Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:52:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avenue 5 - Iannucci, HBO

Started by Mobius, November 18, 2019, 05:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JumpAction

I'll give it a try. The trailer didn't quite click with me but who knows? It could be funny in full context.

I saw my first trailer for this earlier. Too early to judge obviously but god it looks awful. The whole gags appeared to be that the 'advert' showed images from everyday life because the spaceship wasn't ready yet...because it was going to be so good!

My favourite bit of Iannucci is that bloke nailing himself to a cabinet he's trying to build then being too proud to ask for help. I don't expect I'll be treated to such glorious comedy with this vanilla shite.

Bazooka

Armando:  Hello Hugh, what do you think to my new tv show?

Hugh: Looks awful, jokes had to be funny in the war.

Captain Z

No good has ever come out of anyone going to America.

Mobius

Watched the first half of the first episode and it was really bad. I just can't believe Iannucci wrote this.

Maybe it'll improve but I just can't see it. Really unfunny. The space setting seems arbitrary, and the whole colour scheme/aesthetic is unpleasant

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mobius on January 20, 2020, 06:31:52 AM
Watched the first half of the first episode and it was really bad. I just can't believe Iannucci wrote this.

Maybe it'll improve but I just can't see it. Really unfunny. The space setting seems arbitrary, and the whole colour scheme/aesthetic is unpleasant

People on here have too much optimism "maybe it'll improve", when has that ever happened...?

brat-sampson

Across one season, not so much*, but plenty of shows have improved dramatically over a couple of years when the writers get a better handle on their characters. I'm probably going to ignore this for now, but there's always a chance.

*with exceptions, I'm sure 'it gets better!' is a hefty list over at tvtropes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: brat-sampson on January 20, 2020, 06:53:53 AM
Across one season, not so much*, but plenty of shows have improved dramatically over a couple of years when the writers get a better handle on their characters. I'm probably going to ignore this for now, but there's always a chance.

*with exceptions, I'm sure 'it gets better!' is a hefty list over at tvtropes.

I know. It was tongue in cheek. But this...this needs to turn into time trumpet or im done

Jumblegraws

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 20, 2020, 06:45:40 AM
People on here have too much optimism "maybe it'll improve", when has that ever happened...?
Happens all the time with American sitcoms in my experience. There's a consensus amongst professional critics that Bojack Horseman improved vastly across its first season.
EDIT: Totally went over my head that you were being tongue-in-cheek.

Urinal Cake

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 20, 2020, 07:38:15 AM
Happens all the time with American sitcoms in my experience. There's a consensus amongst professional critics that Bojack Horseman improved vastly across its first season.
EDIT: Totally went over my head that you were being tongue-in-cheek.

sorry, I should have been more explicit...much like this show

JumpAction

It's not getting the same love Iannucci projects typically get. I haven't seen it for myself yet.

Is it as bad as the trailer made it seem?

olliebean

Is episode 1 the pilot, do we know? Often series that use the pilot for episode 1 improve dramatically in episode 2, when lessons have been learned.

BlodwynPig

Lesson - make more time trumpet and less vacuous liberal american wank fodder

Captain Z

Quote from: olliebean on January 20, 2020, 10:57:00 AM
Is episode 1 the pilot, do we know?

Nah I think episode 1 is the passengers.

Small Man Big Horse

I quite liked it. It's not hilarious by any means and definitely needs to up it's game, but now the story's been set up and the pieces are in place it shows a lot of potential. Plus Zach Woods is once again superb, I love that strange little fella.

JumpAction

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 20, 2020, 11:23:05 AM
I quite liked it. It's not hilarious by any means and definitely needs to up it's game, but now the story's been set up and the pieces are in place it shows a lot of potential. Plus Zach Woods is once again superb, I love that strange little fella.

I've only ever seen him in The Office but he appears to be popping up everywhere these days. I know Silicon Valley has quite a big following, at least...

Ferris

Looks ropey. Hugh's US accent is very offputting.

Not got high hopes.

up_the_hampipe

I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. Some good dialogue, couple of laugh-out-loud lines, I'm intrigued by the plot too. I was worried it would try too hard to mimic Veep, but it seems like enough of its own thing. Zach Woods continues to be brilliant.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 20, 2020, 06:47:56 PM
Hugh's US accent is very offputting.

In regards to this, it's worth watching the first episode, that's all I'll say.

Dewt

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 20, 2020, 08:04:51 PM
I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. Some good dialogue, couple of laugh-out-loud lines, I'm intrigued by the plot too. I was worried it would try too hard to mimic Veep, but it seems like enough of its own thing. Zach Woods continues to be brilliant.
I watched it and this is objectively wrong. It's worse than the trailer. It absolutely is the (oddly deleted?) tweet I posted earlier with the woman doing "this is every joke in every movie now" thing. All the way through. Terrible. This is not subjective, it is absolute fact that this is donkey shit.

chveik

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 15, 2020, 09:43:31 AM
Something seems off about his American work. I presume it was because he couldn't find anyone he could really felt with.

most of the thick of it writers are involved in this, except Jesse Armstrong.

and yeah it's shite. Zach Woods has a few mildly amusing lines, not sure that's enough to make him brilliant here. nice to see Marissa Wompler though

how many episodes are there supposed to be?

Dewt

I bet it was a fucking nightmare and the network ruined it to fuck. There's no way that writing team would come up with something this bad if left alone

Mobius

Quote from: chveik on January 21, 2020, 02:50:58 AM
nice to see Marissa Wompler though

That was my favourite bit.

Then Rebecca Front did an American accent and that was it for me.

JumpAction

This isn't airing anywhere in the UK yet, is it?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Dewt on January 21, 2020, 12:00:25 AM
I watched it and this is objectively wrong. It's worse than the trailer. It absolutely is the (oddly deleted?) tweet I posted earlier with the woman doing "this is every joke in every movie now" thing. All the way through. Terrible. This is not subjective, it is absolute fact that this is donkey shit.

I know the tweet you're referencing and not really no. I hope you get lost in space.

niat

Quote from: JumpAction on January 21, 2020, 10:23:03 AM
This isn't airing anywhere in the UK yet, is it?

It's on Sky One tomorrow night.

JumpAction

Thanks for the heads up, niat! <3

Alberon

Quote from: olliebean on January 20, 2020, 10:57:00 AM
Is episode 1 the pilot, do we know? Often series that use the pilot for episode 1 improve dramatically in episode 2, when lessons have been learned.

I read an American review online where the reviewer said they'd seen the first two episodes. They were quite negative and mentioned no improvement in the quality. I'll try and find it later.

Dewt

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 21, 2020, 10:23:15 AM
I know the tweet you're referencing and not really no. I hope you get lost in space.
The others are going to watch it and then you'll get learned

Bazooka

Eh, jokes just don't land, or rather the tone seems flat and doesn't elevate any of the gags. There are jokes in there that are very Iannuci, and him saying them not on a spaceship would work far better.