Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Half-Life is back you bastards

Started by popcorn, November 18, 2019, 11:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 21, 2019, 11:55:34 PM
I fully understand and appreciate that.  For the record (and this isn't aimed at you, popcorn); what I'm trying to say, in my own clumsy way, is that some fans might, understandably want or expect a silent protagonist, given that's the first two and most famous entries in the series is based around that model,  whilst simultaneously acknowledging that other fans may want and expect a verbal protagonist.  The rest?  Somewhere in the middle.

It's not crazy to think that a certain sector of the existing fanbase may expect or favour a silent protagonist.  It's not exactly a concept out of the blue.  Still trying to figure out how pointing that out makes me a "cunt" exactly.

I said this

QuoteI suppose I shouldn't have found it so odd? But it really did seem odd to me that someone would think that at first.

So what I was doing there was saying that now I'd thought about it, it wasn't so surprising that someone might expect Alyx to be a silent protagonist.

Then you said

It seemed odd to you that someone might wonder whether a series known for featuring a silent protagonist might carry forth that tradition?

Okay...

So you might have not intended it this way, but that comes across as very sarcastic, insulting.

The "Okay..." reads as you suggesting it's weird that I would think that.

Like... what else do you want from me there exactly? I've literally just said "I suppose I shouldn't have found it so odd"  So your response just really irritated me.

It may just be that I'm mad and read malicious intent into it that wasn't there and flipped.

I'm sorry, I just want this to end.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Someone call somebody a cunt again.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Thursday on November 22, 2019, 12:14:27 AM
Words, free of a due apology

Yeah, I dunno what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't to be called a "cunt".  Kinda shat your pants there, mate.  Made a right tit of yourself, so you did.  Pissed on your chips, good and proper, like.

Bit of advice; people don't tend to respect those whom interact that way online, through the anonymity of a keyboard.  Would you have been so keen to use that language face to face?  What's that?  You wouldn't?  Then why in the name of all that is decent do you do it online?  Always interact with people online, as you would face to face.  It's a good rule of thumb.  It's called integrity.

To do otherwise is to be a coward.  Now, you wouldn't want to be a coward, would you?

Mate sorry if your new to this board but cunt here just means mate.

Your being a cunt means your being my mate.

Jim Bob

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 22, 2019, 05:19:05 AM
Mate sorry if your new to this board but cunt here just means mate.

Your being a cunt means your being my mate.

Cheers, cunt.  You're a good cunt.

peanutbutter

RE silent protagonist whatevers, is the weird bit not that a talking one in a VR game is a bit of a mind fuck? Like, it's all immersive as fuck but they decide you need a voice coming from you that's not you? What?

kittens

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 22, 2019, 05:15:32 AM
Yeah, I dunno what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't to be called a "cunt".  Kinda shat your pants there, mate.  Made a right tit of yourself, so you did.  Pissed on your chips, good and proper, like.

Bit of advice; people don't tend to respect those whom interact that way online, through the anonymity of a keyboard.  Would you have been so keen to use that language face to face?  What's that?  You wouldn't?  Then why in the name of all that is decent do you do it online?  Always interact with people online, as you would face to face.  It's a good rule of thumb.  It's called integrity.

To do otherwise is to be a coward.  Now, you wouldn't want to be a coward, would you?

what the fuck is wrong with you. fuck off

madhair60

is it OK to say that I want to have it off with Alyx? will this game facilitate that? i assume there's a fully rigged VR Alyx getting a meat colonic from the boys at Valve every night. sorry if this is sexist.

Space ghost

If this thread was a spiritual realm it would be the aidstral plane.

Jim Bob

Quote from: kittens on November 22, 2019, 08:21:37 AM
what the fuck is wrong with you.

Ah, the eternal question.  I've thought about it long and hard, yet I cannot come up with a satisfactory answer.

Quote from: kittens on November 22, 2019, 08:21:37 AMfuck off

Well, I never!

Jim Bob

[I SUPPOSE THAT madhair60 IS RIGHT]

Also; spruce moose!

madhair60

H-O-W-L

Quote from: madhair60 on November 22, 2019, 08:22:44 AM
is it OK to say that I want to have it off with Alyx? will this game facilitate that? i assume there's a fully rigged VR Alyx getting a meat colonic from the boys at Valve every night. sorry if this is sexist.

Mate, she's just a pair of hands now.

Jim Bob

EDIT: Poof. Just like that, the message has gone.

Don't worry, you're not missing out on anything.  It was only the meaning of life, is all.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 22, 2019, 09:34:01 AM
No, no.  People shouldn't type things which they wouldn't be willing to say to someone directly.  I feel very strongly about this.  I want to have an open discussion.  Why is that a bad thing?  Could it be possible that if he engaged with me directly, that he might realise that I'm a human being, with feelings and treat me as such?  Could it be that maybe, just maybe, freed of the anonymity that a keyboard provides, we might possibly engage in a more civil manner?  That per chance we might come to a greater understanding of each other and debate with respect?  I'd care to find out.

grand dad go bed

earl_sleek

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

There is precedent for a previously vocal character shutting their trap when you take control of them, with Barney in the Blue Shift expansion pack. Then again Alyx is a lot chattier than those Black Mesa security guards ever were. Either way, it doesn't put me off playing the game (having to fork out for VR does).

What was the first FPS to have a voiced protagunnist? Duke Nukem 3D?

Jerzy Bondov

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

samadriel

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 22, 2019, 11:11:17 AM
The Doom guy said UNHH and ARGGH

You hear Gordon Freeman exhale when you hit the sprint button.

popcorn

Quote from: samadriel on November 22, 2019, 11:46:00 AM
You hear Gordon Freeman exhale when you hit the sprint button.

That's the HEV suit doing some sort of decompression/air noise.

Or Gordon cracking open a delicious Pepsi after his exertion.

marquis_de_sad

backdrifter

Am super-pumped for this. Though I doubt it's actually worth buying a whole headset if it's the only game you care about.

If you never had a proper go in VR (with motion controllers) I highly recommend it - play on a friend's or go to a VR arcade (assuming they exist). Some game suggestions: Tiltbrush, GORN, SuperHot and Standout.

Mister Six

I don't understand why anyone gives a shit about whether the protagonist speaks or not, but I do understand why it might seem odd in a VR game.

Anyway, I reckon this will be serviceable enough but unspectacular. HL2 was overrated anyway.

H-O-W-L

Realistically speaking everything critical in my body is screaming that this will be shit on chips with arse toast, and not just because I'm a cynic.

Everyone at Valve who was majorly involved with Half-Life 2's aesthetics and world building has left or has not been confirmed to work on this project. Valve have neglected the Half-Life IP up until this point and now they're acting like they've always cared, right after their last game flopped (the game they were putting all their weight and care into) and basically sank the DOTA 2 IP with it. It's coming out alongside Valve's push into their own VR gear. It's also coming out seemingly after a very short development time, especially compared to Half-Life 2's ten odd years.

Pretty much everything about this screams "bad idea" to me. Almost none of the original cast or crew is involved, and as far as we can see it's basically going to reboot the Half-Life 2 timeline since more than a couple elements already contradict what was in HL2's visual storytelling.

I think HL2 was vastly overrated but I also think it was a very well-made game with a very unique style. This looks like a Wolfenstein game re-badged to sell VR. Not looking forward to it.

MojoJojo

It will have had three years of development compared to Half-life 2's five, and it's a larger team apparently. Wolpak is working on it as a contractor.

That said, I'm not hopeful since VR is just not good for FPS. Unless you do some weird non-euclidean thing like "Tea for God" you have to add in some sort of teleport mechanic which is distracting.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mister Six on December 02, 2019, 03:29:01 AM
HL2 was overrated anyway.
You are a mental

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 02, 2019, 01:52:49 PM
I think HL2 was vastly overrated
I think you are a poo-head

No sense arguing about it, but it won all the awards and received all the plaudits and is still being played 15 years after it came out for a reason.

Thursday

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 02, 2019, 03:14:58 PM

No sense arguing about it, but it won all the awards and received all the plaudits and is still being played 15 years after it came out
Exactly overrated.

(I think it's brilliant, but like 9/10 not 10/10)

popcorn

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 02, 2019, 01:52:49 PM
It's coming out alongside Valve's push into their own VR gear.

By this same logic, HL2 a cynical effort to get Steam on everyone's PCs, and Mario 64 was a cynical effort to get everyone to buy N64s.

The point is to create a great product to drive technology and industry change and makes loads of money. Is that cynical? I guess so, insofar as any effort to make a product people want and sell it for money is cynical. But you couldn't exactly call this a cash-in, could you? it's not like they've released Half-Life 3 in pog form, is it?

QuoteIt's also coming out seemingly after a very short development time, especially compared to Half-Life 2's ten odd years.

HL2 was about five years, not ten. IIRC Alyx started in 2015, so it'll end up being about the same (and with a bigger team), not including time spent on various abandoned Half-Lifes before it.

QuoteAlmost none of the original cast or crew is involved, and as far as we can see it's basically going to reboot the Half-Life 2 timeline since more than a couple elements already contradict what was in HL2's visual storytelling.

But they also still have lots of the old school crew, such as Robin Walker.

I think there's every reason to be optimistic about this game. Valve's pedigree for AAA first-person stuff is second to none and the trailer looks good. I have very high expectations for the VR-ness of it, interacting with objects and the environment. Honestly if anyone's going to attempt an AAA "this will make you shit yourselves lads" VR game I'm glad it's Valve and I'm glad it's Half-Life.

My main fears are that the game will end up feeling small or limited due to movement restrictions, that Alyx will never shut up and be annoying, and that it will make me be sick on my socks. I am also a bit disappointed that it's still in City 17 with the same characters and not another big stylistic leap in time and place like HL2 was, but then I suppose HL1 was easier to start afresh from considering everything they set up with the episodes.