Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extra Ordinary (2019)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 17, 2019, 07:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This is a fairly unique supernatural affair set in a small town in Ireland where local driving instructor Rose (Maeve Higgins) can communicate with ghosts, but doesn't want to put her powers to use as she killed her Dad by accident years ago. But when US singer and one hit wonder Christian Winter (Will Forte) tries to do a deal with the devil which involves the daughter of a guy she likes called Martin Martin (Barry Ward) she's dragged back in to that world, and bizarreness ensues. It moves at a decent pace, the cast are all great, it mixes the supernatural with the mundane in a really fun manner, has a cute, quirky sense of humour, and is very likeable in general and I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. 7.5/10

magval

Hated the baddies and the forced American LAD humour ("no anal" and "only the tip went in", particularly) but Maeve's gas in it. Aye, 4 out of 10 from me. Sweet film but middlin.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: magval on November 18, 2019, 07:30:34 PM
Hated the baddies and the forced American LAD humour ("no anal" and "only the tip went in", particularly) but Maeve's gas in it. Aye, 4 out of 10 from me. Sweet film but middlin.

The "No Anal" bit was weak but "Only the tip went in" made me laugh hard given the context and who said it. I can understand not liking Will Forte though as he's someone who rubs people up the wrong way a fair bit (and I struggled with him in The Last Man On Earth) but quite liked him in this.

DukeDeMondo

The Film Theatre I volunteer with these days put this on last week - or the week before, maybe - and I thought it was an absolute fucking joy and so did everybody else, as far as I could tell. Everyone I talked to afterwards loved it. I got a very strong Taika Waititi vibe off it at times. Parts of it reminded me of Day Of The Beast, too, in an odd sort of way. Also recalled the first time I saw In Bruges. Very little correlation between the two films, mind you. But that same sense of excitement and discovery and unearned pride thumping through my Irish guts. Near singing "The Soldier's Song" on the way out. The reviews proclaiming it the best comedy of the year and what not are maybe not far wrong (I haven't seen enough other 2019 comedy films to say whether they're right one way or the other).

A rare 100% on Rotten Tomatoes too.

Sorry, I can't stop talking like I was doing on social media when I was trying to get folk to come see it.

It's great. A fantastic side effect of my current meds is that I have the short term memory of a milk carton, but I remember enjoying this tremendously. And I'll get to experience it all anew next time I see it, which will be soon, I hope.

"I kick arse for The Lord!" Definitely got a whiff of that off it at times, an all.

Saw Maeve Higgins do a comedy hour in a very small room in Edinburgh years ago. She had a few nightmare punters, coped with them really well and was generally great, I thought. I was unaware of her rise to "film lead" status, but am very happy to see her success. Been Googling around to try to find where I can see this (south coast) but have drawn a blank. Is it still London-only at the moment?

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on November 19, 2019, 08:34:54 PM
Is it still London-only at the moment?

We screened it on the North Coast of Northern Ireland, so it's doing the rounds. The distributor told us they were touring it. I dunno if that meant taking it round Ireland or crossing the water or what the fuck.

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on November 19, 2019, 08:36:30 PM
We screened it on the North Coast of Northern Ireland, so it's doing the rounds. The distributor told us they were touring it. I dunno if that meant taking it round Ireland or crossing the water or what the fuck.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on November 19, 2019, 08:27:39 PM
The Film Theatre I volunteer with these days put this on last week - or the week before, maybe - and I thought it was an absolute fucking joy and so did everybody else, as far as I could tell. Everyone I talked to afterwards loved it. I got a very strong Taika Waititi vibe off it at times. Parts of it reminded me of Day Of The Beast, too, in an odd sort of way. Also recalled the first time I saw In Bruges. Very little correlation between the two films, mind you. But that same sense of excitement and discovery and unearned pride thumping through my Irish guts. Near singing "The Soldier's Song" on the way out. The reviews proclaiming it the best comedy of the year and what not are maybe not far wrong (I haven't seen enough other 2019 comedy films to say whether they're right one way or the other).

A rare 100% on Rotten Tomatoes too.

Sorry, I can't stop talking like I was doing on social media when I was trying to get folk to come see it.

It's great. A fantastic side effect of my current meds is that I have the short term memory of a milk carton, but I remember enjoying this tremendously. And I'll get to experience it all anew next time I see it, which will be soon, I hope.

"I kick arse for The Lord!" Definitely got a whiff of that off it at times, an all.

Really glad you enjoyed it good sir, after magval's response I was wondering if I was overrating it for some reason, but it's now clear he should be burnt at the stake. And my only real complaint is that I wish we could have seen more of the old videos, the line "Even the weakest ghost can possess cheese quite easily" absolutely slayed me.

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on November 19, 2019, 08:34:54 PM
Saw Maeve Higgins do a comedy hour in a very small room in Edinburgh years ago. She had a few nightmare punters, coped with them really well and was generally great, I thought. I was unaware of her rise to "film lead" status, but am very happy to see her success. Been Googling around to try to find where I can see this (south coast) but have drawn a blank. Is it still London-only at the moment?

It's also "Available" on your dodgy torrenting sites, but I can completely understand why you'd like to support it financially if you can.

Icehaven

Just watched this on Netflix yesterday and loved it. "A gravel" and the levitating grape got the biggest laughs in our house, so yeah more of the old films would have been welcome, but it was still great. Agree with the Taika Waititi comparisons too, defo reminded me of "What We Do...".

steveh

Wouldn't normally go for a Will Forte film but thought this was great.