Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:48:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs where the intro is not the rest of the song.

Started by Glebe, November 18, 2019, 06:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

As a companion to this thread and well I guess there's a lot of intros that are dissimilar of the rest of the composition, but my lazy brain cannae think of too many right now.

The intro to the Velvets' 'Sweet Jane' is one of the most gorgeous little pieces of music ever.

There is of course the classic metal cliche of the album-opener with a melodic intro following by a full-on thrash onslaught, Metallica have form with this:

'Fight Fire with Fire'.

'Battery'.

'Blackened'.

The intro to 'Blackened' is off course backwards, I think they did that because on reflection they thought the original recording was a bit run-of-the-mill, which I'd certainly agree with.

Um, having a brain fart. Any more suggestions?

Paranoid. That famous intro is just that. The intro and no more.

purlieu

The Cure - A Forest. Love the riff, it never properly reappears again.
Idlewild - I Understand It. Starts with what you expect to be the verse, only for it to never appear again.
The Amorphous Androgynous - The Galaxial Pharmaceutical. Gorgeous four minute ambient intro that starts the 15 minute epic wonderfully, but doesn't directly tie in to any other part of the song.

The Manics did a few of these back in the day:
Love's Sweet Exile
Little Baby Nothing
Crucifix Kiss
Revol
PCP

Brundle-Fly

I Am The Walrus

Tracks Of My Tears

Respect

Across The Universe

Spiteface

Good one. The opening is apparently from an early, more-raucous version, which was scrapped. But you probably know that.

Sleeper - Sale of the Century

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rJEyKr7J0Wc

REM - I Believe

Features Peter Buck having a go on the banjo.

https://youtu.be/aopES6KCBQs

Sparklehorse - Someday I Will Treat You Good

Lo-fi intro section

https://youtu.be/Em6c3R_kqy8

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That big chord at the start of A Hard Day's Night?

mojo filters

Spiritualized - So Long You Pretty Thing

The girl's voice on the intro is Jason's oldest daughter Poppy Spaceman, who also gets a co-writing credit for the most annoying part of an otherwise epic anthem!

poodlefaker

Blank Generation / Richard Hell
Stay With Me / Faces

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 18, 2019, 08:52:51 PM
I Am The Walrus

That electric piano is literally the backbone of the whole song from beginning to end!

boki

Do Anything by The Wildhearts begins with a two and a half minute post-rocky instrumental, goes a little bit industrial and then settles for being a powerpop banger for the remainder because Wildhearts.  A classic example of that 90s trope of bands just casually tossing out great non-album B-sides.

Wouldn't It Be Nice with its little ice-cream van intro.

studpuppet

The Buttholes' Sweatloaf: whether it be the long synthy fade in of the album version, or the Doors pastiche of the live version, the intro bears no relationship to the main song.

Crabwalk

There must be billions of these. 'Cannonball' by The Breeders and 'I Don't Want Control of You' by Teenage Fanclub are the two that've sprung straight to mind.

Ray Travez

In a move analogous to their career, New Fads' Bruises starts with a sprightly, slightly off-kilter blast of indie guitar, before settling into an overlong serious plodder.

Ray Travez

He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's the Pilot

Miserable Lie- the start is amazing; after that it becomes, for my money, a bit of a sub-Buzzcocks thrashy bore.

Just realised that the first three tracks on REM's debut album Murmur all do this (Radio Free Europe, Pilgrimage, Laughing).

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 19, 2019, 07:36:40 PM
Wouldn't It Be Nice with its little ice-cream van intro.

Doesn't that reappear later in the bridge though, but in a different key?

Gulftastic

The horn section bit at the start of 'Never Forget' by Take That.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuZTXyp2gc

You campaigned for Cameron, Barlow. Too right i'll never forget.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on November 20, 2019, 01:36:30 PM
Doesn't that reappear later in the bridge though, but in a different key?
Yep, good point.

TheMonk

Eight Days A Week
Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?
Road To Nowhere

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've always wished that the Moneyesque intro to Dragonaut by Sleep made up more of the song. I particularly like the bit from about 45 seconds in, when the band lock into a groove. It's very groovy.