Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gone and went vegan didn't I

Started by alan nagsworth, November 17, 2019, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Quote from: thugler on November 17, 2019, 10:33:36 PM
That was me. I make my own when i can be arsed, you can buy it pre-made as well though, i've never bothered plus is probably expensive rather than cheap as fuck.

I only make it occasionally but you can make maybe 8 steaks or 12 chicken breasts worth in about 30 minutes, and you can freeze it.

Also it's very healthy and tastes fuckin boss fried on a burger with vegan mayo and maple syrup and pecans (less healthy but you get the idea)

Beagle 2

I've been thinking we should go veggie, basically because we went a few days eating all this veggie stuff by accident, casseroles curries salads, even fruit,  and my poos were so fucking amazing, I really noticed it. Compact, firm, proud - immediate five star feedback from my arse. So I tried to introduce the idea with my wife but she got defensive like I was slagging her off for her cooking and the fact 97% of our diet is butter, so it all went wrong because I didn't want to say it was mostly about the poos, but I know I'm going to snap as she repeatedly tries to start up the argument again and end up slapping one of my perfect torpedoes on the table and saying THERE, SEE?

flotemysost

Quote from: Jockice on November 17, 2019, 05:12:42 PM
Vegan mayo can (like any type of mayo) fuck right off though.

Sriracha mayo is great if you like that sort of thing, and it's also vegan (unlike regular sriracha sauce). Can often be found in the bargain morgue at Lidl too.

Blue Jam

What's tempeh like? I like tofu but tempeh looks more like a solid block of natto, the foodstuff that's so revolting even famously adventurous eater Anthony Bourdain blanched at it. My memories of seeing colleagues eating natto in the staff canteen when I worked in Japan still make me shudder. I also noticed that many natto-eaters would keep the lid over the pot, as if they were actively trying to avoid looking at what they were eating...

I'm not veggie but I started drinking plant milk because I thought it seemed healthier, and stayed with it when I found I preferred the taste and texture. Meat substitutes can mostly fuck off though, I'd rather just eat actual vegetables cooked well.

Vegan cheese just looks utterly grim. No butter substitute is as good as butter. Vegan mayo may contain no eggs but I'm assuming it's as revolting as proper mayo so that can get to fuck too.

non capisco

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 17, 2019, 10:53:24 PM
and my poos were so fucking amazing, I really noticed it. Compact, firm, proud - immediate five star feedback from my arse.

Can confirm this is an almost immediate benefit from cutting out meat. The standard of dumps has quite frankly skyrocketed.

gib

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2019, 11:39:49 PM
What's tempeh like?

really rank except for the expensive redwood tempeh rashers which are the best veggie bacon if you crispy fry them

gib

just for balance my shit is all over the place

Blue Jam

Cheers- does tempeh also smell bad? Being downwind of someone pretending to enjoy a nice pot of natto isn't a pleasant experience.

gib

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2019, 11:44:27 PM
Cheers- does tempeh also smell bad? Being downwind of someone pretending to enjoy a nice pot of natto isn't a pleasant experience.

i guess it depends what they marinate it in. I don't know what natto is.

Blue Jam

You could Google it but I wouldn't recommend it if you've just eaten. Natto is a dish made from whole soy beans which are fermented until they develop a slimy coating that resembles mucus and they start to stink:

Quote from: Anthony Bourdain in A Cook's Tour:The Japanese love natto, an unbelievably foul, rank, slimy, glutenous, and stringy goop of fermented soybeans. It's the Vegemite of Japan, dearly loved by everyone there, for reasons no outsider can understand. There were two kinds of natto for me that morning: the traditional soy variety, and an even scarier black bean natto. If the taste wasn't bad enough, there's the texture. There's just no way to eat the stuff. I dug in my chopsticks and dragged a small bit to my mouth. Viscous long strands of mucouslike material followed, leaving numerous ugly and unmanageable strands running from my lips to the bowl. I tried severing the strands with my chopsticks, but to no avail. I tried rolling them around my sticks like recalcitrant angel hair pasta. I tried slurping them in. But there was no way. I sat there, these horrible looking strings extending from mouth to table like a spider's web, doing my best to choke them down for the attentive [chef] Mr. Komatsu. All I wanted to do now was hurl myself through the paper walls and straight off the edge of the mountain. Hopefully, a big tub of boiling bleach or lye would be waiting at the bottom for me to gargle with.

Dex Sawash

Sin Agog

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2019, 11:56:30 PM
You could Google it but I wouldn't recommend it if you've just eaten. Natto is a dish made from whole soy beans which are fermented until they develop a slimy coating that resembles mucus and they start to stink:

Quote from: Anthony Bourdain in A Cook's Tour:
The Japanese love natto, an unbelievably foul, rank, slimy, glutenous, and stringy goop of fermented soybeans. It's the Vegemite of Japan, dearly loved by everyone there, for reasons no outsider can understand. There were two kinds of natto for me that morning: the traditional soy variety, and an even scarier black bean natto. If the taste wasn't bad enough, there's the texture. There's just no way to eat the stuff. I dug in my chopsticks and dragged a small bit to my mouth. Viscous long strands of mucouslike material followed, leaving numerous ugly and unmanageable strands running from my lips to the bowl. I tried severing the strands with my chopsticks, but to no avail. I tried rolling them around my sticks like recalcitrant angel hair pasta. I tried slurping them in. But there was no way. I sat there, these horrible looking strings extending from mouth to table like a spider's web, doing my best to choke them down for the attentive [chef] Mr. Komatsu. All I wanted to do now was hurl myself through the paper walls and straight off the edge of the mountain. Hopefully, a big tub of boiling bleach or lye would be waiting at the bottom for me to gargle with.

I know how serious he could be about food, but I still think taking his own life was an overreaction.

gib

more like 'notto'

(sorry, it's late)

Sherringford Hovis

Petrol isn't vegan, it's made from dinosaurs.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 17, 2019, 07:16:45 PM
Yeah jackfruit's shit though so it doesn't count ;P

The stuffs passable tbh, not overly offensive if used to bulk out a one pot dish like chilli.

Neville Chamberlain

Good on you, nags :-)

Exquisite taste in music, vegan - can you get any sexier?!?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 18, 2019, 06:58:25 AM
Good on you, nags :-)

Exquisite taste in music, vegan - can you get any sexier?!?

Thanks Nev! Don't worry, I more than make up for it by being a horrendous drunken catastrophe.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 18, 2019, 05:54:39 AM
The stuffs passable tbh, not overly offensive if used to bulk out a one pot dish like chilli.

What's it like in a Manager's Special?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 18, 2019, 07:39:56 AM
Thanks Nev! Don't worry, I more than make up for it by being a horrendous drunken catastrophe.

Something else we have in common *swoon!*

idunnosomename

I misread that as "what are you going to give me to eat" and laughed i prefer my version

madhair60

Weird cos there's always a "what do I eat" vegan thread running haha

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What's it like in a Manager's Special?

Wouldn't you like to know

Wouldn't you fucking like to know mate

Oh yeah, you said.

What's it like?

Shit.

thugler

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2019, 11:39:49 PM
What's tempeh like? I like tofu but tempeh looks more like a solid block of natto, the foodstuff that's so revolting even famously adventurous eater Anthony Bourdain blanched at it. My memories of seeing colleagues eating natto in the staff canteen when I worked in Japan still make me shudder. I also noticed that many natto-eaters would keep the lid over the pot, as if they were actively trying to avoid looking at what they were eating...

I'm not veggie but I started drinking plant milk because I thought it seemed healthier, and stayed with it when I found I preferred the taste and texture. Meat substitutes can mostly fuck off though, I'd rather just eat actual vegetables cooked well.

Vegan cheese just looks utterly grim. No butter substitute is as good as butter. Vegan mayo may contain no eggs but I'm assuming it's as revolting as proper mayo so that can get to fuck too.

Tempeh is alright, bit firmer than tofu, has a distinctive flavour (you may like /hate this) that you can remove easily by dropping in boiling water for a couple of minutes before cooking. Takes on flavours well, so you can marinade it. Is a bit expensive to buy though, haven't tried making it but i imagine it's possible.

thenoise

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 17, 2019, 04:01:12 PM
My biggest concern going into this was the every day activities I cherish so much like smoking weed and rimming, are they vegan? Can I still do those? And it turns out after a couple of hours of researching I've learned that yes, I can, it's totally fine! One website even suggested I "fill my boots", so long as the boots weren't leather and instead were made of some sort of plant-based substitute like banana peels. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the good of the planet.

Rimming is good for your gut bacteria, probably, and is also essential in maintaining the breeding habits of threadworm. Which aren't an endangered species, but probably deserving of love too.

thenoise

I'm vegetarian and I make vague attempts to keep milk/dairy for occasions only - dash in my coffee every day but save the cheese for the weekends. It's a bit harder since getting married as my wife is absolutely yogurt mad, eats it three times a day. I'll try and wean her onto the coconut stuff, which I love.

Eating your own chicken's eggs is problematic as whoever you bought them off probably put all the male chicks into a mincing bin as soon as they are born. I'm afraid I eat quite a lot of eggs, I don't think there is any kind of 'alternative' (scrambled tofu is nice but it do any really scratch the itch). Plus I absolutely love figs.

Pink Gregory

thenoise do you use black salt and turmeric in it?  Obvs. it is a different thing but the sulphurous salt puts you in mind of yon eggies.

Dex Sawash

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The blue represents the calm, Zen like nature of their souls.

Pink Gregory