Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,314
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:44:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Avenue 5 - Iannucci, HBO

Started by Mobius, November 18, 2019, 05:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

Quote from: olliebean on December 16, 2019, 06:29:04 PM
A couple more trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4RVIMbCPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD66KWwFBNA

The second one is mostly bits we've seen in the previous trailers, but the first one is entirely new.
Definite IT Crowd vibes. Next year we'll see Armando going crazy over allegations of cultural appropriation. 

typeforty

I found the trailers funny*. Sorry.

*the phone number joke *was* hack though.

Twit 2

How old is Iannucci? Be nice if he could quietly slip into a coma this Christmas and never wake up.

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 17, 2019, 07:11:58 AM
How old is Iannucci? Be nice if he could quietly slip into a coma this Christmas and never wake up.

Hello Hugh, what do you remember about satire?

ajsmith2

Quote from: Zetetic on January 09, 2020, 10:11:24 PM
Not better.

I thought it was a wee bit better than the other clips, or funnier anyway. Still didn't look that exciting though, we've seen all these kind of beats and gag types before. This'll probably look really dated In 2025 if it doesn't already.

alan nagsworth

The VR headset bit: the character is seeing a grotesque thing that we can't see, and he's giving a detailed description of it in a confused and terrified way! That is fantastically original writing that certainly must have required a wildly creative mind. "Talons" hahaha how do they come up with this stuff

Dewt

Very, very bad.

I'm not fussy about "why would this promotional video not have all the awkward stuff that undermines it edited out, this isn't realistic" kind-of stuff in general, but when the jokes are such standard writing-room stuff it is an absolute fucking travesty.

Mister Six

Quote from: olliebean on December 16, 2019, 06:29:04 PM
A couple more trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4RVIMbCPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD66KWwFBNA

The second one is mostly bits we've seen in the previous trailers, but the first one is entirely new.

The Judd Galaxy one won me over a bit. The others haven't done much for me, but that gave me a little hope.

Is everyone here primed for Armando to fail now he's gone a bit centrist?

Dewt

olliebean

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 10, 2020, 08:33:20 PM
The VR headset bit: the character is seeing a grotesque thing that we can't see, and he's giving a detailed description of it in a confused and terrified way! That is fantastically original writing that certainly must have required a wildly creative mind. "Talons" hahaha how do they come up with this stuff

And his eyes are half out of the bloody visor.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Mister Six on January 10, 2020, 09:14:41 PM
Is everyone here primed for Armando to fail now he's gone a bit centrist?
Yep, but its not gonna cloud my enjoyment of something good if it comes from him.

Veep was fine but it really felt quite anonymous to me. Death of Stalin was a bit better, might be due a rewatch. Other than that, what's the last thing he's done? The Comedy Vehicle interview bits?

I think maybe his lack of activity in recent years has maybe exposed him a bit? Like, his talent was in getting great people together to work on a project and the focus has been a lot more on him specifically (maybe a necessity for funding reasons?) since leaving the BBC with not much of an identity coming out of it. Meanwhile Coogan goes off with Partridge to do great stuff without him, and Jesse Armstrong puts out a show that feels far closer to the best parts of the Thick of It than Veep ever has...

olliebean

His David Copperfield is out in a couple of weeks. Probably won't be as good as Death of Stalin, but looks worth a watch anyway.

idunnosomename

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 10, 2020, 08:13:50 AM
Hello Hugh, what do you remember about satire?
Back in the day. We all used to assemble at our local library. To make fun of our current government. Down with Brown! We'd say. Wasn't a patch on Blair. Only one eye! *Armando nods*
To be honest, I think it was him who offed Maddie. Poor little mite. But he did it to save face for the liberal Islington paedo elite who propped up his globalist regime.

pancreas

oh god.

The AI Shows. How can this be the same person? I would ask to be destroyed before I were turned into this refuse.

Quote from: Dewt on January 10, 2020, 09:15:27 PM
Yeah, fuck him.

Mobius

Can't believe how shit this looks tbh. Iannucci has lost it

Nowhere Man

Fucking dreadful. Putting becoming a centrist ballbag aside, America was the worst thing that ever happened to Iannucci's career.

Urinal Cake

There are no good collaborators in America. I feel this was concocted through a commitee and audience surveys. Make it like Futurama but not as weird. Like the IT Crowd but not as English. Or IT.

Urinal Cake

Something seems off about his American work. I presume it was because he couldn't find anyone he could really felt with.

Mobius

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Mobius on January 15, 2020, 10:16:16 AM
Veep is brilliant

Veep was better than The Thick of It and I'm willing to get into fist fights over this.

ajsmith2

I'd like Armando to star in a dramady about Peter Molyneux.

Leo2112

Surprisingly I think Veep got better after Iannucci left, which probably isn't a popular opinion.

Armin Meiwes

Couldn't get on with Veep, watched like 3 eps but it was all just constant #bantz humour, every line was just each character taking it in turns to out zinger everyone else which can be v wearing and a bit boring after a while. IMO!

chveik

Quote from: Leo2112 on January 15, 2020, 02:38:10 PM
Surprisingly I think Veep got better after Iannucci left, which probably isn't a popular opinion.

yep me too.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Leo2112 on January 15, 2020, 02:38:10 PM

That show was enjoyable all the way through. Great time of writers and a cast with excellent chemistry.