Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New DJ Shadow album ‘our pathetic age’

Started by thugler, November 19, 2019, 06:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thugler

Anyone heard this yet? I've just dipped into the first disk so far, bit of a sprawling double album. Not bad so far, spacy instrumentals that have a bit of herbie hancock about them.

alan nagsworth

seen the cover art? may i be the first to say "ok boomer"

thugler

Yeah, the 'ooh phones and the internet are destroying society' stuff is so played out.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thugler on November 19, 2019, 08:36:51 PM
Yeah, the 'ooh phones and the internet are destroying society' stuff is so played out.

I.e. ...

alan nagsworth

i apologise if that's a derailment by the way. i should really get round to listening to more of his recent stuff

Brundle-Fly

momatt

I like it.
The instrumental disc is pretty mental.  The rap disc is great, he's got some very good guests on that.

He's done a Hip Hop Saved My Life episode with Romesh Ranganathan too.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7kirPYJBlinTA741DHb8cb

mrfridge

I think the rap disc is better than the instrumentals. There's a few tracks on the former that don't really go anywhere but overall it's pretty solid. I'd give it a B- which for a Shadow album since The Private Press is not bad!

Well there you go, that's my hard hitting summation. This must be what my music journalism career never took off.

thugler

Preferred the instrumental disk i think, has some nice weird tracks on more like his old stuff, but tails off a bit. The rap disk is solid but nothing particularly remarkable about it. Best since private press sounds about right. Not sure if it will stay with me after a few listens

It's not a bad album, but I was just left with an overwhelming feeling that every track had been written with the express intention of licensing out to documentary and commercial makers.

phantom_power

Not as good as his last album, which was the real return to form