Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,494
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

FPS NIGHTMARES

Started by Lemming, November 17, 2019, 12:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

...bollocks.[nb]edit: new page new bollocks[/nb]

Bazooka

Yes you can, Bethesda enabled mods in both console Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Zetetic

PS4 Skyrim mods:
- Don't support external assets.
- Are collectively limited to one gigabyte in size.

Lemming

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 12, 2021, 01:41:36 PM
Sorry Lemming for diverting your excellent thread into some esoteric bullshit about skyrim.

The diversions are the best part of the thread!

Skyrim modding has to be done on PC, really. In addition to all the new content and mechanics overhaul mods, you can get it looking absolutely shit-hot:

St_Eddie

Quote from: Zetetic on February 12, 2021, 12:46:28 PM
It's absolutely not dogshit in the ways that you might fear.

Just in all the ways one wouldn't imagine? :p

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Crumb on February 12, 2021, 11:08:18 AM
How do people feel about Morrowind having no quest markers, just verbal directions? For me, a nice way to make you pay attention to the world, but absolute hell when you couldn't work it out.

The places are marked on the world map but the directions are sometimes terrible and the paths sometimes take you the long way around. Easy to get lost and stuck in some really dangerous areas.

Phil_A

Quote from: The Crumb on February 11, 2021, 11:42:14 PM
I loved the exploration in Morrowind, there were so many weird, interesting, creepy and dangerous places to stumble upon. And it didn't level loot, so you had a chance of finding amazing items right from the start of the game.

Agree the combat was rubbish, the funnest thing was using spells to make game breaking feedback loops of damage or buffs.

Characters were weird, the dialogue system was so primitive and most NPCs were basically walking reference books. Feels super dated now that almost everyone stands stock still 24 hours a day, sometimes with a bug gradually pushing them into the walls or floors over time.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure there was some loot levelling in Morrowind, at least in regard to the contents of boxes which change as you level up. Maybe it doesn't apply to NPCs necessarily, not sure.

That reminded me though that the Tribunal expansion introduced a game breaking addition, whereby when you defeat one of the assassins who attack you in the early part of the game(not too hard to do) you can steal their entire set of Dark Brotherhood armour which is stronger than anything else available at that point, giving yourself a massive advantage right from the start.

Bazooka

Correct, container items were scaled but NPC inventory and exterior items on shelves etc were set.You could steal some decent stuff at level one with careful positioning outside of NPC vision cones.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Was just coming here to post that.

(You can also obtain any daedric weapon of your choice if you tell Dram Bero in Vivec about the location of some mine or other that is about 2 minutes run from Balmora.)

On the flipside, it feels like those opportunities to find valuable loot should be there, because the first few plays at low level on Morrowind, trying to find your own way and not savescumming are a very hard slog.

PlanktonSideburns

oblivion was 4 quid on steam, so got it installing again now

going to try one of those Cerys style Mureder Everyone In Sight dealios, and a normal run

so whats the crack with this interesting npcs mod? can i install it on the steam edition version?

any other mods to make the graphics ace also?

Zetetic

Interesting NPCs is a Skyrim mod. Available for both the original and the "Special Edition", bought via Steam or otherwise.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Zetetic on February 13, 2021, 01:04:13 PM
Interesting NPCs is a Skyrim mod. Available for both the original and the "Special Edition", bought via Steam or otherwise.

aah fair doos. just doing some oblivion modding tutorials.

will stop stinking this thread up with it and maybe make a seperate thread for it

Phil_A

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 13, 2021, 12:26:38 PM
Was just coming here to post that.

(You can also obtain any daedric weapon of your choice if you tell Dram Bero in Vivec about the location of some mine or other that is about 2 minutes run from Balmora.)

On the flipside, it feels like those opportunities to find valuable loot should be there, because the first few plays at low level on Morrowind, trying to find your own way and not savescumming are a very hard slog.

Yes, that's very true. I couldn't imagine a playthrough without the Boots Of Blinding Speed, it takes bloody ages to get anywhere otherwise.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phil_A on February 13, 2021, 02:00:59 PM
Yes, that's very true. I couldn't imagine a playthrough without the Boots Of Blinding Speed, it takes bloody ages to get anywhere otherwise.

"What's that you're wearing on your feet, pal? New shoes, is it? Oh, they're those new enchanted boots, aren't they? Very dapper, mate. Bet you can get an extra hour of sleep before work with them boots on to speed up the morning commute. Proper tidy, mate. Nice one."

St_Eddie

I'm hoping that you're still planning on continuing this thread, Lemming.  If you are, then I'd like to ask if you'd be willing to travel back in time and cover another game from 1997; Realms of the Haunting?  I'm currently playing through it myself and it's a really interesting game.  I've actually owned an original copy ever since it's initial release but for some reason I never got around to properly playing it until now, 24 years later.

It's a part FPS and part inventory based point & click adventure game.  It makes for a really interesting mash-up of genres.  It also has FMV cutscenes, which is always a bonus.  I'm really enjoying my playthrough and would be interested to here your thoughts on the game.

It's available through both GOG and Steam.  If you do buy it, then be sure to install the North American patch, as it adds a bunch of customisation options, including the ability to customize your controls from the awkward standard setting.

Lemming

Don't worry, this thread cannot die. At the very least, I can't quit before getting the chance to rip into Half-Life 2 and set everyone off again.

It's been slow going recently, partially because I've been playing games as I get access to them, which has led me to have played and completed some games from 2000 (Soldier of Fortune, Star Trek Elite Force, Gunman Chronicles and No One Lives Forever). I've written the reviews in advance but I'm holding off on posting them in a desperate attempt to preserve the vaguely chronological nature of the thread.

Realms of the Haunting looks really cool! I saw some of it on a stream a few years ago and I think it was originally on my list for 1997 but I somehow ended up missing it. I'll mark it down and check it out - there's a few other games from previous years which I've missed which would like to go back to (including several console-only games, and I really really wish I'd done the Wing Commander series).

St_Eddie

I'm very happy to hear the thread will be ongoing.  It's the best thread on CaB by a country mile.  I'm also pleased to hear that you'll be adding Realms of the Haunting to the list.  Oh and please, please do consider going back and covering the Wing Commander games.  I'm a big fan of the series; Wing Commander III in particular.  It features a giant talking cat named Hobbes (as in Calvin and Hobbes).  What's not to love?!

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 03, 2021, 07:50:08 AM
I'm very happy to hear the thread will be ongoing.  It's the best thread on CaB by a country mile.

You must have missed all my hilarious "off the wall" threads in HS Art[nb]some of them garnering two or even three replies![/nb].

Mister Six

The Realms of the Haunting demo absolutely shat me up at the time. I played it a couple of years ago and it seemed campier than I remembered, but I got absolutely slaughtered by the first enemy and sacked it off. I should probably go back and give it a proper crack.

Quote from: Lemming on March 03, 2021, 07:41:01 AM
It's been slow going recently, partially because I've been playing games as I get access to them, which has led me to have played and completed some games from 2000 (Soldier of Fortune, Star Trek Elite Force, Gunman Chronicles and No One Lives Forever).

Yessss

purlieu

Yeah hurry up Lemming, we're getting bored in here.

ProvanFan

Blue lipstick explosive was my favourite

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on March 03, 2021, 02:54:21 PM
The Realms of the Haunting demo absolutely shat me up at the time. I played it a couple of years ago and it seemed campier than I remembered, but I got absolutely slaughtered by the first enemy and sacked it off. I should probably go back and give it a proper crack.

You likely played the UK version (which is what's being sold on Steam and GOG for unfathomable reasons).  Once it's patched it to the superior North American version, the player can select the difficulty setting for both puzzles and combat separately, so you'll be a lot less likely to get slaughtered by the first enemy you encounter.  I'm playing with puzzles on hard and combat on the easiest setting and I've yet to be killed by a single enemy, 6 hours in.

Mister Six

Cheers, that sounds like a plan.

Mr Trumpet

Anyone who likes Morrowind should try the Tamriel Rebuilt mod, which adds a fuckton of new land area to the game with cities, NPCs, quests etc. All with the goal of being faithful to the aesthetic and worldbuilding of the base game. The fully completed bits currently more than double the size of the game, and there's more in the pipeline.

https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/

Disclosure: i've contributed to this project.

Lemming

^ Seconding this recommendation for anyone who's planning on revisiting Morrowind, played it a few years ago and the new content fits right into the vanilla game.

Meanwhile, the next game on my list was Hidden & Dangerous. After much deliberation and agonising, I've decided that it is not actually an FPS, unless we start counting stuff like the first few Hitman games as well. So I'm moving onto System Shock 2.

If anyone wants my mini-review of Hidden & Dangerous regardless, here it is, based on the few missions I played: I kept getting one-hit-killed from across the map while my teammates refused to obey orders. 7/10.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Lemming on March 05, 2021, 11:45:27 PM
^ Seconding this recommendation for anyone who's planning on revisiting Morrowind, played it a few years ago and the new content fits right into the vanilla game.

Meanwhile, the next game on my list was Hidden & Dangerous. After much deliberation and agonising, I've decided that it is not actually an FPS, unless we start counting stuff like the first few Hitman games as well. So I'm moving onto System Shock 2.

If anyone wants my mini-review of Hidden & Dangerous regardless, here it is, based on the few missions I played: I kept getting one-hit-killed from across the map while my teammates refused to obey orders. 7/10.

Was it the "gold" version? Because the older version is bugged as fuck. I agree it's not an fps though, it's more like an RTS where you can control the soldiers. The interface is too complex and the controls are janky but I loved it. Amazing music.

Lemming

It was called Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe. Not too many bugs as far as I could tell, I mostly got shot from miles away after accidentally revealing my position or causing a commotion. Did quite enjoy what I played of it, felt sort of like Rainbow Six with a bit more depth in some areas and a bit less in others.

Cold Meat Platter

Yeah Deluxe that was it, sorry. In the original version you would get in a boat and it was very likely you would phase through the keel and drown, for example.
The sequel is great as well.