Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies With No Love Interests

Started by MortSahlFan, November 16, 2019, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 20, 2019, 04:05:34 PM
The Man Who Sleeps (by himself, not with women, nor blokes- ALONE!)

Last time I watched it, though, I did like to imagine the female narrator was having a sort of ethereal relationship with her charge and was getting increasingly fecked off at his soul-crushing anxiety and resulting fecklessness.  You can hear it in her voice.

I gave that a 6/10, and just clicked on the IMDB movie link, hoping I'd find some IMDB Lists for similar movies.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 20, 2019, 04:35:53 PM
Features a scene of the main character with his fiancee.

Only in the director's cut, which many, myself included, do not consider to be the definitive version.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Kryton on November 17, 2019, 02:55:42 AM
The Thing (1982)

Eighties film. The rules of Mort's threads are very specific.

Sin Agog

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 20, 2019, 08:02:48 PM
I gave that a 6/10, and just clicked on the IMDB movie link, hoping I'd find some IMDB Lists for similar movies.

Closest I've seen to that 'un is Louis Malle's The Fire Within.  He is a tad more social than yer Sleeps bloke, though.  Then again so is one of those Greenland Sharks which bangs about under the ice caps.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 20, 2019, 09:46:22 PM
Closest I've seen to that 'un is Louis Malle's The Fire Within.  He is a tad more social than yer Sleeps bloke, though.  Then again so is one of those Greenland Sharks which bangs about under the ice caps.

"The Fire Within" is very good. Speaking of Malle, he made one of my favorite documentaries, "Place de la Republique" where he goes around Paris asking provocative questions. I love the social kinds, speaking of that, there's a new "Seven Up"... "Chronicles of a Summer" is also very good.

Sin Agog

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 20, 2019, 10:05:23 PM
"The Fire Within" is very good. Speaking of Malle, he made one of my favorite documentaries, "Place de la Republique" where he goes around Paris asking provocative questions. I love the social kinds, speaking of that, there's a new "Seven Up"... "Chronicles of a Summer" is also very good.

Will hunt that down, man, ta!  Love directors who yo-yo between features and docs until eventually you don't know what's what anymore.

Just thought of another one in a sorta similar ball park to Man What Naps- Herostratus.  It's about an angry young fella who sells his suicide to a big time company.  But really, stylistically if not thematically, essay films like all those Jonas Mekas flicks are closer in feeling.  Have you seen As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty?

Swoz_MK

Quote from: bgmnts on November 17, 2019, 01:00:37 AM
The Exorcist.

Wasn't Chris shagging Burke Dennings before his neck got twist-up? Might have been in the book. Or I made it up.

lipsink

Quote from: Swoz_MK on November 21, 2019, 03:24:53 PM
Wasn't Chris shagging Burke Dennings before his neck got twist-up? Might have been in the book. Or I made it up.

Nah, not in the film anyway. I think he definitely fancied her though. The bit at the party when he's drunk and hugs her goodbye he looked like he was about to make a move and then decided not to.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 21, 2019, 02:40:36 AM
Will hunt that down, man, ta!  Love directors who yo-yo between features and docs until eventually you don't know what's what anymore.

Just thought of another one in a sorta similar ball park to Man What Naps- Herostratus.  It's about an angry young fella who sells his suicide to a big time company.  But really, stylistically if not thematically, essay films like all those Jonas Mekas flicks are closer in feeling.  Have you seen As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty?

I didn't see it, but I did notice it is almost 5 hours long. Do those home movies fly by?
I'll add it to my watchlist, thanks.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Scum. There's no love displayed in the greenhouse, although in the original TV play Carlin does snag himself a nice prison bitch.

The sellotaped-on love subplot in Commando didn't hold much interest.

Dr Rock

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Logan
King Of Comedy
Point Blank
The Friends Of Eddie Coyle
The Breakfast Club
The Last Starfighter
There Will Be Blood

H-O-W-L

Dr Rock

samadriel

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

bgmnts

Night of the Living Dead. (Fuck off this film passes the Bechdel test doesn't it?)

Dr Rock

bgmnts

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Alien
Apocalypse Now

Dr Rock

chveik

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 21, 2019, 08:32:10 PM
The sellotaped-on love subplot in Commando didn't hold much interest.

If the final shot hadn't implied that Rae Dawn Chong would be sampling a bit of Austrian Oak, then it would definitely be a goer.

A Clockwork Orange would be my nomination

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Alex shags those two girls he meets in the record shop.

Dex Sawash

Charlie's Angels? (not seen it tho)

It might actually be true in the new woke one. Not the previous one.