinations while still feeling like you're actually progressing. I wanted a female wobbafet last night because it looks the same as the man one but has lipstick on, for that reason alone I spent a good 40 minutes hunting and (accidentally) killing and wasting loads of pokeballs just trying to get one, but it was actually fun and I felt like my entire team was improving. Catch rate does seem to be lower than I remember from before though.

But yeah I'm having a great time with it. Has anyone actually managed to use the online features yet? My GF and I spent a while trying to get a trade going over the internet but it just wouldn't fucking work.

Dog Botherer

yeah i'm entirely on board with the automatic EXP share. just catch everything you see and have fun. i can see why the old school grinders would be irritated but it's just so much more fun.

haven't really used any of the online stuff yet, tried the random trade a couple of times but never got any matches even after leaving it running for a few hours.

Bazooka

No I entirely agree just commenting on what others have said.  I think it's because in Generation 1,2,3 etc you could use most pokemon in a team and still be tough yet still face a challenge(sure you would choose some big hitters), then then Gamefreak introduced a whole crew of complete shit and super powered offerings at the same time. This made levelling a real chore, because why grind for a piece of crap?

Dog Botherer

haven't had much time to play but this game remains enormous fun. been chopping and changing my team constantly since i keep finding new pokemon i love.

I wish this were more anime/Japn and I'd be all over it.

Thursday

I don't care about Pokemon, it's kids shit. So which should I get, Sword or Shield?

I got Sword so get Shield and we can swap Poks. Wish this were the more like Fire Emblem tiddy lounge.

Thursday

Picked this up. (Got Shield) It's a bit weird because you're like 10 years old, but the women are all total milfs. Particularly your own Mum. So you can't do anything. Shame.

Dog Botherer

beat it this morning. was way over leveled at the end, one hit k/o every one of the champion's pokémon. haven't touched the postgame yet, hopefully there's a little more than finishing out the dex.

Thursday

Enjoying this, it does seem like a bit of a pushover so far, which I'm fine with, but I just did the grass gym badge was easier than a lot of encounters along the way.

Dog Botherer

i don't think i had any trouble with any of the gyms after the third one or so. if you do dynamax raids you get so much candy that it's incredibly easy to power level everything.

it does feel very short compared to other pokémon games. getting to each gym used to be a challenge in itself in previous games but i don't think any of the trips was longer than half an hour at most.

Kelvin

Does this game contain any funny perspectives on the UK? Stuff like the teapot pokemon and football hooligans?

Barry Admin

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Kelvin on December 01, 2019, 01:40:24 AM
Does this game contain any funny perspectives on the UK? Stuff like the teapot pokemon and football hooligans?

everyone calls each other "mate", which is fairly disconcerting.

no shinies yet over here. although the closing credits do contain a shiny Toxitricity.

Pancham is such a sound guy. Looks like a panda, headbutts like a punk.

Some of them are pretty abstract though. I got one called Snorunt or something. Looks like a triangle with eyes. Megapod or something, looks like a stone banana insect. Ziggaboom or something is great. Looks like a badger but spiky, really cute. Lot of them look like lil cunts.

Dog Botherer

fyi there is a Diaper pokemon.

Consignia

Quote from: Dog Botherer on December 01, 2019, 09:49:32 PM
fyi there is a Diaper pokemon.

I've just googled that, and even with safe search I got some pretty soul destroying stuff returned from Deviantart.

kittens

anyone else absolutely fucking hate Hop. would love to batter the little cunt. i just beat kabu and so far there is no story or challenge. team yell is pointless. hope it gets better. still gonna play it all. got shield if anyone wanna trade sclusies.

Thursday

Yeah Hop is very irritating, and it's weird that Marnie has a team of Paedo's following her around, somebody needs to have a word with them.

Consignia

I'm enjoy this, although it feels so much of a missed opportunity. The Sun/Moon series felt like a massive shake-up, and this feels a regression to the norm (not that I've played any of the games from Red/Green to Sun/Moon, but I get the impression). I don't think it deserves the level of negativity levelled at it, but also perhaps not worthy of any real positivity.

kittens

damn just fully evolved my sobble. what the fuck. haven't looked at the others but damn i wish i chose the monkey. what the fuck is up with these pokemon.

Dewt

That's not very sensitive, this is the first time they've included HIV positive Pokemon and we honestly shouldn't exclude them because their energy isn't quite the same as previous, non-cancer generations.

kittens

really fucking pissed off about what my sobble evolved into. what is it? inteleon. it is listed as the 'secret agent pokemon' and it's a big long very thin lizard. is it supposed to be gex, from gex? it makes me think of a worse gex. looking at how that cunt hop's fire rabbit is going that's gonna end up shit too. should've had the green monkey. fuck's sake