Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:59:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not being able to correct someone because you'll sound like a know-it-all wanker

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 18, 2019, 01:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 18, 2019, 04:41:46 PM
Maybe he meant Jafar, the villain from Disney's animated classic, Aladdin.

I never thought of that. It makes the most sense in that context.

bigfatheart

A few years ago, a co-worker mentioned that Caroline Quentin had played Mrs Merton. When I said it was Caroline Aherne, she said no, it was definitely Caroline Quentin, and the reason she was called Mrs Merton was because it was when she was married to Paul Merton.

I mean, even though she was talking bollocks, she had such a cast-iron logic behind that bollocks that I couldn't bring myself to stick with it. Short of getting Wikipedia on my phone and going 'No, see, it was Caroline Aherne', what could I actually do?

Brundle-Fly

I still feel bad that I once informed a younger co-worker that her new favourite band, Candy Flip did not write Strawberry Fields Forever and that it was originally by the smelly old Beatles. The crestfallen expression on her little face continues to haunt me thirty years later.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 18, 2019, 05:36:14 PM
I still feel bad that I once informed a younger co-worker that her new favourite band, Candy Flip did not write Strawberry Fields Forever and that it was originally by the smelly old Beatles. The crestfallen expression on her little face continues to haunt me thirty years later.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 18, 2019, 02:52:39 PM
An absolute massive wankers conversation at work about kids TV which inevitably got onto the "they used to smuggle all sorts of rude stuff onto kids TV before PC took over"

The most annoying thing about this, that you should definitely have corrected them on, is that it [even though it wasn't actually a thing] was nothing to do with PC taking over. As if the PC brigade wouldn't want to smuggle filth into kids' TV.

Quote from: bigfatheart on November 18, 2019, 05:24:18 PM
A few years ago, a co-worker mentioned that Caroline Quentin had played Mrs Merton. When I said it was Caroline Aherne, she said no, it was definitely Caroline Quentin, and the reason she was called Mrs Merton was because it was when she was married to Paul Merton.

I used to think this, but somebody corrected me. I didn't argue with them though.

Icehaven

Quote from: bigfatheart on November 18, 2019, 05:24:18 PM

I mean, even though she was talking bollocks, she had such a cast-iron logic behind that bollocks that I couldn't bring myself to stick with it. Short of getting Wikipedia on my phone and going 'No, see, it was Caroline Aherne', what could I actually do?

I'm slightly impressed that they knew Caroline Quentin used to be married to Paul Merton but still got the rest so glaringly wrong.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: icehaven on November 18, 2019, 07:38:59 PM
I'm slightly impressed that they knew Caroline Quentin used to be married to Paul Merton but still got the rest so glaringly wrong.

No, I'll think you'll find Caroline was married to Chris Quentin who played Brian Tilsley in Coronation Street a reporter in Robocop 2. and currently works in a managerial capacity at Stringfellows in London.

holyzombiejesus

I was at a friend's house once and her brother was playing chess with a flatmate. I noticed they had the board the wrong way round and pointed this out, but they denied that it was possible to have the board the wrong way round until I showed them having the black square in the bottom right corner changed the placing of the queen and king, so any openings they'd learned wouldn't work. They fucking rolled their eyes at me, the thick cheeky cunts. That's another thing that happens when you point something out and then prove it; people roll their eyes at you or mock you just to cover up their own stupidity.

beanheadmcginty

Chess boards have a right and wrong way round? Well I've learnt something new today.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 18, 2019, 08:08:38 PM
No, I'll think you'll find Caroline was married to Chris Quentin who played Brian Tilsley in Coronation Street a reporter in Robocop 2. and currently works in a managerial capacity at Stringfellows in London.

Ha! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Chris Quentin was married to Quentin Crisp (who played Stan Ogden in Crossroads). 

Stan Ogden was played by Bernard Youens.

Ferris

I correct 'em every single time. You only get one go throug in this life, not going to spend it listening to idiots getting things wrong.

I'll do it in a nice way (usually).

SteveDave

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 18, 2019, 08:08:38 PM

Whilst double-checking that he was in RobotCop 2, I also discovered this fact:

QuoteOn June 10th 2019, Quinten got engaged to his lap dancer girlfriend, Robyn Delabarre, on her 21st brithday.

He's 62. And it's "brithday" on wikipedia.

Christmas Day

popcorn

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 18, 2019, 05:36:14 PM
I still feel bad that I once informed a younger co-worker that her new favourite band, Candy Flip did not write Strawberry Fields Forever and that it was originally by the smelly old Beatles.

I have to restrain myself here on a regular basis when I see people using italics for song titles. That has never been in anyone's style guide. You use italics (if you're going to use them at all) for the titles of works like films, albums and novels, but not shorter things like songs, poems or short stories, which instead use quotation marks, if you're going to do that.

Of course the entire practice of marking up titles is old-fashioned and unnecessary but HEY.

Dex Sawash

The boss' son (who is the boss now) thinks the song Californication is CaliforniAcation and can not be corrected.
" If you watch the video it's obvious that it is CaliforniAcation"
He can't read fast enough to pick up the song title at the ends of the video.

mrpupkin

I Fought the Law isn't by Judas Priest, guy I worked with at RBS nearly fifteen years ago. You're thinking of Breaking the Law.

That felt surprisingly good. Maybe this is what I've needed to let go of all these years.

Jockice

And on a similar note, Blur's debut single was not There's No Other Way. Nor are they Cockneys.

Johnboy

I'm reminded of Gary Moore's story about him asking George Harrison to show him the opening chord of A Hard Day's Night

George shows it to him and Gary goes " oh, are you sure, is it not "this other" way?"  then realises what he's said and wanting the ground to open up and George gently saying, "yeees, I think so"

There is no way of ever knowing that what George showed him that day was exactly the right chord but you've got to assume George had it right

popcorn

Quote from: Johnboy on November 19, 2019, 03:57:47 PM
I'm reminded of Gary Moore's story about him asking George Harrison to show him the opening chord of A Hard Day's Night

George shows it to him and Gary goes " oh, are you sure, is it not "this other" way?"  then realises what he's said and wanting the ground to open up and George gently saying, "yeees, I think so"

There is no way of ever knowing that what George showed him that day was exactly the right chord but you've got to assume George had it right

Sometimes fans do know better than the artists though. There's a horribly embarrassing interview with Ed O'Brien from Radiohead, interviewed with the guy who runs a Radiohead fansite, and there's lots of moments where Ed says Radiohead went into a studio on such and such date and the fan goes "Oh, are you sure? Wasn't it actually this other date?" and Ed eventually gets a bit cheesed off with him. But the thing is, the fan was probably right, because to the fan it's life-or-death stuff (and he has all the supporting evidence and documents) and to Ed it was just a Tuesday in 2002.

Jumblegraws

Urban myths recited as truth is annoying but the one I can't resist correcting is when people repeat the BULLSHIT claim that Santa Claus wasn't depicted in red until Coca-Cola used him in their advertising.

Misidentification of animated films as Disney productions also upsets me. Don Bluth's Anastasia is a recurring victim.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

The recurring victim was me being made to watch it by an old girlfriend.

Quote from: popcorn on November 19, 2019, 04:12:03 PM
Sometimes fans do know better than the artists though. There's a horribly embarrassing interview with Ed O'Brien from Radiohead, interviewed with the guy who runs a Radiohead fansite, and there's lots of moments where Ed says Radiohead went into a studio on such and such date and the fan goes "Oh, are you sure? Wasn't it actually this other date?" and Ed eventually gets a bit cheesed off with him. But the thing is, the fan was probably right, because to the fan it's life-or-death stuff (and he has all the supporting evidence and documents) and to Ed it was just a Tuesday in 2002.

Compared to Thom Yorke, Ed O'Brien seems like the kind of guy you would really need to put some effort in to piss off, that sounds excruciating but entirely believable of a mega fan, that need to show you know them inside out overriding anything else.

It's like being at a Q+A , there's always one smartarse who spends their time making it clear they're an absolute expert rather than really asking a question.

Andy147

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 18, 2019, 08:10:22 PM
I was at a friend's house once and her brother was playing chess with a flatmate. I noticed they had the board the wrong way round and pointed this out, but they denied that it was possible to have the board the wrong way round until I showed them having the black square in the bottom right corner changed the placing of the queen and king, so any openings they'd learned wouldn't work. They fucking rolled their eyes at me, the thick cheeky cunts. That's another thing that happens when you point something out and then prove it; people roll their eyes at you or mock you just to cover up their own stupidity.

Why do you think openings wouldn't work? They'd just be reflected in the line between the d and e files. (Or you could ignore the rule about the queen going on its own colour. Or Black could move first).

gib

none of the openings work by the time i'm finished with 'em, right Andy, eh, eh

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Andy147 on November 19, 2019, 11:54:16 PM
Why do you think openings wouldn't work? They'd just be reflected in the line between the d and e files. (Or you could ignore the rule about the queen going on its own colour. Or Black could move first).

Well, of course. But you'd need to be aware that the board was set up incorrectly to change the openings. And why make all those changes rather than just do the thing properly to start with?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on November 19, 2019, 12:44:41 PM
And on a similar note, Blur's debut single was not There's No Other Way. Nor are they Cockneys.

The irony is that so-called King Mockney, Damon Albarn was born in Mile End in the sound of Bow bells which makes him a Cockney.