Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:14:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pickled onions

Started by king_tubby, November 15, 2019, 07:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Right, I need help. Does any commercial enterprise sell pickled onions that aren't a load of bland soft crap? Look, I know, I've been spoilt, I grew up on home made pickled onions - brown as night and crunchy as a motherfucker, but my selfish father refuses to let me have his stash, despite pleading. I have given making my own a go, they were great, but the house stunk of vinegar for weeks, and I can't find pickling onions in the shops for love nor money anyway.

So please, help me out. I've just had some cheese and biscuits with Morrison's own brand and a man should really not have to live like this.

ProvanFan

Ritz, dairylea and pickle is a party favourite in my classy family

idunnosomename

buy a bunch of onions from the supermarket put them in a big jar then piss on them

Cold Meat Platter

Barry Norman's pickled onions are great but I cant find them anywhere anymore.
I know he's dead but that didn't stop Paul Newman.

Famous Mortimer

I'm having a very vigorous Pavlovian response to just the thought of pickled onions. I've never even thought of looking for them in an American supermarket, but tonight I'm going to scour the aisles. PICKLED ONIONS

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 15, 2019, 08:16:51 PM
I'm having a very vigorous Pavlovian response to just the thought of pickled onions. I've never even thought of looking for them in an American supermarket, but tonight I'm going to scour the aisles. PICKLED ONIONS

Mt Olive pickles does them

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 15, 2019, 08:48:07 PM
Mt Olive pickles does them
Pickled onions pickled onions pickled onions

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 15, 2019, 08:50:01 PM
Pickled onions pickled onions pickled onions

Pi-pi-pickled onions
Pi-pickled onions

Now stuck in head

popcorn

Pickled onions are delicious, but bear in mind that they're not vegetarian - they are made from the onions of cows.

Cuntbeaks

I'm partial to a pickled onion, but it's all about the homemade pickled eggs.

derek stitt

I get all my pickles from a woman at a car boot sale. A lot of car boots seem to have some woman selling home made pickles, preserves or cakes at them. My advice, try a car boot sale. However, be forewarned, I once had a pickled egg with a runny yolk. This egg was bought from a car boot sale.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

pancreas

Buelligan has a recipe.

I made it.

It was pretty good.

We put them in stuff until they were gone.

Rizla

I love onions. I want to touch and smell his hair.

owlboy

I have always preferred pickled pickles. They are so much nicer than non-pickled pickles. Why did they have to start pickling things which aren't pickles?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

monkfromhavana

popcorn

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 16, 2019, 11:07:25 AM
Garners are fantastic.

Found a jar of these in me mam's cupboard today and had some with lunch. Can confirm - perfect crunch.

Jockice

Pickled onion flavoured things (esp Monster Munch) good. Real pickled onions bad. Even I can't explain that one.

beanheadmcginty

As a side note, I'm disappointed to see that the word pickle is starting to supersede gherkin over here due to those Americans. My dad on the other hand calls them wallies, which I do appreciate.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 15, 2019, 08:12:27 PM
Barry Norman's pickled onions are great but I cant find them anywhere anymore.
I know he's dead but that didn't stop Paul Newman.

Apparently you can get them from Tesco. £2.50 though, so they'd better be fantastic for that money. Are they really that good?

derek stitt

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 16, 2019, 12:28:40 PM
Apparently you can get them from Tesco. £2.50 though, so they'd better be fantastic for that money. Are they really that good?

They are really very nice, spicy though.

The Lidl pickled onions in basalmic vinegar are nice too, nowhere as nice as homemade ones though. The Co-Op do a good pickling spice if you want to pep your own up.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'll pick some up next time I do an online shop.

popcorn

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: popcorn on November 16, 2019, 08:04:44 PM
thanks.

Do you want anything else? One of those nice microwave curries maybe?

H-O-W-L

Aye, the Barry Norman ones are fucking fantastic.

Glebe

I much prefer BOIIIIILED ONIONS!

Quote from: Rizla on November 16, 2019, 01:29:00 AMI love onions. I want to touch and smell his hair.

Pootle has let himself go.

alan nagsworth

I also am here to profess love for Barry Norman's. Haywards hot and spicy brand are also belting.

king_tubby

This is all good info, thanks everybody.