Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:03:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs where the intro is not the rest of the song.

Started by Glebe, November 18, 2019, 06:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, as reminded by shite local radio this morning.

SteveDave

Some Beatles songs. Of the t of my h- Misery, Do You Want To Know A Secret, If I Fell, Here There & Everywhere, There's A Place.

There might be more.

SpiderChrist

Gulftastic

How about one where the intro and the outro are different from the rest of the song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skQvj-aBV8

Stars On 45, with it's cracking disco beginning and ending, which are obviously completely different to whatever theme they picked for the medley in the middle.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 28, 2019, 05:25:30 PM
How about one where the intro and the outro are different from the rest of the song?

'Stay With Me' by The Faces

Petey Pate

Thing I mentioned Pete Rock in the other thread, but many beats he produced have an unrelated intro or outro.

Probably his best known track - They Reminisce Over You - is an example of this. It opens with a sample from the Bahamanian funk band The Beginning of the End which makes no appearance in the rest of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wEw05-Ef5Q

phantom_power

Office by The Pharcyde starts with a break that is then not used in the rest of the song

Jockice

Can't Stand Me Now is the first one that came into my head.

Johnny Yesno

Jockice

Banana Republic by the Boomtown Rats is the second to come into my head.

Jockice

Crap Joan Of Arc by OMD is the third one to come into my head. The dreadful Maid Of Orleans one. That should be a topic. Great/shit songs by bands on the same subject.

Ray Travez

Tiger- Storm Injector

preceded by twenty seconds of Syd Barratt-esque mewling

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

William, It Was Really Nothing by The Smiths
https://youtube.com/watch?v=P22TEf4pZZs

It's a shame really, because that opening 20 seconds is brilliant, and far better than the rather average Smiths song that follows it. I'd love to hear a song that builds upon that opening guitar riff instead.

Billy

Queen - Breakthru, which from memory adapted the intro from an unfinished song.

The funniest is Reel Big Fish - Brand New Song tho.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 19, 2019, 07:36:40 PM
Wouldn't It Be Nice with its little ice-cream van intro.

An ice cream van playing the Jim'll Fix It theme.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 19, 2020, 01:40:17 AM
An ice cream van playing the Jim'll Fix It theme.

The outro of Ice Cream Man by Tom Waits is different to the rest of the song.

Jockice

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 18, 2020, 11:45:05 PM
William, It Was Really Nothing by The Smiths
https://youtube.com/watch?v=P22TEf4pZZs

It's a shame really, because that opening 20 seconds is brilliant, and far better than the rather average Smiths song that follows it. I'd love to hear a song that builds upon that opening guitar riff instead.

If we're doing brilliant intro average song by The Smiths you surely can't beat These Things Take Time in both categories.

Johnboy

September Gurls by Big Star - masterclass in brilliant sounding efficient Stratocaster

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Jockice on February 20, 2020, 11:25:55 AM

If we're doing brilliant intro average song by The Smiths you surely can't beat These Things Take Time in both categories.

You're not thinking of Hand in Glove by any chance? 'Cos the intro to These Things Take Time is the same as the bridge (the "But I can't believe you'd ever care..." bit). I often get those two songs mixed up in the manner described in that recent 'songs which morph into other songs when you try to remember them' thread.

Edit: Hand in Glove is great, just for the record.

Double Edit: Just thinking about it, the intro to Hand in Glove is also used during the refrain and the outro, but I stand by my question!

wosl

They All Run After The Carving Knife by New Musik - begins with a minute of Vangelis/Beaubourg-ish gurgling before abruptly turning off into punchy synth-pop territory.

Jockice

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on February 20, 2020, 09:45:44 PM
You're not thinking of Hand in Glove by any chance? 'Cos the intro to These Things Take Time is the same as the bridge (the "But I can't believe you'd ever care..." bit). I often get those two songs mixed up in the manner described in that recent 'songs which morph into other songs when you try to remember them' thread.

Edit: Hand in Glove is great, just for the record.

Double Edit: Just thinking about it, the intro to Hand in Glove is also used during the refrain and the outro, but I stand by my question!

Nope. But it just may be that I think the intro to These Things Take Time is one of the great Smiths intros (topped only by that of Sheila Take A Bow) but  the rest of the song is a bit meh. Never been mad about Hand In Glove either. The b-side was infinitely better.

Actually, Sheila probably fits better into this thread title though.

DrGreggles

The intro to You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby is the best bit of that too.

rue the polywhirl

I was just thinking of George Duke's I Love You More. Stonking intro riff, sampled by Daft Punk to form the majority of Digital Love, before turning into a mostly unrelated brill but soppy love ballad and never to heard from again. Such a great song to play at a nightclub if you wanted to mess with people. Or a DJ set list where every intro to every track just cuts into the rest of I Love You More each time.

https://youtu.be/IEibygqqLZc

PaulTMA

Quote from: phantom_power on November 18, 2019, 11:18:24 PM
Man Out of Time by Elvis Costello immediately sprang to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XDuHPLzsxM

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 18, 2019, 11:27:01 PM
Good one. The opening is apparently from an early, more-raucous version, which was scrapped. But you probably know that.

It appears again at the end of the song though.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: bgmnts on February 26, 2020, 11:18:59 PM
Money for Nothing by Dire Straits

Being a bit picky here because it's not exactly the same, but Sting's I want my MTV/Don't stand so close to me refrain appears later in the song, where it was in the first place. They decided to use it later as part of the intro they thought was needed.