Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

FPS NIGHTMARES

Started by Lemming, November 17, 2019, 12:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I played through Timesplitters 2 campaign and it's sort of like eating a Pot Noodle. It's just there, it doesnt really do anything and it's a bit rubbish.

Timesplitters 2 multiplayer may be the best local multiplayer shooter ever made though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Lemming on July 03, 2021, 11:33:33 AM
I remember having HotD 2 for Dreamcast and being endlessly amused by the discrepancy between where you aim the light-gun and where the bullets actually register.

Typing of the Dead is where it's at.  I'd love to see you cover that among your reviews.

Ferris

Late '90s though wasn't it? 1997 or so if memory serves, might have already missed the window.

Lemming

No problem, I'll add it to the growing list of past games to go back and check out. I was thinking about doing a couple when 2000 is done, since I've already got the first Wing Commander ready to go (albeit running at hilarious speeds on DosBox).

TheGingerAlien

Don't forget this classic wrong'un from 1995 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PO%27ed

"A version for PC was also developed, but not released."

Assume the entire dev team got sectioned or something...

The Crumb

I bought Blood yesterday after seeing it recommended in glowing terms across the internet. It's fantastic fun, although super tough at first.

I am probably committing a mortal sin by playing with a controller, but that's what my set up allows. I mean, didn't people play on just a keyboard back in the day?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: The Crumb on July 05, 2021, 12:58:35 PM
I bought Blood yesterday after seeing it recommended in glowing terms across the internet. It's fantastic fun, although super tough at first.

I am probably committing a mortal sin by playing with a controller, but that's what my set up allows. I mean, didn't people play on just a keyboard back in the day?

Mostly, although mouse play was supported as far back as Doom.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: bgmnts on July 03, 2021, 09:21:31 PM
I played through Timesplitters 2 campaign and it's sort of like eating a Pot Noodle. It's just there, it doesnt really do anything and it's a bit rubbish.

Timesplitters 2 multiplayer may be the best local multiplayer shooter ever made though.

timesplitters 2 campaign co-op was fucking mint tho

The Crumb

2 episodes down in Blood, and that difficulty curve really is something isn't it? From creeping around desperate for a life essence in the first couple of levels, to having 85 napalm launcher shots, 185 health and a full doctor's bag. The complexity of the maps scales up nicely though.

2.5d graphics are a mix of retaining a load of charm and awful, queasy weirdness. Those shark enemies are laughably bad in their implementation. Kind of makes me want to see Descent in the build engine.

Lemming

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on July 05, 2021, 10:17:34 AM
Don't forget this classic wrong'un from 1995 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PO%27ed

I'll try it with mouse control on a PS1 emulator, which worked surprisingly well for Medal of Honor.  The fact that virtually no information seems to exist on the dev team is always a promising sign!

Quote from: The Crumb on July 06, 2021, 01:18:58 PM
2 episodes down in Blood, and that difficulty curve really is something isn't it? From creeping around desperate for a life essence in the first couple of levels, to having 85 napalm launcher shots, 185 health and a full doctor's bag. The complexity of the maps scales up nicely though.

2.5d graphics are a mix of retaining a load of charm and awful, queasy weirdness. Those shark enemies are laughably bad in their implementation. Kind of makes me want to see Descent in the build engine.

Yeah, the first episode of Blood is the best, I reckon. Everything absolutely knife-edge, every cultist posing a mortal threat, and the enclosed spaces allow for so many dynamite-based fuckups. Plus the train level, which gears you up for a "LET'S FUCKING GOOO" rampage, and then turns out to be one of the hardest levels in the pack, forcing you to pitifully slink through the train at a snails' pace.

Running around with a napalm launcher and dual tommy guns for the last two episodes is basically just an extended reward for making it through episode one.

ASFTSN

Quote from: The Crumb on July 06, 2021, 01:18:58 PM

Which difficulty level are you playing on? The gillbeast (shark man) roaring sound is now stuck in my head after reading your post.

Quote from: Lemming on July 06, 2021, 01:30:22 PM
Plus the train level, which gears you up for a "LET'S FUCKING GOOO" rampage, and then turns out to be one of the hardest levels in the pack, forcing you to pitifully slink through the train at a snails' pace.

I reckon the dining car fight in that is one of the coolest bits in 90s FPSing! Not exactly a giant set piece but it's tense as fuck on higher difficulties.

Pink Gregory

I played the first episode of Blood (up to Cheogh anyway) about 7 years ago, entirely using the keyboard because I didn't know any better.

The Crumb

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 08, 2021, 05:34:01 PM
Which difficulty level are you playing on? The gillbeast (shark man) roaring sound is now stuck in my head after reading your post.
I did ep1 on the second lowest (pink on the inside?). After that been doing the custom difficulty with everything on medium/lightly broiled but the hitscanner damage down a notch.

Pink Gregory

If you'm interested in Build Engine games, Youtuber Civvie11 does a good few series on playing through Blood/Shadow Warrior on the higher difficulties (look for Pro Blood and Pro Wang)

ASFTSN

Civvie is great. One of the only bearable games people on YT.

Lemming

Small update, played Medal of Honor: Underground and Delta Force Land Warrior. Not sure I could really write a full review of either - Land Warrior is yet more Delta Force, and Underground is essentially just more Medal of Honor, although it's a much better game than the previous installment IMO.

Tried to play Catechumen, a Christian FPS, but it won't run properly on Windows 10, which is a shame. Moving on now to the legendary Project: I.G.I - I'm Going In (that's seriously the title) and then 2000 will be complete.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Lemming on July 12, 2021, 12:15:22 PM
Moving on now to the legendary Project: I.G.I - I'm Going In (that's seriously the title) and then 2000 will be complete.

Love this game. Great weapon sounds. Kind of has a Goldeneye vibe what with your character being an off-brand 007 and the camera-shooting  quasi-stealth action.

The Crumb

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 12, 2021, 02:47:16 PM
Love this game. Great weapon sounds. Kind of has a Goldeneye vibe what with your character being an off-brand 007 and the camera-shooting  quasi-stealth action.

I really enjoyed it,  but those massive levels with no saving were a pain. Gave up on one where I kept getting insta-killed by tanks or airstrikes after 10+ minutes.

H-O-W-L

Can't be fucked to quote all the posts about it but:

Manhunt and Bully are Rockstar's best games of that gen. Yes, better than the Grand Theft Autos. As good as Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2. I said it.

They're best when they AREN'T making these broad fucking do-all satire shitshows and instead doing pointed send-ups. This is also why their Warriors game was so good.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Lemming on July 12, 2021, 12:15:22 PM

. Moving on now to the legendary Project: I.G.I - I'm Going In (that's seriously the title) and then 2000 will be complete.

Also could you let me know if you find a good way to play this on windows 10 please? I always ended up with certain walls becoming see-through.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 12, 2021, 04:18:46 PM

Manhunt and Bully are Rockstar's best games of that gen. Yes, better than the Grand Theft Autos. As good as Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2. I said it.

They're best when they AREN'T making these broad fucking do-all satire shitshows and instead doing pointed send-ups. This is also why their Warriors game was so good.

Bully is a game about being a little shit with hilarious consequences.  Introduce nastiness to it and you get GTA, that's why it's so boring in comparison.  But people go for it I guess.

willbo

my brother had a copy of Catechumen and played it a bit, and it's probably still in the attic somewhere. You play a Christian soldier in ancient Rome if I remember right. I don't remember much about the gameplay but the visuals and setting were kind of original. A lot of corridors and rooms of ancient world historical looking buildings. Brutalmoose, the youtuber who reviews quirky lost media, has done a video on it which I'm sure is hilarious.

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 12, 2021, 04:18:46 PM

Yeah. Also Bully and Manhunt have reasonably well-polished gameplay mechanics at their cores, whereas the GTA games are story and character first, gameplay second.

H-O-W-L

Manhunt can play a bit fucky near the end when it all goes gunward, but the atmosphere, visuals, and score are second to none, even for a game made in 2003.

AsparagusTrevor

I found RDR2 in particular clunky as fuck, everything feels like there's a lag to it, like wading through treacle. GTAV was a bit like this, but RDR2 took it to the extreme. I suppose it's a side-effect of trying too hard to make the animation look more cinematic.

The Crumb

I finished the final 2 episodes of OG Blood levels. Very enjoyable game overall and I'm glad I played it. The atmosphere and sprite work are brilliant, the weapons feel devastating and there's some absolutely first rate levels in there. I did feel like it fell off in episodes 3 and 4, not really having anything new to show and in the case of episode 4 feeling more annoying than interesting. Really noticeable how the interactivity and reactive quips from Caleb decline after ep 1 as well (presumably shareware syndrome). Even the signature exploding environments seem to be mostly gone in episode 4.

As much as I can see the Build engine must have been great in the day, it's got some real issues for me. Platforming feels absolutely horrid, and anything involving the sprite enemies moving about 3d space (gargoyles and gillbeasts) feels a bit queasy and awful. Somehow I don't think you'd get anywhere near the combat feel with 3d enemies though.

Lemming

Feel like it's been long enough that I should mention that I am doing IGI at some point, but some (fairly mundane) REAL LIFE DRAMA has temporarily cut the amount of time available for now. Extended hiatus, but the thread will return sooner or later with the glorious eurojank masterpiece that is IGI.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 12, 2021, 05:17:35 PM
Also could you let me know if you find a good way to play this on windows 10 please? I always ended up with certain walls becoming see-through.

The version on MyAbandonware seemed to work straight out of the box, so to speak. Only problem is strange mouse jittering, but capping the framerate at 60fps seems to fix that.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 12, 2021, 05:17:35 PM

Sounds like the typical type of technical issue solved by using dgVoodoo to run the game.

purlieu

Quote from: Lemming on July 25, 2021, 03:53:58 PM
Feel like it's been long enough that I should mention that I am doing IGI at some point, but some (fairly mundane) REAL LIFE DRAMA has temporarily cut the amount of time available for now.
Quote from: St_Eddie on July 25, 2021, 04:04:54 PM
Sounds like the typical type of technical issue solved by using dgVoodoo to run the game.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Lemming on July 25, 2021, 03:53:58 PM

The version on MyAbandonware seemed to work straight out of the box, so to speak. Only problem is strange mouse jittering, but capping the framerate at 60fps seems to fix that.
Quote from: St_Eddie on July 25, 2021, 04:04:54 PM

Cheers folks.