Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb season 10.

Started by Dusty Substance, November 19, 2019, 07:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Don't think there's been a thread about this but Jeff Garlin recently announced (accidentally) via Instagram that the tenth season of Curb Your Enthusiasm returns in January 2020. The show also turns a ridiculous twenty years old next year (or 20 this year if you factor in the TV movie/pilot).

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/11/curb-your-enthusiasm-january-2020/

The last couple of seasons weren't, on average, up to the standards of the first five or six seasons but did include an absolute classic episode in the shape of Palestinian Chicken in 2011. The Fatwa season wasn't great and I've not had the desire to revisit them, unlike the others which I can watch almost endlessly - "Having said that" the pickle episode did feature an all time favourite Leon moment.

I've been dipping back into some of the episodes over the last week - Oh boy, I forgot just how bloody awful Gervais is in his episode. A shame as the premise and story is a good one. Plus I hadn't twigged that was Samantha Mathis in that episode.

So, anyone excited for season ten? Will it be too strange watching a 72 year old going on a string of awkward dates?

Brundle-Fly

I really enjoyed the Fatwa season. One of the last episodes was almost like a bizarro version of The Good Place. The one where Larry is seen to redeem himself through all his selfish actions over previous seasons.

Mobius

The latest season was really good, took me a second watch though. Curb is one of those shows I watch on repeat so much that a new episode/new jokes never meet the hype initially. It also had that new shiny feel of telly nowadays, which was a bit jarring.

Can't wait for the new season but it just won't be the same without Funkhauser.

BlodwynPig

Malcy

Binged the last series in one go a couple of weeks ago. Hadn't seen it since it came out. Lot of great stuff in it.

Will be a shame to only have a little bit of Funkhouser. I think the series was delayed because of his death. I wonder will it be addressed. I don't remember Larry's dad being mentioned last series. Could be because the actor who played him died just after series 9 started but can't recall him even being spoke about.

Brundle-Fly

I can't imagine Funkhouser's absence will be met in CYE with anything maudlin.

TheMonk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 19, 2019, 10:59:29 PM
I can't imagine Funkhouser's absence will be met in CYE with anything maudlin.
Sounds correct:

Garlin, who is also an executive producer, tells me that while Einstein obviously does not appear in the new season, his character will be mentioned. "By the way, no, we don't talk about his character dying on the show," he says. "Why do we need that on a comedy show? That doesn't fit on our show. There is no melancholy on Curb Your Enthusiasm."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeff-garlin-reveals-details-from-curb-your-enthusiasm-season-10-my-favorite-premise-yet

Replies From View

RIP Little Orphan Funkhauser

Malcy

Jim Bob

Quote from: Malcy on December 02, 2019, 10:19:24 AM
Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViCeyLHhnrk

Over the past couple of years, Larry David seems to have developed that old man tortoise neck look.

Noodle Lizard

I tried re-watching Season 9 recently and it's not a fun experience. Everything about it looks, sounds and feels off, from the incongruous opening drone shot onwards. The uncharacteristically quick turnaround of this upcoming season is confusing - maybe Larry & co. weren't too fond of S9 either and want a do-over?

Anyway, always grateful for more Curb to watch, but I think it should have ended with Season 7. The odd good moment in the seasons since hasn't justified them sacrificing such a perfect series finale.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 04, 2019, 11:57:07 PM
...always grateful for more Curb to watch, but I think it should have ended with Season 7. The odd good moment in the seasons since hasn't justified them sacrificing such a perfect series finale.

It's interesting that you should say that, as I personally thought that the final scene of the season 8 finale was the perfect send off for the show; with Larry taking his argumentative ways to another country (Paris).

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 05, 2019, 01:09:37 AM
It's interesting that you should say that, as I personally thought that the final scene of the season 8 finale was the perfect send off for the show; with Larry taking his argumentative ways to another country (Paris).

Yeah, that felt like another jab at a "full-circle finale", but it was far weaker than Season 7's. 'Mon, now. Season 7 has them basically doing a Seinfeld reunion, addressing all the issues people had with the actual Seinfeld reunion, and then ends on him being doomed to repeat the same mistakes by interrogating the recently re-won love-of-his-life about her respect for wood. That's it! That's everything the show ever needed to do: each character, narrative (and meta-narrative) thread wonderfully tied up. Write "END" and leave it there, for fuck's sake. Who needed an episode with Ricky Gervais in it?

Mobius

I'm just glad Coogan got on first, and was loads better

Jim Bob

Quote from: Mobius on December 05, 2019, 04:17:18 AM
I'm just glad Coogan got on first, and was loads better

Oh, yes.  He's absolutely marvelous in that episode.

Malcy

Quote from: Dineen on December 08, 2019, 09:48:10 PM
Episode details, apart from the last one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Curb_Your_Enthusiasm_episodes#Season_10

Air date 19th Jan (US only?).

Not sure who has shown it in the UK recently as I've always downloaded it or bought the dvds. It started on BBC4 and then it was Sky Atlantic I think.

Interesting to see that Cheryl Hines is directing ep 3.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dineen on December 08, 2019, 09:48:10 PM
Episode details, apart from the last one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Curb_Your_Enthusiasm_episodes#Season_10

Air date 19th Jan (US only?).

A few predictions...

Side Sitting - Larry notices how some people sit to the side on a chair and how it takes up more room than necessary and encroaches upon the personal space of the person sat next to them, with hilarious consequences.

Artificial Fruit - Larry fails to spot the difference between a real pear and an artificial pear, with hilarious consequences.

The Ugly Section - Larry notices how a group of ugly people tend to sit together, relegated to the corner of the room at parties, with hilarious consequences.

Malcy

Full trailer. Looks great, some faces not seen for a while in it as well.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=u7bnE6XiOEQ

Bazooka

Was offended by the shorts dialogue, but then John Hamm makes a cameo and the world seems right.

Malcy

Quote from: Bazooka on December 11, 2019, 09:33:16 PM
Was offended by the shorts dialogue, but then John Hamm makes a cameo and the world seems right.

I think Larry has found his new best friend in Jon Hamm.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Malcy on December 11, 2019, 09:37:30 PM
I think Larry has found his new best friend in Jon Hamm.

Hamm must be kosher.

Schnapple

Hahaha, the opening bit about Suzy's hat really got me, as did the sight of Richard Lewis hurling a bread roll at a door. The little things in this show between the cast are still really funny.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Schnapple on December 12, 2019, 12:48:48 AM
Hahaha, the opening bit about Suzy's hat really got me, as did the sight of Richard Lewis hurling a bread roll at a door. The little things in this show between the cast are still really funny.

I don't think I could ever get bored of watching Larry argue with Suzy and/or Richard Lewis.

That trailer made me laugh a lot.

Mobius

Brilliant trailer, properly funny.

Larry's old secretary, Cheryl's sister.. nice to see

BritishHobo

Is that lovely Richard Kind back as Larry's cousin at the dinner as well?

Malcy

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 12, 2019, 07:17:30 AM
Is that lovely Richard Kind back as Larry's cousin at the dinner as well?

Yep Cousin Andy. Brief glimpse of Mocha Joe in there as well.

lipsink

I really hope this is better than the awful Season 9 which did the impossible and made you not on Larry's side.

Schnapple

Quote from: Malcy on December 12, 2019, 09:14:13 AM
Yep Cousin Andy.

Oh my, the episode in which he and Larry's father break the news that his mother has died and already been buried really is one of the greats.

"Rabbi spoke beautifully... Turkey? No, I had turkey for lunch."

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Mobius on December 12, 2019, 01:56:54 AM
Brilliant trailer, properly funny.

Cheryl's sister

Fucking hell THAT'S why that woman in always sunny looked so familiar , jesus I haven't watched old curb for years and now I can picture her in the episodes haha