Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:49:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Not being able to correct someone because you'll sound like a know-it-all wanker

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 18, 2019, 01:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I was on a visit with my manager the other day and we were talking about Nick Cave. She said that she really liked the song 'Into My Arms' and then told me that he'd written about his son dying. Fuck. I hate it when that happens. Recently bumped in to some friends and we were talking about a different musician and they told me that they'd covered the song White Horses "from the original Belle & Sebastian TV series". How do you cope with this? Just nod and let it pass or tell them kindly that they're wrong. Thing is, people don't take well to being corrected so they're going to think you're a wanker. Even if you go "Of, I thought it was xxx", they'll still be able to tell you think you know better than them. Obviously, with political talk and when they're spouting bollocks, it's useful to point out that they're mistaken but it's not so easy with general facts. What is it ok to correct people on and what's a no-no?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Buelligan

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 18, 2019, 01:38:27 PM
I was on a visit with my manager the other day and we were talking about Nick Cave. She said that she really liked the song 'Into My Arms' and then told me that he'd written about his son dying. Fuck. I hate it when that happens. Recently bumped in to some friends and we were talking about a different musician and they told me that they'd covered the song White Horses "from the original Belle & Sebastian TV series". How do you cope with this? Just nod and let it pass or tell them kindly that they're wrong. Thing is, people don't take well to being corrected so they're going to think you're a wanker. Even if you go "Of, I thought it was xxx", they'll still be able to tell you think you know better than them. Obviously, with political talk and when they're spouting bollocks, it's useful to point out that they're mistaken but it's not so easy with general facts. What is it ok to correct people on and what's a no-no?

Heheh, like little errors in a piece of text, that sort of thing?  I have been known to PM people who've used words (IMO) incorrectly, just to let them know how disappointed I am.  I am not even lying.

On the other stuff, it depends how well I know/like them.  If it's someone I don't give a toss about, I pretty much let them fill their boots (might even add some embellishments for my own amusement).  If I like them loads, I usually gently correct because I hate the idea of them embarrassing themselves in front of some cunt who hates them and will add little decorations to their accidental foolishness for their own evil pleasure.  If I don't care either way, I'm probably not paying enough attention to what they're saying to know whether it's bollocks or no.

famethrowa

A bloke I know, a fellow musician has twice attempted a reference about a period of silence and says it should be composed by Philip Glass. Everyone else ignores it but I'm ragin, he obviously is trying to reference John Cage but I'm just going to seem a pedantic killjoy if I try and right the wrong.

madhair60

Had this the other night with audiobook cunt. "The Wizard of Oz was the first film ever in colour" No mate it definitely wasn't. "IT WAS. YOU'RE JUST ARGUING WITH FACTS NOW." No mate I will reasonably guess that it may have been the first technicolour film but that's it. Cunt. Anyway yeah I immediately shut that down so completely not in the spirit of the thread soz.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Reminding my brother over and over and over and over again that the show was called Peep Show not The Peep Show was trivial, pedantic and unnecessary yet probably the most morally justified correction in human history.

Buelligan

Quote from: famethrowa on November 18, 2019, 01:49:10 PM
A bloke I know, a fellow musician has twice attempted a reference about a period of silence and says it should be composed by Philip Glass. Everyone else ignores it but I'm ragin, he obviously is trying to reference John Cage but I'm just going to seem a pedantic killjoy if I try and right the wrong.

Fucking hell man, you've just reminded me of the time I was polishing someone's floors (lovely bit of African hardwood) on my hands and knees, the old classical music radio station playing in the background.  Master comes in an comments on the music, wondering who the composer is, I look up and say hmmm, sounds like Philip Glass to me.  He shook his head, no, not Philip Glass, nothing like him, he actually looked down and smirked, he might as well have patted me on the head and told me I was a funny old doggie-woggie. 

Short time later, happily he was still present, announcer says And that was composed by Philip Glass in...  Nice.

I am a know-it-all-wanker, not all the time, who can be?  But I try very hard.

madhair60

Buelligan

Or that he hates me and was enjoying confirming the wrong idea I had, just so's he could laugh at me across the airwaves from his Parisian studio.  As if I haven't been humiliated enough already.

gib

Quote from: madhair60 on November 18, 2019, 01:49:15 PM
Had this the other night with audiobook cunt. "The Wizard of Oz was the first film ever in colour" No mate it definitely wasn't. "IT WAS. YOU'RE JUST ARGUING WITH FACTS NOW." No mate I will reasonably guess that it may have been the first technicolour film but that's it. Cunt. Anyway yeah I immediately shut that down so completely not in the spirit of the thread soz.

Quote from: wikipedia, no lessThe Toll of the Sea, which debuted on November 26, 1922, used Process 2 and was the first general-release film in Technicolor, ACTUALLY

Small Man Big Horse

I just send them a polite, anonymous letter in the post. Costs me a fortune in stamps but it's fucking worth it.

famethrowa

A singer I know was talking up Carole King recently, and touting her greatest achievement as being "man..she wrote a song for the Beatles!". Well, not really. I doubt La King had heard of the Fabs when she wrote Chains or the other one, but how can I say?

alan nagsworth

Less pedantic and more morally righteous, but I have had a couple of occasions where I've had to bite my tongue around my colleague, the only other person in my very small department, who has on one occasion made a very dated remark about trans people, and this morning warned me about going out to visit a particular area of Greenwich, because of an issue with robberies in the area committed by "gypsies".

Now she is a nice person and we get on very well, but my issue lies with the fact that in a very large company she is by a country mile the closest person to me and the one with whom I communicate every day. She's also in her mid 60s. Very difficult to pull someone up about that stuff when they are quite clearly set in their ways, especially when I don't want to jeopardise the best workplace friendship I have and tarnish a working relationship which at the moment is solid, as she thinks I'm great and is cheering me on for all manner of promotions and success and the like.

BUT SAYING "GYPSIES" IS NOT OKAY

Buelligan

Quote from: Buelligan on November 18, 2019, 01:56:18 PM
Short time later, happily he was still present, announcer says And that was composed by Philip Glass in...  Nice.

Lovely

Icehaven

In a comments thread under an article about Friends, someone with the username Shed7 claimed on the night the last episode was broadcast in the UK, a large bunch of students had marched into the pub he was in in Manchester and demanded the landlord put the TV in the backroom on so they could all watch it. When he declined because they had a band due to play, they all apparently flounced out. Someone jokingly asked if it was Shed 7 playing by any chance, but they replied it was actually Mansun. First of all Mansun split up the year before the last episode of Friends so there was no way it was, and secondly even though they'd probably passed their peak popularity by the time they split they'd still have been considerably beyond playing pub back rooms. Unless it was some secret gig by Paul Draper, although that's unlikely by all accounts. Anyway I didn't have the heart to question it as they've probably just misremembered, or maybe just made the whole thing up, but it still bugged me. 

And I've mentioned this before but I used to work with someone who thought 'scatological' was the longer version of 'scatty', so would say ''I'm being a bit scatological today'' when she meant she was being a bit forgetful. First time she did it I'd not woked there long so didn't really feel I could correct her, and then of course it's too late if you've let it pass once, like when someone gets your name wrong.

Blinder Data

Just say "Wasn't it XXXXX instead? Yeah, I think so because XXXXX". Say the first part slightly uncertain before committing for the second. Straightaway you have 'em by the jaffers.

An absolute massive wankers conversation at work about kids TV which inevitably got onto the "they used to smuggle all sorts of rude stuff onto kids TV before PC took over" and them going into "examples" like the Rainbow "1 skin, 2 skin" skit and that all of the character names in Pugwash were all filthy innuendos like Roger the Cabin Boy and Seaman Staines. Everyone all buying into the group delusion so no point even arguing. Apparently, in the original French version of the Magic Roundabout, Dylan actually regularly smoked a spliff and there was a Morph short in an episode of Take Hart where Chas has an erection. Fucks sake.

This conversation was the inspiration for that H.S. Art thread I made about Pugwash.

Maybe he meant Jafar, the villain from Disney's animated classic, Aladdin.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Buelligan on November 18, 2019, 01:47:15 PM
Heheh, like little errors in a piece of text, that sort of thing?  I have been known to PM people who've used words (IMO) incorrectly, just to let them know how disappointed I am.

STOP being annoying.

Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2018, 09:53:20 AM
It's not my place to fight other peoples' corners
Quote from: Buelligan on October 22, 2019, 09:51:02 AM
Are they doing it because they want their kids or other peoples' kids to die?
Quote from: Buelligan on October 22, 2019, 11:59:45 AMit's often done in a top down, you're harming your kids and other peoples' waggy finger way.
Quote from: Buelligan on January 11, 2019, 04:07:53 PM
Hardly an indication that peoples' votes were not swayed