Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not being able to correct someone because you'll sound like a know-it-all wanker

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 18, 2019, 01:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: popcorn on November 19, 2019, 09:56:02 AM
I have to restrain myself here on a regular basis when I see people using italics for song titles. That has never been in anyone's style guide. You use italics (if you're going to use them at all) for the titles of works like films, albums and novels, but not shorter things like songs, poems or short stories, which instead use quotation marks, if you're going to do that.

Of course the entire practice of marking up titles is old-fashioned and unnecessary but HEY.

Oh, you know-it-all wanker!

kngen

I had a room full of people (well about six or so folk) ALL tell me I was wrong when I protested after one of them 'corrected' me, and told me the term I was looking for was 'self-depreciating' not 'self-deprecating'. "I do this for a living, you ignorant cunts!" was my reply, which is less know-it-all wanker than pedantic, bullying psychopath, I'll admit.

On the flipside, I did bite my tongue when an annoying, endless-bullshit-generating bandmate said he'd downloaded all the original Captain Pugwash episodes, and repeated the old 'Seaman Stains, Master Bates' pish, YEARS after it had long been dismissed as fable. But it was the start of a few days on the road, so for the greater good of a harmonious van ride, I said nothing. We all slagged him off for it behind his back in the pub later, though.

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: bigfatheart on November 18, 2019, 05:24:18 PM
A few years ago, a co-worker mentioned that Caroline Quentin had played Mrs Merton. When I said it was Caroline Aherne, she said no, it was definitely Caroline Quentin, and the reason she was called Mrs Merton was because it was when she was married to Paul Merton.

I mean, even though she was talking bollocks, she had such a cast-iron logic behind that bollocks that I couldn't bring myself to stick with it. Short of getting Wikipedia on my phone and going 'No, see, it was Caroline Aherne', what could I actually do?

You could have kicked her in the minge

JarrowMonkey

IT contractor last year working in the same office as me

'The Tories devised the NHS and Labour opposed it'

Brexitier and Tory, lived near Bishop Auckland, obvs

Pink Gregory

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on November 20, 2019, 07:45:29 PM
IT contractor last year working in the same office as me

'The Tories devised the NHS and Labour opposed it'

Brexitier and Tory, lived near Bishop Auckland, obvs

FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 20, 2019, 12:53:15 PM
The irony is that so-called King Mockney, Damon Albarn was born in Mile End in the sound of Bow bells which makes him a Cockney.

I thought he was from Lewisham. Not that I know London or the range of Bow Bells. Was the Pulp song written about him then?

(My comment was related to another music journo type in the mid 90s about a review in which he also went into a huge sulk because a sub changed Allbran back to Albarn. Shame because it was a totally original joke that nobody had ever thought of before. He still denied the existence of She's So High though even after I proved it to him.)

McFlymo

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 18, 2019, 02:21:45 PM
Less pedantic and more morally righteous, but I have had a couple of occasions where I've had to bite my tongue around my colleague, the only other person in my very small department, who has on one occasion made a very dated remark about trans people, and this morning warned me about going out to visit a particular area of Greenwich, because of an issue with robberies in the area committed by "gypsies".

Now she is a nice person and we get on very well, but my issue lies with the fact that in a very large company she is by a country mile the closest person to me and the one with whom I communicate every day. She's also in her mid 60s. Very difficult to pull someone up about that stuff when they are quite clearly set in their ways, especially when I don't want to jeopardise the best workplace friendship I have and tarnish a working relationship which at the moment is solid, as she thinks I'm great and is cheering me on for all manner of promotions and success and the like.

BUT SAYING "GYPSIES" IS NOT OKAY

I always find this a tough one: Getting on so well with someone then suddenly being faced with that conflict.

I've a mate who says generally bad taste things like, "I don't give a fuck about all this SJW shit... People complaining about Mexicans being killed in the new Rambo movie! FUCK OFF! Just let me enjoy seeing violence and blood and guts! Stop ruining it for me!!"

I should say: "I know, I know, it's so hard for you, with all your white, male privilege having your poor wee hollywood movie ruined by those pesky issues of a film essentially promoting racial tensions and potentially endangering the lives of ethnic minorities and refugees in the US!! How dare people be held accountable and asked not to promote hate crimes and bigotry... It's political correctness gone mad!!!"

What I actually said was more like, "huh huh huh ... you're funny... huh huh huh .... I would love to watch a ridiculously violent film, it's been too long....  hehehe [moving the subject away to find common ground to try and save my friendship with him, because I'm too spineless to confront his stupid opinions]".

It sucks being so fucking "woke" sometimes....

Endicott

famethrowa

Oh I got called an "asshole" for (correctly) pointing out that the young "composer" in our band had just written the Top Gun theme as she was showing off her newest melody. I was right though, and did her a favour. What's she gonna do, submit it to the Royal Academy and get laughed out for ripping off Steve Stevens?

Cerys

Quote from: popcorn on November 19, 2019, 09:56:02 AM
I have to restrain myself here on a regular basis when I see people using italics for song titles. That has never been in anyone's style guide. You use italics (if you're going to use them at all) for the titles of works like films, albums and novels, but not shorter things like songs, poems or short stories, which instead use quotation marks, if you're going to do that.

Of course the entire practice of marking up titles is old-fashioned and unnecessary but HEY.

Dear popcorn,

With the very greatest of respect, please go screw yourself.

Love from Cerys.

græskar

Colleague from work keeps pronouncing gnocchi as "guh-notchie", it's a neverending nightmare

Twit 2

I have had to have counselling to help me with the fact that 99.9% of people I encounter think you should pronounce the g in tagliatelle.

non capisco

"Of course, you know what the first rap record was, right? 'Rapture' by Blondie."

"Of course, you know how Harrison Ford got cast in Star Wars, right? He was a carpenter on the set! George Lucas saw him and thought 'he's perfect!' He'd never acted before that!"

popcorn

Quote from: Cerys on November 26, 2019, 12:12:24 AM
Dear popcorn,

With the very greatest of respect, please go screw yourself.

Love from Cerys.

Sigh. I knew I'd sound like a know-it-all wanker

Icehaven

Quote from: famethrowa on November 25, 2019, 11:28:37 PM
Oh I got called an "asshole" for (correctly) pointing out that the young "composer" in our band had just written the Top Gun theme as she was showing off her newest melody. I was right though, and did her a favour. What's she gonna do, submit it to the Royal Academy and get laughed out for ripping off Steve Stevens?

Had the same thing a few years back when our then singer/lyricist lifted a chunk of a very well-known Bon Jovi (ffs...) chorus for one of our songs, then petulantly refused to see it when everyone else in the band immediately noticed and pointed it out, attempting to shrug it off as 'just similar words'.

What is the Top Gun theme btw?

bgmnts

Dow dow dow dow dow dow dow dow dow
Dow dow dow
Dow dow dow
Dow dow DOW dow

Dex Sawash

famethrowa

Quote from: icehaven on November 26, 2019, 12:35:26 PM
What is the Top Gun theme btw?

Top Gun, the most effectual
Top Gun, whose intellectual
Close friends get to call him T.G
Providing it's with dignity

Top Gun
The indisputable leader of the gang
He's the boss, he's the pip
He's the championship
He's the most tip top
Top Gun

Yes he's the chief, he's the king
But above everything
He's the most tip top
Top Gun

non capisco

^ Ermmmm.....I think you'll find that's the theme tune from Boss Gun.

Dex Sawash

checkoutgirl

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 18, 2019, 01:38:27 PM
Thing is, people don't take well to being corrected

So? I correct people pretty much every time, when I know the answer. What's the point of letting people away with talking rubbish? Aren't they better off knowing the actual fact anyway? If they have a problem with being corrected then I'm not sure if they're people with the type of self esteem it's worth being around anyway. Also if you can finesse the correction it shouldn't be that bad.

I mean for fuck sake, are we living in a world now where people are afraid to correct each other for fear of coming across like a wanker? Every single time you open your mouth and sometimes even when you keep quiet you run the risk of people thinking you're a wanker. So fucking what? Get on with it.

Can you imagine scientists having that attitude? They'd never solve a single human problem.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 18, 2019, 01:55:30 PM
Reminding my brother over and over and over and over again that the show was called Peep Show not The Peep Show was trivial, pedantic and unnecessary yet probably the most morally justified correction in human history.

Oh I remember two arguments I had with a mate 20 years ago. The first one was an Eddie Izzard quote. He said it was "You would have been king of the world" and I said no, it's "You would have been President of the world". He wouldn't have it so we had to consult the VHS tape which confirmed my superiority. One nil me.

The second was more ethereal. He contended Winston Wolfe in Pulp Fiction said to the junk yard women "Of course you are a character, doesn't mean you have character". Whereas I contended he said "Because you are a character, doesn't mean you have character". I felt my vesion made more grammatical sense. I never got to prove him wrong on that one but subsequent research pointed to me once again being correct.

Now you may think that it's a bit weird to remember such trivial details two decades after the fact, especially because I haven't even spoken to the guy for 15 years. And you may well be right.