Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:13:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shenmue III is out

Started by Jerzy Bondov, November 19, 2019, 08:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Shenmue III comes out today. How mad to be able to write that sentence. My copy came in the post yesterday. First impressions: it's a disc in a box.

I've been waiting half my life for this fucking game. It seemed like it would never happen, but now it has happened, and I've got it in my house. Incredible. The only problem is I've sold my PS4 so I can't actually play it.

Still. It's exciting isn't it. Has anybody 1) Got the game and 2) Got the means to play the game?

bgmnts

Oh yeah. I dont have a console at the moment but I hope it is somewhat good.

Jerzy Bondov

It's on PC as well but I'm a Switch boi now

It's also an Epic store exclusive which naturally means it's evil

bgmnts

Dont forget it raked in a fortune on kickstarter and then went to a Publisher, so not exactly the most ethical of foundations.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Why have you bought a game for a console you don't own? This seems dense.

Jerzy Bondov

I Kickstarteredered Shenmue III in 2015. I sold my PS4 this year to become full time Switch boi.

popcorn

I've got a PS4 but no disc.

Perhaps we could team up?

popcorn

Why did they let Suzuki fix the logo?

Lemming

£45 on Epic store! Fuck that, I'll just watch a stream of it, unplug my keyboard and press loads of keys while watching to pretend like I'm playing it.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Lemming on November 19, 2019, 12:10:00 PM
£45 on Epic store! Fuck that, I'll just watch a stream of it, unplug my keyboard and press loads of keys while watching to pretend like I'm playing it.

You could always do what I'll be doing and pirate it, because fuck the Epic store.

EDIT: It doesn't look like I'll be doing that either, as upon checking, my PC doesn't actually meet the minimum system requirements.  Guess I'll be playing this in around 10 years time.  Ah well, I've waiting 18 years for this, I can wait another decade.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Looks a bit shaky and unsteady, like it was done by an elderly man.

Oh...

bgmnts

It genuinely upsets me, it looks fucking vile and I hate it.

popcorn

Jim Bob

It looks like someone's uprezzed an image in Photoshop at twice its native resolution, so that it's gone all pixely.

PlanktonSideburns

Looks like he was mugged by Papyrus font in an alleyway and a police sketch artist made this based on the description

PlanktonSideburns

It looks like a new Indian takeaway place's menu has been placed on trial and a courthouse artist has tried to render the look of shame and guilt into his artwork

popcorn

I have taken steps towards playing this. I have got my PS4 out of a drawer and put it under my TV.

Tomorrow I will plug something in. I haven't decided if it will be the TV or the power.

madhair60

Now that St Eddie is gone, I can say Shenmue was always shit and nobody can correct me.

NoSleep

Jerzy Bondov

I think the S on the logo is very good. Great start, thinks Suzuki-senpai to himself. This logo is going to look mint. Then he gets stung by a bee.

Jim Bob

I don't think that we should be mocking Michael J Fox's newfound interest in Japanese calligraphy.

Quote from: madhair60 on November 20, 2019, 08:25:35 AM
Now that St Eddie is gone...

Yeah, what ever happened to that utter prick?  Awful man.

madhair60

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 20, 2019, 09:26:12 AMYeah, what ever happened to that utter prick?  Awful man.

(Narrows eyes, fixes you with a stare)

Yes. What ever.

Consignia

Just started this. I was a backer, but it was completely off my radar until it popped up unexpectedly in my inbox.

It feels like a Dreamcast game in every single way so far. It looks like one, it sounds like one, it plays like I remember the original. It hits nostalgia buttons, but I'm unsure I'll be able to handle it's foibles to completion. And I really loved the orignials back in the day.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Consignia on November 23, 2019, 11:08:06 PM
It feels like a Dreamcast game in every single way so far. It looks like one, it sounds like one, it plays like I remember the original. It hits nostalgia buttons, but I'm unsure I'll be able to handle it's foibles to completion. And I really loved the orignials back in the day.

You see, to me, this sounds perfect.  I didn't want the wonky wheel to be reinvented.  I wanted the proverbial wheel to be as janky and broken as it's always been.  I'd rather a set of 3 plates with chips in them, than two janky plates and one pristine one.  Consistency is important to me.

popcorn

Played the first two hours of this last night.

It's a weird one... as I expected it would be. It has preserved many of the original game's foibles - the terrible voice acting and script, the weird editing, the lack of action - which I agree is good and right. But it's transplanted into an underwhelming UE4 context. Everything looks unnaturally bright (Ryo's jeans are dazzling blue), so it doesn't have the same sense of melancholy. The sort of environment that would feel rich and mysterious on Dreamcast here feels small and cheap.

They've added crap new game features too, so you find herbs to pick in fields, and you have to keep eating cabbages and potatoes to stop your health falling. It's all sub-GTA3 open-world crap. Why was this necessary?

The word for it is uncanny - recognisably Shenmue in surprising ways, but not the same.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The having to eat thing sounds like it would dissuade you from actually wanting to explore the world, which is odd for a Shenmue game. It probably is a case of it being one man's vanity project, so there's nobody around to say, "No, don't put that in, because it's shit and adds absolutely nothing".
I'll get it in six months when it's a tenner, and hopefully all the bullshit has been patched.

Consignia

You don't have to eat as long as you aren't getting into any fights, as health regenerates to a certain threshold. It is quite low though, and stops you running everywhere. I guess it's supposed to be realistic, but I don't think running across a small village requires eating 10 pears to get your energy back.

popcorn

does Ryo die if I don't eat enough pears?

Spiteface

Quote from: Consignia on November 23, 2019, 11:08:06 PM
Just started this. I was a backer, but it was completely off my radar until it popped up unexpectedly in my inbox.

I haven't bothered with it. My caring for it was an all-time low purely because it had been so long, I had accepted it wouldn't happen and Yakuza filled the gap nicely.

Then the "remasters" of I and II came out and I didn't like them. They have not aged well, and it sounds like this is more of the same.

popcorn