Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:20:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies With No Love Interests

Started by MortSahlFan, November 16, 2019, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

From the 1930-70s. Any country.

"12 Angry Men" is the one that comes to mind.

Cerys

Jim Bob

Last Tango In Paris
In The Realm of the Senses

Blumf

The Straight Story

Něco z Alenky

Robocop (yeah, you briefly see his wife, but she's no longer a love interest, and Lewis is purely professional/platonic)

bgmnts

Quote from: Blumf on November 17, 2019, 01:20:42 AM
The Straight Story

Něco z Alenky

Robocop (yeah, you briefly see his wife, but she's no longer a love interest, and Lewis is purely professional/platonic)

Robocop is from da eighties.

Kryton

greenman

Andrei Rublev, Stalker, Sorcerer, A Man Escaped, 400 Blows

chveik

samadriel

Dex Sawash

MortSahlFan

Sin Agog

Seeing as how this is manifesting itself as Movies With No Women (which is more a slight on Hollywood's impression of them as being nothing but a gaggle of moon-eyed Mills & Booniacs), then let's go with Lawrence of Arabia.  Unless you count Jose Ferrer's contactless splooging in his jodhpurs while El Aurens gets bludgeoned by his gap-toothed crones as a love scene, which it kind of is.

Gulftastic

I was going to suggest 'The Great Escape' but then I remembered how much Ives loved Hilts.

Blumf

Quote from: bgmnts on November 17, 2019, 01:25:13 AM
Robocop is from da eighties.

Oops, forgot the time range.

Um... Song of the South

Lassie

M

Dr Rock

Come on, this is too easy.

The Wicker Man

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 17, 2019, 02:38:30 PM

The Wicker Man

Would you say its a great movie? I had a chance to see it, but did something else. I know it will be on TV again, and wanted to know your opinion.

Dr Rock

The original? 10/10 movie.

Alpha Papa

Sin Agog

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 17, 2019, 02:39:46 PM
Would you say its a great movie? I had a chance to see it, but did something else. I know it will be on TV again, and wanted to know your opinion.

Having an interest in English pagan culture helps.  Things which on the surface seem twee, like Morris Dancing, are actually about pounding the ground to wake up the old gods.  Plus every song on that soundtrack is about sex in some way, especially that track Christopher Lee sings based on lyrics taken from an old medieval village manuscript about a woman whose cunny is so loose that only this insanely well-hung blacksmith or whatever he was can satisfy her (exactly like the original Santino plot-line of the Godfather).  So extreme randiness and communing with old gods, all by perfectly pleasant seeming people in a perfectly pleasant locale.  What's not to like?  Maybe some don't find it all that scary, but I always found it atavistic shite disliking a horror movie because you're not scared or a comedy because you're not laughing, so long as it works on its own terms, which it certainly does.  Got given the original uncredited source material Ritual by David Pinner, and they turned a fairly run-of-the-mill whodunnit with vague hints of Pan in the air into something so much richer, even if it still shows a few Hammer marks here and there.

EDIT: Changed Sonny Corleone's name from the Greek island Santorini to Santino.

Rizla

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 17, 2019, 02:39:46 PM

Absolutely, 10/10, for the original short version at least. The longer cut flabs out the story and makes it less plausible, I think - if Howie was on the island for more than 2 days he'd have sussed what was going on.

As for scary, Sin's right about a bit of british folk knowledge  adding to the fear factor; anyway, when I first saw it on telly in the early 90s (Moviedrome, I believe) I had no idea about the ending and I found it absolutely horrific, scariest thing I'd seen since The Shining. The island folk, so steadfast in their belief, and Howie in his. Chilling.

NurseNugent

MortSahlFan

I remember a really good one.. "La Caza" (The Hunt), directed by Carlos Saura.

famethrowa

Can anyone confirm The Cars That Ate Paris for me? There is no way I'm going to watch it to check. Nuh uh.

Sin Agog

The Man Who Sleeps (by himself, not with women, nor blokes- ALONE!)

Last time I watched it, though, I did like to imagine the female narrator was having a sort of ethereal relationship with her charge and was getting increasingly fecked off at his soul-crushing anxiety and resulting fecklessness.  You can hear it in her voice.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 17, 2019, 02:38:30 PM

The Wicker Man

Features a scene of the main character with his fiancee.